Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

This is an idea I posted several months ago:

I'd like to see a feature similar to that of Cricket Coach and be able to design bowling plans which then could be assigned to individual bowlers. The more skilled the bowler equals the better execution of the plan. This would improve the AI bowling a great deal and by being able to share the plans via the academy the possibilities would be endless.

A bowler could be assigned say up to 5 plans for each: Attacking, Normal, Defensive. This would mean if you were to face a team with 5 bowlers you could potentially be facing 75 different ways the AI would be trying to take your wicket and each team could be set up uniquely.

ha... i just spent 10,000 words writing what you said in 100 words :)

re sledging, chirping in the field, plan execution or whatever, i think it should be there and a temperament setting can vary how it effects players - so you've got a Steve Waugh type, who it won't really effect and then you've got Ian Bell who will give up if a bird chirrups 5 fields away.[DOUBLEPOST=1439296441][/DOUBLEPOST]
You wouldn't need that much info -the finer detail will be in the execution. But I do think you need to be able to "tell the field what to expect (line/length/pace)".

genuinely don't see what it adds from a human bowler perspective: i've set a 7-2 field, obviously i'm bowling a offstump line but it doesn't mean the fine leg can snooze.

One thing I did find with my leg spin career player is that I'd bowl to a plan and would broadly be able to hold the batsmen to a good economy rate, but would then fearsome tweak up and mess up my stick twirling and bowl some trash down the leg side that the AI would often hit straight down the midwicket fielders throat, or before the patches miss and deflect onto the stumps off their thigh. I suppose that it's somewhat realistic that bad balls sometimes take wickets because the batsman attacks them but messes up, but

This is admittedly influenced by pre-patch 3 AI play on PS3 because I'm fiddling with mods before I start my career, this probably has been refined by the patches.

One thing I did find with my leg spin career player is that I'd bowl to a plan and would broadly be able to hold the batsmen to a good economy rate, but would then fearsome tweak up and mess up my stick twirling and bowl some trash down the leg side that the AI would often hit straight down the midwicket fielders throat, or before the patches miss and deflect onto the stumps off their thigh. I suppose that it's somewhat realistic that bad balls sometimes take wickets because the batsman attacks them but messes up, but

This is admittedly influenced by pre-patch 3 AI play on PS3 because I'm fiddling with mods before I start my career, this probably has been refined by the patches.

don't think the patches affected AI batting at all, or best very minor changes.

I dunno about minor. The one thing that did change considerably was match awareness... Biggest change I noticed was they now chase down totals with intent and the AI certainly throws the bat at it in the shorter forms. I can still have a reasonably challenging match vs AI when it's batting... Bowling/field sets is still a little bit of a crapshoot.

"Cheerleaders, would be more appropriate."

Not sure about cheerleaders in cricket, it’s like when your watching football or cricket and your wife or girlfriend walks in and stands in front of the TV.

I'm going to start using [/ClassicBiggs] after I say things now...

I think that might be was a case of the Biggs brand of

being facetious.

...and if my wife or girlfriend walks in front of the TV she gets a cat thrown at her [/ClassicBiggs?]

I'm sure I'll be instantly corrected if this currently exists but I find that that sweep-shot always goes very square. So I'd like to see either a finer sweep added or the ability to play the ball fine behind square through timing.

Yeah, I can seem to get it anything other than directly to square leg, over square leg or caught out at square leg. The modifier for a slog is nice though but dammed if I can hit it for six...

I'm sure I'll be instantly corrected if this currently exists but I find that that sweep-shot always goes very square. So I'd like to see either a finer sweep added or the ability to play the ball fine behind square through timing.

i find timing of the sweep gives to a reasonable range in front of and behind square, though i'd say for sure you can get it further in front of square (e.g. through mid wicket) than you can behind square - it's difficult to get it fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1439372466][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, I can seem to get it anything other than directly to square leg, over square leg or caught out at square leg. The modifier for a slog is nice though but dammed if I can hit it for six...

i've hit one or two reverse sweeps for 6, but never managed the standard sweep for 6.

i find timing of the sweep gives to a reasonable range in front of and behind square, though i'd say for sure you can get it further in front of square (e.g. through mid wicket) than you can behind square - it's difficult to get it fine.
Yeah thats correct, a well timed sweep can easily be hit in the mid wicket region for a boundary...But hitting fine is reasonably hard...Maybe we must just aim for that area in the practice match and see because our fingers usually aim at the square leg area than the fine...

Yeah thats correct, a well timed sweep can easily be hit in the mid wicket region for a boundary...But hitting fine is reasonably hard...Maybe we must just aim for that area in the practice match and see because our fingers usually aim at the square leg area than the fine...

yeah, my experience is you can hit with reasonable timing between midwicket and just behind backward point. any finer than that and it's going to be less well timed or even edged.

actually, this discussion of sweeps and timing reminds me - yesterday morning playing online vs @kushari i was very early on a top-edged slog sweep and was caught at mid-on, it was an excellent very realistic dismissal spoiled only by the ball going in a straight line, again!

yeah, my experience is you can hit with reasonable timing between midwicket and just behind backward point. any finer than that and it's going to be less well timed or even edged.

I think this again shows for me that there would be a lot to gain by removing the double trigger aggressive ground shots and replacing them with guided shots. So for the sweep you could have three options, the 2 current ones (slog and square) and the third being a sweep down to fine leg. Which I guess would lead to four as you could also add a slog sweep to fine leg.

I think this again shows for me that there would be a lot to gain by removing the double trigger aggressive ground shots and replacing them with guided shots. So for the sweep you could have three options, the 2 current ones (slog and square) and the third being a sweep down to fine leg. Which I guess would lead to four as you could also add a slog sweep to fine leg.

out of interest, why that rather than just expand the directional input range of the sweep?

out of interest, why that rather than just expand the directional input range of the sweep?

I don't have a preference to be honest Dave. Either system would be fine but it should be down to timing rather than adding a shot. I would however like to see the double trigger shots replaced though, as I don't see what purpose they serve (apart from the ridiculous less edges). I can hit boundaries with a non-trigger off-drive for example so they don't really add to the batting in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread