• Yes it should be added.

Votes: 105 42.7%
  • No!! It should never be added

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • Maybe, or should be added and optional

Votes: 89 36.2%

• Total voters
Agreed

Batting mechanic is so good and hard to master pressing button to pop up radar to see field will simply speed things up and have no detrimental effect on game

Agree on batting mechanics, actually it seems impossible to master for me at-least (I mean by mastering is average more 50 for career or team scoring avg >220 in ODI or >350 in test >140 in T20). However I do not check field setting on every ball, actually only once cutscene plays in one or two overs or if I am on hitting spree. Other than that I just look for fielders and remember and now after patch its quite easy to locate and identify all fielders.

Hi Guys

I maybe a little late on this thread as I have just recently purchased this game. I have read lots of pros and cons of a fielding radar or a mini-map. I am completely for a mini map or a radar. The simple reason is below:

1) When I come out to bat in real life I know exactly where the field is and where the gaps are. I will try and place my shots in those place. Whether I am successful or not is a different issue altogether. Also a mini map or radar just saves sometime of looking around the field every time (I have noticed field changes happen even without cut scenes)

2) When I am batting in real life I can take my time to look around the field (do some gardening as well if I want) and then bat. It does not have to be time imposed of 5 seconds. If time is not imposed and the field is not randomly changed then yes there is no need for a radar, as this will suit the purpose.

Then again it brings us down to square one, if it is to serve the same purpose, why not have a mini map or a radar in the first place.

Hi Guys

I maybe a little late on this thread as I have just recently purchased this game. I have read lots of pros and cons of a fielding radar or a mini-map. I am completely for a mini map or a radar. The simple reason is below:

1) When I come out to bat in real life I know exactly where the field is and where the gaps are. I will try and place my shots in those place. Whether I am successful or not is a different issue altogether. Also a mini map or radar just saves sometime of looking around the field every time (I have noticed field changes happen even without cut scenes)

2) When I am batting in real life I can take my time to look around the field (do some gardening as well if I want) and then bat. It does not have to be time imposed of 5 seconds. If time is not imposed and the field is not randomly changed then yes there is no need for a radar, as this will suit the purpose.

Then again it brings us down to square one, if it is to serve the same purpose, why not have a mini map or a radar in the first place.

I personally think it should be only as an option if it's ever done, as there are a large number of people who seem upset at the idea of the fielding radar. Even if it popped up for 2 secs and then faded/disappeared.

There are also a large number of people who are upset if an option is even inserted into the game somewhere and is even turned off by default. This one surprised me at first, but it seems implied that those people are scared they may be tempted to use it (which implies it's usefulness).

The feedback that's been available so far, suggests that Big Ant are not keen on it, due to the feeling of authenticity that is supposed to come from holding down L2 and looking around the field. I find that this is for me still less than realistic, mostly due to the time it takes to pick out the depth of field for each player and log that away in your mind. It does take the fun out of the game at times due to slowing down proceedings.

Anyhow, as for your post, I think you made your point well and the poll speaks strongly that an option would be good, although the general feeling so far is that this is unlikely to happen, sadly.

The impression I've got from other posts I've read though is that the random changing of sides by the bowler and field changing may be addressed.

I'd just like it if there was an option that made the field stay the same for all bowlers and/or the batsmen at each end (until you change it yourself). This can slow down games a lot and not sure if it's great as is for online.

Last edited:
I am used to no radar now -the only issue I would like to see addressed is when AI changes field and you don't get cut scene indication of this happening

Be nice for a pop up message stating 'field change' before facing next delivery so you can look around

I am used to no radar now -the only issue I would like to see addressed is when AI changes field and you don't get cut scene indication of this happening

Be nice for a pop up message stating 'field change' before facing next delivery so you can look around

Big change to the field takes a loading screen [ground view] and then commentary as well ...But of the change is minimal like long on brought in as mid on deep mid on..Then its quick refresh like effect and only in such cases the change in field is not told by commentators...

Might be a problem when you switch off the commentary in the game..:p

I believe that there shouldn't be a fielding radar at all. When test cricketers play matches, do they have to look a radar to determine where to hit the ball? I like the fact when batting you have to survey and scan the field, pick the gaps and hit it over the in-field to score runs. I certainly prefer a much more challenging game than a game where it is hit the ball out of the park every delivery and score 500 in a T20 match.

I like where BA (Big Ant) is headed with DBC in the future and hope that the next-gen of cricket games is challenging, realistic, fun and rewarding at the same time. The satisfaction of hitting a beautiful cover drive through the in-field or scooping shots for six off Shaun Tait (AKA Brendan Mccullum) is something I'd always love in a cricket game.

I believe that there shouldn't be a fielding radar at all. When test cricketers play matches, do they have to look a radar to determine where to hit the ball?

Why do you believe that there shouldn't be an option available for other players who want it? Fine if you don't need it at all, but why decide for others what would work for them?

Also, no test players don't look at a radar, but then again test players aren't in their lounge rooms in a hurry to get in a certain number of overs etc, before going out, doing your weekly work, going to an appointment etc? There are other things you could say would be more realistic too, why not get rid of the controllers and make move/kinect compulsory? Perhaps because it's all a bit less comfortable than what you want.

I like the fact when batting you have to survey and scan the field, pick the gaps and hit it over the in-field to score runs. I certainly prefer a much more challenging game than a game where it is hit the ball out of the park every delivery and score 500 in a T20 match.

It's good you like it, but do you actually think the game should cater to others as well? It could be an option (switched off) that you yourself would never have to touch.

Finally a radar popping up for 2 secs and disappearing each ball would not make the game too easy. The radar on recent Ashes games had a permanent unmoving radar, a great huge cone pointing in a direction and the game itself was easy to play and you could almost put a shot anywhere.

Don Bradman Cricket would not be substantively easier with a radar popping up and then going away. It'd just take less time to play, which is crucial for some.

I believe that there shouldn't be a fielding radar at all. When test cricketers play matches, do they have to look a radar to determine where to hit the ball? I like the fact when batting you have to survey and scan the field, pick the gaps and hit it over the in-field to score runs. I certainly prefer a much more challenging game than a game where it is hit the ball out of the park every delivery and score 500 in a T20 match.

I like where BA (Big Ant) is headed with DBC in the future and hope that the next-gen of cricket games is challenging, realistic, fun and rewarding at the same time. The satisfaction of hitting a beautiful cover drive through the in-field or scooping shots for six off Shaun Tait (AKA Brendan Mccullum) is something I'd always love in a cricket game.

Fielding radar and hitting every delivery for a 6 are two totally different things, and as far as I can tell not mutually exclusive. Adding a fielding radar will not make you Bradman all of a sudden and if you think batting will get easier by viewing the radar, you can choose to disable the radar. I think you need to read the post by @C A Iversen just a few posts above yours'.

Edit: Ignore my post as Iversen's already covered most of the points in his response.

Last edited:
I'm not keen on a radar, because another moving part is another part to go wrong.

I am keen on having the UI restrictions because of online play (only having a few seconds to look around, only being able to do one of check bowler/check confidence/check field) removed, though.

I like looking around the field to check if anyone has moved. I dislike that I have to choose which thing to check.

Radar

I personally think it should be only as an option if it's ever done, as there are a large number of people who seem upset at the idea of the fielding radar. Even if it popped up for 2 secs and then faded/disappeared.

There are also a large number of people who are upset if an option is even inserted into the game somewhere and is even turned off by default. This one surprised me at first, but it seems implied that those people are scared they may be tempted to use it (which implies it's usefulness).

The feedback that's been available so far, suggests that Big Ant are not keen on it, due to the feeling of authenticity that is supposed to come from holding down L2 and looking around the field. I find that this is for me still less than realistic, mostly due to the time it takes to pick out the depth of field for each player and log that away in your mind. It does take the fun out of the game at times due to slowing down proceedings.

Anyhow, as for your post, I think you made your point well and the poll speaks strongly that an option would be good, although the general feeling so far is that this is unlikely to happen, sadly.

The impression I've got from other posts I've read though is that the random changing of sides by the bowler and field changing may be addressed.

I'd just like it if there was an option that made the field stay the same for all bowlers and/or the batsmen at each end (until you change it yourself). This can slow down games a lot and not sure if it's great as is for online.

Hey there,

Yeah I think you make a few good points there.

Yes I think people just feel that it might get easier to hit if there is a radar there. But to make a game tough I do not think this route is preferable. There are certain things for which a game has to be a game. The radar or a view by holding L2 gives you more or less the same idea especially when it quotes where the player is standing eg. mid off, long on etc, its just way slower. And, if you play a few shots at say cover where there is no fielder, then there is no cut scene which tells you there is a player at cover, you then lose your wicket because now there is a fielder there. I think this is more unrealistic. I have lost a wicket because I did not know a fielder was there. I cannot think of an instance in real cricket wherein a player lost his wicket because he did not know a fielder being placed somewhere. So increasing difficulty is ok, make it as tough as you want, but make hitting the shot tough not getting a freak wicket.

I agree, signs are Big Ant doesn't want to change this, but you have to question the intentions. Couldn't make the gameplay tougher, hence make it more error prone for the players, hence making it a longer lasting game? Only the developers maybe able to answer this.

Otherwise the best cricket game to have been made, have to agree.

Well its been a few months since I've been away (was last seen here probably just after patch 1). I came back to search on whats going on with patch 2 and if its been released yet or not.

I just saw the patch notes, great updates, however ultimately I'm pissed off with Big Ant for not adding the Fielder Radar in this patch :mad

I thought this company was supposed to listen to feedback and deliver upon it?! Surely they aren't listening to the majority, otherwise result of this poll is quite clear!

Yes, since patch 1 we are still playing 2 player local multiplayer 5 over matches every other day, but every time we play we can not stop cursing BigAnt for leaving out the radar and making our lives more difficult (by difficult i mean wasting our time for looking around the pitch). Sorry but that is the truth!

Well its been a few months since I've been away (was last seen here probably just after patch 1). I came back to search on whats going on with patch 2 and if its been released yet or not.

I just saw the patch notes, great updates, however ultimately I'm pissed off with Big Ant for not adding the Fielder Radar in this patch :mad

I thought this company was supposed to listen to feedback and deliver upon it?! Surely they aren't listening to the majority, otherwise result of this poll is quite clear!

Yes, since patch 1 we are still playing 2 player local multiplayer 5 over matches every other day, but every time we play we can not stop cursing BigAnt for leaving out the radar and making our lives more difficult (by difficult i mean wasting our time for looking around the pitch). Sorry but that is the truth!

It isnt the truth: it is your opinion. Which you are entitled to. Doesnt been that everyone feels like that.

It isnt the truth: it is your opinion. Which you are entitled to. Doesnt been that everyone feels like that.

Re-read the last paragraph, 'it is the truth' was for that, thats not an opinion, that is exactly what happens everytime we play.

I was against a fielding radar to start with but I've changed my mind. It would speed up play especially online. What's the problem with giving it as an option? If you don't want it, don't use it.

Last edited:
Re-read the last paragraph, 'it is the truth' was for that, thats not an opinion, that is exactly what happens everytime we play.

No its opinion, I dont curse Big Ant im actually quite fond of them and I prefer the game without a radar.

Users who are viewing this thread