Fletcher Resigns - Peter Moores New England Coach

madmusician

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
England Coach Duncan Fletcher has resigned. He told the ECB privately of his decision on 10th April, before the match against Bangladesh. He will coach the England Cricket Team for the last time on Saturday.

BBC Link

Peter Moores is the new England coach on a permanent basis.

I think that Fletcher has done a good job overall and it is very sad for him to bow out in this way.

Last edited:
Typical case of jump before he's pushed. It had to happen, the side looks leaderless, split and in dire need of a philosophical change, particularly in one day internationals. In fact if you compare the England batting to that of SL, AUS, NZ and SA they look downright comical.

Fletcher could be crazy at timse,calling Monty our best spinner then not playing him! He did have some great times but never really built upon the ashes success enouh and after our abysmal world cup and ashes whitewash you can't expect to be in a job.

The best we can do is Peter Moores? Yeh he did well at Sussex but what are his international credentials?

Whatmore gets my vote. Maybe Moody as well.

Fletcher's done a fantastic job in turning our Test team from a bunch of no-hopers into one of the best sides in the world and for a brief 3 month spell (albeit not officially) the best team in the world. However in the ODI scene, the no-hopers tag still applies.

andrew_nixon said:
Word is that he gets a ?300,000 pay-off for his resignation. Ridiculous.
Wouldn't that only be if he's fired, before his contract runs out; instead of him resigning voluntarily?

Suge said:
The best we can do is Peter Moores? Yeh he did well at Sussex but what are his international credentials?

Whatmore gets my vote. Maybe Moody as well.

I think that Moores is only temporary, until the Scofield Report is published. Presumably Scofield will recommend a coach, but we could be stuck with Moores for the summer, if the chosen coach is still in a contract, like Fletcher was in 1999.

I think Fletcher's done a good job generally - most agree he has been a good coach. However, apart from one occasion, we have always lost the Ashes under him and these have always been humiliating defeats. IMO his biggest mistake was to revert to the 2005-like side for the Ashes this winter, when a younger team had played together for the summer and had started to get very good results. This winter probably finished him off, after calls that it was time for a fresh face from others in the media (Boycott, Botham etc...)

Whatever, it is sad that he has departed with a failure, maybe the England boys could send him off in a good way on Saturday.

Adarsh said:
Wouldn't that only be if he's fired, before his contract runs out; instead of him resigning voluntarily?
Nope, the pay-off is in his contract and applies if either party terminates the contract without a years notice.

andrew_nixon said:
Nope, the pay-off is in his contract and applies if either party terminates the contract without a years notice.
So the ECB have to pay him even though Fletcher's the one who terminated his contract? :eek:

nightprowler10 said:
So the ECB have to pay him even though Fletcher's the one who terminated his contract? :eek:
Look at it this way, Fletcher offers to resign and give a years notice, the ECB say thank you very much but we rather you leave now, therefore it's the ECB not allowing the years notice and hence the payment.

However, in this case im sure its a more of a goodwill payment, thanks for putting the test team on the right track and almost 8 years of service etc. It's a fairly standard practice in sport and I expect that even Chappell got a pay off when left the India job.

Shame he could'nt sort out the one day team but I feel that until the English mentality towards ODI is changed we won't see a huge amount of improvment regardless of who's in charge.

Yes this sort of termination payment is pretty standard practice, not just in the sporting world either. It may seem like a lot of money, but then Fletcher earns a lot of money.

Personally I'm glad he's going. Yes he did a good job with the test side, although it seems to me everything was geared towards winning the Ashes in 2005 at the expense of future performance and England's record in ODI's has been poor for a long while. I don't think you can blame players for this, we have 3 domestic one day tournaments in the English county system so the players should know how to play. (Of course it would have helped if the players actually got released to play some of the matches).

I am glad he is gone. Some of his descions in recent times, were quite frankly idiotic. His continual selection of Sajid Mahmood proves that. And when he played Giles in front of Monty in the last Ashes. And putting Read in for the last two tests of the Pakistan series, where he impressed, and then dropping him. He doesn't look around the county circuit for the players in form, he just plays the players that are his 'favourites'. Oh, and he can't pick a batting order.

I am thankful for what he has done for us, but it was time to go.

Going to watch the press conference shortly, assuming it will be on Sky Sports News. Will be very interesting viewing...

wolf said:
I am glad he is gone. Some of his descions in recent times, were quite frankly idiotic. His continual selection of Sajid Mahmood proves that. And when he played Giles in front of Monty in the last Ashes. And putting Read in for the last two tests of the Pakistan series, where he impressed, and then dropping him. He doesn't look around the county circuit for the players in form, he just plays the players that are his 'favourites'. Oh, and he can't pick a batting order.

I am thankful for what he has done for us, but it was time to go.
Wow, you really don't have a clue, do you?

Picking favourites? His picking of the likes of Trescothick and Vaughan, despite low batting averages is what has turned them into World Class players. The Captain has just as much say as Fletcher with the input of the team on tour, but we'd hate to put any blame on Flintoff eh?

I'm ignoring the bit about Mahmood as I don't have the time to put the truth across.

Users who are viewing this thread