FM Pentagon Challenge Thread

End of Year Update

First Division:

Well were racing to the title. A draw at home to Carrick was the only time weve dropped points since our loss against Dergview earlier in the season. McNamara has finally found his feet in this division, scoring 6 goals since the start of October. Corbin-Ong after some criticism by myself for his poor start to the season has responded superbly, showing why he is the best defender in this division. Smith hasnt been quite so emphatic recently, with only 4 league goals in the last 3 months. The same has happened to Johnny Breen, who also is on 8 goals now in the league. We made another huge signing in English striker, Ryan Noble who has already scored 3 goals in 4 games. Welsh U19 midfielder, Steven Esau looks like a huge talent as well and will be a big part of our run to the end of the season and the next few seasons as well.

Steel & Sons Cup:

Well we went on to win the competition although were less than impressive. We had a 4-4 draw in the quarter-final against Wakehurst and we just edged them out on penalties to progress. Queens University werent able to upset us in the Semi Final as we strolled to a 1-0 win thanks to Martin Kehoes goal. Dromana were the other finalists and we should have completely dominated the non-league team. We were poor throughout the game though as after 90 minutes, it was still 1-1, Doyle cancelling out Ritchies goal earlier in the game. It looked like we might have been upset when McDonagh scored just before the end of the first half of extra time, but McGrane equalized early in the second to force the game to penalties. The decision to bring Martin on after the goal paid off as he saved 2 of the opposition shots as Breen, Harte and Thompson all scored before Corbin-Ong finished it off for a 4-1 penalty win. This competition really meant nothing at all though so its no big deal.

Irish Cup:

We had a tough game first up against fellow 1st Division side rivals, H & W Welders. It was Victor-Calceido who shone though as his double helped us to a 3-1 lead after Colm Smith scored early in the match. Verner scored his second of the night with 14 minutes to go to put the visitors in with a chance but Keanes 91st minute free kick found its way into the top right corner of the goal. We now play Tobermore Utd away from home in the 4th Round. This will be a very important match for us, with the Cup being the one competition other the league that I actually want to do very well in.

Intermediate Cup:

Knockbreda put up a good fight as they forced the game into extra-time after a 1-1 draw but from then, it went downhill for the home-side as Keane, Smith and Hobson-McVeigh all scored to steal a 4-1 win after extra time. We now have another game against H & W Welders to see who will progress pass the 3rd round.

League Table:

Code:
| Pos   | Inf   | Team               |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Dundela            |       | 14    | 12    | 1     | 1     | 40    | 16    | +24   | 37    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Carrick            |       | 14    | 6     | 6     | 2     | 24    | 13    | +11   | 24    | 
| 3rd   |       | Ballinamallard Utd |       | 14    | 6     | 4     | 4     | 21    | 13    | +8    | 22    | 
| 4th   |       | Dergview           |       | 14    | 5     | 6     | 3     | 23    | 23    | 0     | 21    | 
| 5th   |       | Institute          |       | 14    | 5     | 5     | 4     | 17    | 17    | 0     | 20    | 
| 6th   |       | Glebe              |       | 14    | 6     | 2     | 6     | 13    | 17    | -4    | 20    | 
| 7th   |       | Tobermore Utd      |       | 14    | 5     | 3     | 6     | 22    | 17    | +5    | 18    | 
| 8th   |       | Coagh Utd          |       | 14    | 5     | 3     | 6     | 18    | 15    | +3    | 18    | 
| 9th   |       | Limavady Utd       |       | 14    | 5     | 3     | 6     | 17    | 21    | -4    | 18    | 
| 10th  |       | Loughgall          |       | 14    | 4     | 6     | 4     | 16    | 25    | -9    | 18    | 
| 11th  |       | Larne              |       | 14    | 5     | 3     | 6     | 12    | 21    | -9    | 18    | 
| 12th  |       | H & W Welders      |       | 14    | 4     | 3     | 7     | 17    | 17    | 0     | 15    | 
| 13th  |       | Bangor             |       | 14    | 2     | 7     | 5     | 14    | 22    | -8    | 13    | 
| 14th  |       | Warrenpoint        |       | 14    | 0     | 4     | 10    | 11    | 28    | -17   | 4     | 

Transfers:

Ryan Noble This guy is a star. Much better than Breen and at 21, he still might have some potential left in him. The former Sunderland striker has already showed what hes capable of with some strong performances already this season. Bit surprised though that Linfield picked this guy up on trial but decided not to sign him, as he is a leading star for the premiership. Their loss though.

Steven Esau He looks like a solid midfielder. His unambitious personality means that he will likely stay at our side for a while but the downside is that he might not reach his massive potential. He could be playing for Wales in the future but that depends on how he progresses at this club. Despite our horrible training facilities, others seem to be making a fair bit of progress still so there is hope in our training. Despite being only 19, he will be a fixture in the starting XI, miles ahead of our next best central midfielder.

Mid-Season Top Player:

Johnny Breen Despite slowing down, hes still been very reliable and can score goals when theyre needed. Hes currently topping the First Division goal chart with 8 goals and hell be looking to at least double that tally by the end of the season.

Also on another note, Nizhniy Novgorod are on a 15 run unbeaten run going into the mid-season break. Unfortunately, 11 draws while only winning 10 games has meant theyre only in 4th place in the Second Division. Liechtenstein have also been very impressive as well, defeating Lithuania and Latvia in their World Cup Qualifiers to put them in 4th in their group. They also defeated Luxembourg in a friendly.

Going great guns there Hedger. Always nice to get promotion and then immediately do well in the top league.

Just played my first game against Malaysia in the World Cup Qualifying Group Stage. Two minutes in my central midfielder gets sent off for a two footed tackle from behind. Luckily we went on to win 2-0. This should be easy until we come up against the likes of Japan, Korea and Australia in the next round.

Second division :p (Premier Division is the top one, haha). But yeah. Really not liking Dergview though. Defeated us again. And we somehow lost to a non-league team in the Intermediate Cup after beating our rivals in the third round again (on penalties as well :p) Makes that 3 penalty wins for the season as well, lol...

But yeah, we've just started to go badly. A loss against Dergview, then a disappointing point against Loughgall giving away a 2 goal lead and then our loss in the cup. Still in the Irish Cup though and that's what matters. And have a 11 point lead in the league with 8 games to play so should be able to win from here.

wtf, apparently Liechtenstein isn't playable anymore.... It was at the start of the game, I have all players in Liechtenstein loaded and now, I can't manage them...

Well that just ruined the goal of this save.

And we're not getting any youth recruitments as well which is ----. I guess it's due to our useless facilities.

End of 2012/13 Update

First Division:

Well we cruised to the title. We had the division sealed with 5 matches remaining, thanks to Noble's presence upfront. Breen and McNamara also provided quality finishing while Colm Smith didn't get many chances to add to his goal tally, with limited minutes and only added 2 league goals in the back half of the season. We also signed a young Irish right winger who looks decent although didn't really show his ability in the few matches he played at the back end of the season.

Intermediate Cup:

Well this cup didn't bother me but it was nice to get another victory over rivals H & W Welders defeating them on penalties after Ryan Noble's goal forced a 1-1 draw. We were lazy in the next round and were defeated by Chimney Corner, a non-league team.. Suppose it was my own fault for playing a second string team but didn't care at all.

Irish Cup:

Well this was the most important cup. Tobermore Utd proved a tough Round 4 opponent but Colm Smith scored a double to help us to an early 3-1 lead. We nearly managed to throw away a win late, letting Clarke score in the 71st minute before McAliskey got sent off for a second yellow card, but we held on to win. Portstewart were very unimpressive in the 5th round clash as Victor Zapata-Caicedo helped himself to a hattrick, capitalising on some ordinary defence. Colm Smith also scored again while Morgan scored a rare goal, his first for the club (and turns out to be his only goal for the season). But in the end, a 5-2 win highlighted our dominance to book ourselves a quarter final clash with non-league side, Nortel. We had to watch out for Lorrimer though, who was the top scorer for the competition. We really should have beaten them in the first leg though but in the end drew 0-0 at home. The away leg looked like it would be even worse when Lorrimer scored to make sure Nortel led 1-0 at the break. Some harsh words fired our team up though as Noble scored a minute into the second half before Conaghan scored twice to secure the win. Our easy run to the final continued as we drew Second Division side, Ballymoney Utd while Linfield played Coleraine in their semi final match. Our opponents had given up before it even started though as Breen, McNamara, Michael-Percil and Smith all helped themselves to goals in a comfortable 4-0 win. A Linfield win would have secured us a spot in Europe for next season (due to them qualifying for the Champions League) but of course, they had to go on to lose on penalties meaning we would have to play Coleraine in the final, arguably the easier opponent but it meant we had to win to qualify for Europe, not that our run in Europe would likely last longer than one match.

Mind games are what was needed for this match and with one player having scored most of their goals, I tried to put some pressure on Curtis Allen. The manager didn't seem to like the comments I made about him, but I suppose that made it easier for me. They got off to the worst possible start though as Lorcan Shannon's cross somehow ended up in the back of the net after McVey and McNamara challenged for the ball and it was deemed to have gone in off McVey, a superb start for them. A decision to also single out Beverlund as the weakest link also seemed to make some difference as he made the error in the second half that led to our second goal, tripping McNamara and giving away a free kick (although injuring the winger in the process...). It might have been a fluke goal but our skipper Clegg would take it as his free kick somehow found its way into the back of the net, just going over Wells' head. When Corbin-Ong headed Esau's corner into the back of the net, it seemed like we would be going to Europe, with only 20 minutes to hold on. Hegarty played a beautiful ball in behind our defence minutes later though and Curtis Allen was there to pull a goal back. Noble should have scored for us a few minutes later when his header was lacking in power, unable to beat Wells, before Allen's long range shot went narrowly over. Both teams had chances to score, and Coleraine were desperate in stoppage time to find a goal, but we managed to hold out for a 3-1 victory to win the Irish Cup and book ourselves a spot in Europe.

Code:
| Pos   | Inf   | Team               |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | C     | Dundela            |       | 26    | 21    | 2     | 3     | 68    | 31    | +37   | 65    | 
| 2nd   |       | Ballinamallard Utd |       | 26    | 13    | 5     | 8     | 40    | 26    | +14   | 44    | 
| 3rd   |       | Carrick            |       | 26    | 12    | 7     | 7     | 40    | 26    | +14   | 43    | 
| 4th   |       | Institute          |       | 26    | 12    | 6     | 8     | 43    | 35    | +8    | 42    | 
| 5th   |       | Dergview           |       | 26    | 11    | 9     | 6     | 44    | 39    | +5    | 42    | 
| 6th   |       | Glebe              |       | 26    | 11    | 6     | 9     | 29    | 29    | 0     | 39    | 
| 7th   |       | Larne              |       | 26    | 10    | 6     | 10    | 25    | 38    | -13   | 36    | 
| 8th   |       | Tobermore Utd      |       | 26    | 9     | 8     | 9     | 37    | 32    | +5    | 35    | 
| 9th   |       | H & W Welders      |       | 26    | 10    | 3     | 13    | 32    | 34    | -2    | 33    | 
| 10th  |       | Loughgall          |       | 26    | 7     | 9     | 10    | 29    | 45    | -16   | 30    | 
| 11th  |       | Bangor             |       | 26    | 5     | 11    | 10    | 29    | 35    | -6    | 26    | 
| 12th  |       | Coagh Utd          |       | 26    | 7     | 5     | 14    | 30    | 38    | -8    | 26    | 
| 13th  | R     | Limavady Utd       |       | 26    | 7     | 4     | 15    | 27    | 41    | -14   | 25    | 
| 14th  | R     | Warrenpoint        |       | 26    | 4     | 5     | 17    | 25    | 49    | -24   | 17    | 

chj.png

League Statistics:

Star Players:

Ryan Noble - Well he has been our player of the season, even if he only arrived halfway through the season. He wasn't able to catch Breen in the end but his 11 goals and 7 assists in 16 league games showed what he was capable of doing, and will be leading the way next season.

Daragh McNamara - I'm really not sure how this guy has scored so many goals with his finishing attribute being only 3... Either way, he has been exceptional in the back end of the season. It might be time to look for a better prospect on the left wing but if I can't find anyone, then this guy can surely pull his weight in the top division.

Johnny Breen - Quality striker. When we needed a goal, he'd always be there to score one. Unfortunately, lost out on the Top Goalscorer award to Sweeney due to playing more games, but he will surely be happy with the most assists in the league and being the tied top goalscorer. I'm not sure where this guy will be in the upcoming seasons. Zapata-Caicedo is rising fast and is already challenging him for a first team spot. The Colombian striker's struggle for consistency may be the only thing that lets Breen keep his place.

La'Vere Corbin-Ong - There aren't many times when I criticise players for their play but my decision to criticise the underperforming Canadian really turned around his whole season. From then, he cemented his spot as the best defender in the team and division, picking up 4 MOTM awards on the way to show his class. He warmed the Canadian bench in all their matches over the past season, only getting his chance once. Unfortunately, he's a fair way behind the two starting central defenders on the team so national team minutes may be very limited in the near future.

Season Comments:

A very good season as a whole. The team had been under-performing for seasons so even in the First Division, we were expected to do well. Along with the new transfers, we expected nothing less than promotion. Everybody did their job in the team, helping to a comfortable title win, and although we had a pretty easy run into the Irish Cup Final (despite some tough matches in the early rounds), we showed that we were good enough to win the title with a comfortable victory over Coleraine. Luck played some part in that win but we deserved the win, I felt. I can't see us doing anything in Europe next season, maybe a win in the 2nd qualifying round but apart from that, we'll just be glad for the experience and extra money as well. Finances are still ordinary, a couple of friendlies against Celtic during our longer breaks meaning we managed to put our balance at only 5k in the red. The prize money for the cups are abysmal though and it's not really much better for the Premier Division as well so Europe is the only hope of money. I can't see my future in Northern Ireland though so I may look to move on if we can't compete in the top division next season and if all goes well, I think I'll just leave when we win the Premier Division.

Career Summary:

Code:
Season     Team                 Country     League                      League Finish    Achievements + Notes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Nizhniy Novgorod     Russia      First Division              8th              Resigned in 8th in November
2011/12    Dundela              N. Ireland  Second Division             1st              Took over in March in 6th. Promoted as Champions
2012/13    Dundela              N. Ireland  First Division              1st              Promoted as Champions, Irish Cup Winners

Last edited:
Had a terrible couple of games, first losing 2-0 to Qatar (How, I do not know) and 3-2 in a friendly to Algeria. Back on track with a 5-0 win over Palestine to put us back on top of our qualifying group.

Back on track with a 5-0 win over Palestine to put us back on top of our qualifying group.

First, I was expecting a loss against Palestine and was about to say, how is that even possible to lose 5-0 against them... But at least you beat them :p

World Update

Competitions:

Champions League:

Final: Man Utd 0 - 0 Man City (Man Utd won on penalties)
Semi Finalists: SLB & Dortmund

Europa League

Final: Arsenal 3 - 0 Anji
Semi Finalists: HSV & A.C. Milan

England:

1st: Man City
2nd: Man Utd
3rd: Liverpool
Relegated: Newcastle, Swansea & Watford
Promoted from Championship: Nottm Forest, Norwich & Wigan
FA Cup: Arsenal (def. Chelsea 2-1 aet)
Capital One Cup: Liverpool (def. Q.P.R. 2-0)
Community Shield: Man Utd (def. Nottm Forest 1-1 on penalties)

Spain:

1st: R. Madrid
2nd: Barcelona
3rd: R. Sociedad
Spanish Cup: Espanyol (def. R. Madrid 2-1)
Spanish Super Cup: R. Madrid (def. Valencia 5-4 on aggregate)

Italy:

1st: Juventus
2nd: Napoli
3rd: AC Milan
Italian Cup: Fiorentina (def. Palermo 0-0 on penalties)
Italian Super Cup: Juventus (def. Napoli 2-0)

Australia:

Minor Premiers: Sydney FC
Champions: Brisbane Roar FC
Runners Up: Sydney FC

Austria:

Winners: SK Sturm Graz
Runners Up: FK Austria Wien
FA Cup: SC Wiener Neustadt (def. SV Horn 3-3 on penalties)

Ireland: (2012 season)

Winners: Sligo Rovers (2nd consecutive title)
Runners Up: Shamrock Rovers
Senior Challenge Cup: Longford (def. Shamrock Rovers 2-1 aet)
League Cup: Derry City (def. Shelbourne 2-1 aet)

Northern Ireland:

Winners: Linfield (2nd consecutive title)
Runners Up: Glentoran
Northern Irish Cup: Dundela (def. Cliftonville 3-1)
League Cup: Glentoran (def. Institute 0-0 on penalties)
County Antrim Shield: Ballymena Utd (def. Linfield 1-0)

Norway: (2012 season)

Winners: Molde
Runners Up: Tromso
Norwegian Cup: Sandnes Ulf (def. Valerenga 1-1 on penalties)

Russia:

Winners: Anji
Runners Up: Spartak Moscow
3rd: Rubin
Russian Cup: Dinamo Moscow (def. Rubin 2-2 on penalties)

South Africa:

Winners: SuperSport Utd
Runners Up: Sundowns
Knockout Cup: Ajax CT (def. Maritzburg 2-0)
Super Eight Cup: Swallows (def. Sundowns 3-1)

South Korea: (2012 season)

Minor Premiers: Suwon
Champions: Seongnam
Runners Up: Suwon (Second time in a row they've done this)
FA Cup: Daejeon (def. Chungju Hummel 3-0)
League Cup: Chunnam (def. Suwon 3-0)

Sweden: (2012 season)

Winners: IF Elfsborg
Runners Up: Malmo FF
Swedish Cup: Malmo FF (def. Mjalby AIF 2-0)
Super Cup: Malmo FF (def. IF Elfsborg 1-0)

Switzerland:

Champions: Basel (2nd consecutive title)
Runners Up: Young Boys
Swiss Cup: Zurich (def. Lausanne 2-1)

World Rankings:

1st: Germany (+2)
2nd: Spain (+2)
3rd: Holland (-2)
4th: Russia (-2)
5th: Colombia (+8)
6th: France (+10)
7th: Uruguay (-1)
8th: Norway (-1)
9th: Croatia (-4)
10th: Cameroon (+23)

Liechtenstein:

Manager: Hans-Peter Zaugg

World Ranking: 83rd (+4)

Notable Results: 2-1 win over Lithuania (H) in the World Cup Qualifiers, 2-1 win over Latvia (H) in the World Cup Qualifiers, 1-0 win over Luxembourg in a friendly

Competitions:

World Cup 2014 Qualifiers - Currently 4th on 6 points after 5 games.

Standings:

1st: Bosnia & Herz. (15 points)
2nd: Greece (9 points)
3rd: Slovakia (6 points)
4th: Liechtenstein (6 points)
5th: Latvia (4 points)
6th: Lithuania (4 points)

Highest Valued Player: Sandro Wieser (19 year old ?2.4m Hoffenheim midfielder)

Most Capped Player: Mario Frick (104 caps)

All-Time Top Goalscorer: Mario Frick (18 goals)

FC Vaduz Performance:

4th in Swiss Challenge League.

World Transfers (above ?20m):

14.6.12 - Marek Hamsik (?20.5m from Napoli to Man City)
14.6.12 - Rafael van der Vaart (?20m from HSV to Man City)
7.1.13 - Benedikt Howedes (?21.5m from Schalke to R. Madrid)

Awards:

World Golden Ball: Lionel Messi
World Player of the Year: Lionel Messi

Most Reputable Clubs:

1st: Barcelona (=)
2nd: Man Utd (+1)
3rd: R. Madrid (-1)
4th: Man City (+4)
5th: FC Bayern (=)
6th: A.C. Milan (=)
7th: Chelsea (-3)
8th: Juventus (+1)
9th: Inter (-2)
10th: FCP (=)

Richest Clubs:

1st: R. Madrid (?969m) (=, +?17m)
2nd: Barcelona (?847m) (=, -?18m)
3rd: Arsenal (?508m) (=, -?29m)
4th: Man Utd (?435m) (=, +?37m)
5th: Chelsea (?340m) (=, -?19m)
6th: Man City (?336m) (+1, -?1m)
7th: FC Bayern (?292m) (-1, -?45m)
8th: Tottenham (?268m) (=, +?12m)
9th: SLB (?252m) (=, +?2m)
10th: Liverpool (?219m) (new)

We've moved up four spots in the Northern Irish rankings to now be the 12th most reputable club :p

Corbin-Ong was the Fans' Player of the Year as well.

----------

Was just approached by Swedish First Division side, BK Forward. If I didn't have to start in the lowest division of a country, I would have accepted the offer but sadly, I have to turn it down.

Qualified for the next round of world cup qualification with a game to spare. We beat Malaysia 4-1 and managed to scrape a 1-0 away win to Qatar with a 85th minute goal. We also earned a reputable 0-0 draw against South Korea in a friendly.

Just wow. How we managed a draw is beyond me. To be fair to the side, we played with a lot of spirit and never gave up. We created a few chances and our ability to keep the ball was very encouraging. We did get a bit lucky though, after having Noble injured. Substitute, Zapata-Caicedo smashed a shot from a corner which was saved well by the keeper but deflected into his defender and after a few rebounds, the ball ended up in the back of the net. Then a sliding challenge from the opposition meant the ball rolled out to debutant, George Conway who's first touch strike from the edge of the area was brilliantly placed in the top corner. A bit lucky to have the chance but an incredible goal to earn a draw. Really can't see us beating them away from home though so will just have to be content with a draw at home and hope that we can keep the score down away from home, or maybe even earn a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

ucod.png

Users who are viewing this thread