Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its 99% sure the winners will come from the group of seeds. Therefore I would say one of these three - Brazil, England or France.

m_vaughan said:
Spain vs South Korea/France/Switzerland in the KO stage....its time for revenge against two of those teams atleast!!

Spain have got to get through yet. Ukraine and Tunisia won't be pushover's. Plus Spain never perform in the big competition's. I also don't understand why Spain were seeded in the first place, the criteria was supposedly performances at recent world cup's and performance in qualifying. Spain have been poor in world cup's and needed a play-off to get to this one, when team's like Holland got through top of their group!

Anyway, if we can't get through our group then they shall be shot.

Well the teams who are number 2 or 3 (Czech Republic) and the number (Netherlands) 2 or 3 in the rankings weren't in the World Cup 2002. And Czech Republic wasn't even in World Cup 1998. But off course Czechoslovakia has been played in earlier World Cups (including a final against Brazil).

Along with the Argentina/Netherlands group, Australia's is the most interesting, and the one that will be the closest. Croatia can never be under-estimated, and Japan can be very strong on their day. If Australia can manage to beat Japan and manage to draw against Croatia I believe they can go through(assuming of course, that Brazil beat all 3 :p). I don't think Germany will win, they'll get to the Quarters at most, but that's it. Apart from Kahn and Ballack, they dont have any worldclass stars. Their team is just way too inexperienced. I get the feeling Spain and France will do well while Italy will flop again, unless some of their star players are on form. When they're on form, they can be unstoppable.

England are lucky to get such an easy group, they'll top it easily. If Germany top their group too, then England face Poland(right?). The match between Argentina and the Netherlands should be a cracker, as will the one between Italy and the Czechs. :)

I'll be supporting England for the world cup, and hope that Ghana(Essien!) and Czech Republic(Cech!) can knock Italy out of the World Cup, while Ivory Coast(Drogba!) upset either the Netherlands or Argentina!

Last edited:
I thought about the Germans too, when they a lousy team in the World Cup 2002. And they had a lot of key players missing then cause of injuries. And they still managed to get to the final.

Japan is the Champion of Asia, so you can't really beat them that easily. And they topped their qualifying group. And Croatia beat Sweden twice in their qualifying group to win it too.

You can see here the results of what people think is the most difficult group. First is Group C and second is Group E. And I agree with it: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/poll_results.html?pollID=4153&vote=-1 And third is the group with Brazil.

Here is a predictor so you can see what happens if you put in some results:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl/hi/predictor/html/football/world_cup_06/default.stm

Last edited:
1-1 draw with Walsall, they went to 10 men, so a bit disappointed, still would've been 8th had we won though.

Liverpool are still winning ;)! Now they must win the world club cup :D. I just got back from the game so i'm shattered.

I'm still smiling, 10 clean sheets, 7 league games in a row won. This has to be Liverpool's best form since the 80's no?

WCC is such a farcical event, like the ICC trophy but worse.

Equal best run for Liverpool since 89.

Thanks Sureshot! I think that Morientes is starting to hit golden form again. If he is then we could have one of the most feared strike partnerships in the Premiership. Certainly 2 of the best headers of the ball.

Drewska said:
Liverpool are still winning ;)! Now they must win the world club cup :D. I just got back from the game so i'm shattered.

You watched Liverpool vs Middlesbrough in the stadium?

And you can watch the match live on BBC2 on Thursday 15 December on 10 am. It will be either against Sydney FC or Deportivo Saprissa
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/4488566.stm

I am not sure, but I think normally this was a match against an European vs South African continent Champion, which was called Intercontinental Cup. Did they extend the numbers of clubs in here?

Sureshot said:
Of course they're class, they've spent Over ?200 million pounds.

Joses got a waxwork of him in Tussauds, what a farce, there has never been one of Cloughie.
Yeah,thats true...... ;) But that doesn't mean they don't have brutal idiots like.........i can't even be bothered remembering his name.

.::Stevo::. said:
SHIIIIIT, we got Brazil :crying

And Japan doesnt help either........
We can beat Japan and Croatia! :mad:

Saudi Arabia's Al Ittihad beat Egyptian Ahly and will the South Americans Champions Sao Paulo. It was the first loss in 55 matches for Ahly.

Tomorrow it will Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa against Australian's FC Sydney. The winner will play against Liverpool.

Al Ittihad 1-0 Ahly
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4518672.stm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread