Football Transfers Thread

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Ha, the Spanish speaking people i know tended to pronounce the J in Campbell's name normally during the world cup, compared to the "H" sound for Rodriguez or Jose Mourinho for example.

Probably a Spanish dialect thing, i dunno..

----------

Ye pretty much. If do do buy Hames & Falcao, I wonder if the FFP people may have something to say about that ha..

It's probably just because the name is of english origin. the costa rican capitol is San Jose, and definitely pronounced San Hose by spanish speakers.

if you're british and called Maria everyone will still pronounce the i sound in your name with a spanish/italian ee sound, despite this not being the way an "ia" is pronounced at the end of words in english.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's probably just because the name is of english origin. the costa rican capitol is San Jose, and definitely pronounced San Hose by spanish speakers.

if you're british and called Maria everyone will still pronounce the i sound in your name with a spanish/italian ee sound, despite this not being the way an "ia" is pronounced at the end of words in english.

Not necessarily, Maria has very much become an anglicised name. English speakers are actually very lazy so always pronounce foreign names as they'd be pronounced in English.

A lot of Spanish speakers do that with Joel Campbell as well for example though not to the same extent that English speakers do.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Joel Campbell is pronounced with the J sound. Even by Spanish speakers. The one's who don't are doing it wrong.

Anyways... ridiculous money for Lovren if this materializes... it's getting a little out of hand how clubs are taking liverpool for a ride in transfer negotiations these days... we have set a poor precedent for many years to come by paying over the top for carroll, adam, downing, henderson (though this turned out ok imo), and now lallana and lovren.

Last edited:

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Don't do it LFC

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada

I agree with all of that. Although Lovren is overpriced, we can't forget that he moved from Ligue 1 and you'll think it'll take time for a player to settle in, but he hit the ground running and had a decent season with Saints, look at Sakho came from the same league what did he manage? I think Lovren will prove himself for the price tag.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you mean UEFA or the people in support of FFP? Either way, the elite-club protection scheme has nothing to say about clubs in debt going on spending sprees as long as they've "earned" it.

Ha, well thanks for confusing me with that one.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Wow Stoke signs Bojan, QPR sign Caulker and Liverpool sign Loic Remy(Sky Sports news say, he's arrived at Boston and having a medical, it could be confirmed any minute).

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread