General Cricket Discussion

I don't care about the commentators. I had the same view as they did. There was something on snicko.

Do you sense from this forum that the general feeling is that DRS is a positive thing? It's made cricket a more accurate game, and for that reason alone, people like it.

I get that ppl have sold to the idea of DRS, more because DRS being invoked adds some seconds of cheap reality TV level drama to the proceedings than because it actually serves a real purpose. . Also that BCCI opposes DRS, turns many of the Pro-DRS supporter, especially those from England, into over-sensitive fangirls, who cannot take any criticsm of the system.

I don't understand what chord it touches in such ppl, but there it is.

A system that leads to career ending decisions like the one Khwaja got, is not, and frankly cannot be the solution to the issue of Umpiring errors, and needs to be seriously looked, especially when DRS related issues keep getting thrown up with regular frequency. Three days of WC, two big dodgy DRS related incidents already.

If ppl don't want to look at facts, its upto them, you know.

BTW u still have to answer me on if BCCI doesnt want to use DRS, as India cannot win when DRS is in use, how has India got a 100% win record in all major tournaments it has played in that featured DRS? Will u ignore the question again, at the third time of asking, or will you actually address the directly.[DOUBLEPOST=1424119158][/DOUBLEPOST]
And we come back to Matt's original point that it eradicates more mistakes than it creates.

Nice attempt at being funny though

Being funny ... I was supporting you. Its great that u could admit your mistake the way you did.

BTW u still have to answer me on if BCCI doesnt want to use DRS, as India cannot win when DRS is in use, how has India got a 100% win record in all major tournaments it has played in that featured DRS?
2011 WC India were always the favourites in home conditions DRS or no DRS. 2013 CT doesn't count as the final was effectively a T20 match and we all know England suck at T20.

2011 WC India were always the favourites in home conditions DRS or no DRS. 2013 CT doesn't count as the final was effectively a T20 match and we all know England suck at T20.

Yeah forget the final, what abt all the rest of the matches?

Also I dont know how much of the ranting u have followed, but the point is that a post was made saying BCCI doesn't want DRS, as India cannot win with DRS as then Swann will appear and trap everyone LBW, including in matches in India.

SO the point then is if India cannot win with DRS, home or away, then how does that fit in with India winning the WC '11 and CT '13 both of which ahd DRS?

Reactions: Ohm
So instead of a genuine rebuttal, you stick with the attempted humour.

It eradicates more mistakes than it creates. Do you have a response to that or are you conceding you're in the wrong?

Did I say India couldn't win with DRS, or did I say that senior batsman would have preferred not to face Swann (or bowlers like him) with DRS in place?

Teams will have the same chance of winning with DRS as without it. Only difference is, bowlers will probably get a few more LBWs.

So instead of a genuine rebuttal, you stick with the attempted humour.

It eradicates more mistakes than it creates. Do you have a response to that or are you conceding you're in the wrong?

Ha so you admit it creates mistakes. Thts the point. How can a system meant to eradicate mistakes, be creating mistakes !! How can u not see this most basic ingrained flaw in the DRS.

What are u still going on about. How can a system meant to stop 'x' from happening, itself start contributing to the happening of 'X' and then hope to be hailed as a success?

Did I say India couldn't win with DRS, or did I say that senior batsman would have preferred not to face Swann (or bowlers like him) with DRS in place?

Teams will have the same chance of winning with DRS as without it. Only difference is, bowlers will probably get a few more LBWs.

Are u kidding me. You said something like with DRS, Tendulkar and Dravid (while adding would get out more on the front foot.

Here is the exact quote -

We all know why the BCCI initially went against it. It would mean old fashioned finger spinners like Graeme Swann would come over to India and have a far greater chance of getting the great Tendulkar and Dravid out on the front foot.

What would be the net result of Tendulkar and Dravid getting out more often than earlier - India would post lower totals and this will clearly affect and lower their chance of winning.

SO once agian. If DRS lowers India's chances of winning, how does India Winning WC '11 and CT '13, both of which had DRS, fit into this theory?

Ha so you admit it creates mistakes. Thts the point. How can a system meant to eradicate mistakes, be creating mistakes !! How can u not see this most basic ingrained flaw in the DRS.

What are u still going on about. How can a system meant to stop 'x' from happening, itself start contributing to the happening of 'X' and then hope to be hailed as a success?

It eradicates more than it creates. The net position is less mistakes. For it to contribute to more mistakes, it has to be wrong more than 50% of the time (which it objectively isn't)

Basic tweaking math

Last edited:
Thanks for finding my post. You just proved that I didn't say anything about India not liking DRS because they wouldn't win.

Teams from other nations would face similar problems against spinners.

@shravi - There is a site called Telugulive.com which offers Telugu channels for $15/month. And it seems as part of this package, they are offering the World Cup matches along with it. And from what I have heard from my friends, you can unsubscribe from their package once the WC is over (i.e. no contract, no commitment). Which means you will be paying $30 total (since the WC is more than a month; 40+ more days).

thanks sai :). i would advise your friends to be wary of such sites. last world cup (when willow had the license), some of my friends did the same thing, and after a few months, they got a notice from willow saying that either they can be sued (for illegally watching willow's feed), or choose to subscribe to willow's service. so not only did they pay for that site, they had to pay $15 for the willow subscription, and if you want to cancel your willow subscription, it's an extra $15 fee lol. i wonder if espn might do something similar (or worse).

The reason India don't want the DRS is because when there is a review they can't put adverts between deliveries. It's that cynical.

since you like analogies, I'll give you one. When they first started to introduce seat belts for cars, they found that in certain cases they would perhaps make injuries worse than not having them in the car. Did they say "well, these are shite!" and stop putting them in cars because of these fringe cases, or did they try to improve the seat belt while also using the technology they had to that point because it worked most of the time?

It eradicates more than it creates. The net position is less mistakes. For it to contribute to more mistakes, it has to be wrong more than 50% of the time (which it objectively isn't)

Basic tweaking math

More Mistakes less mistakes, the bottom line is = There Are Still Mistakes, and this time DRS is contributing to the mistakes.

If to you that means the DRS is doing a great job and should be left alone, then good luck

since you like analogies, I'll give you one. When they first started to introduce seat belts for cars, they found that in certain cases they would perhaps make injuries worse than not having them in the car. Did they say "well, these are shite!" and stop putting them in cars because of these fringe cases, or did they try to improve the seat belt while also using the technology they had to that point because it worked most of the time?

Exactly what I have been saying all this while. Work on it, send it to a technical committee and improve it. When it is ready to "not make injuries" worse, then bring them back. In the present state when it goes wrong, it really makes the whole thing a lot worse.

Thats the sane thing to do. No one wants to though.[DOUBLEPOST=1424129743][/DOUBLEPOST]
The reason India don't want the DRS is because when there is a review they can't put adverts between deliveries. It's that cynical.

Lol, yeah I think I will go along with that :D

Exactly what I have been saying all this while. Work on it, send it to a technical committee and improve it. When it is ready to "not make injuries" worse, then bring them back. In the present state when it goes wrong, it really makes the whole thing a lot worse.

that's not what i'm saying: work on it to make it much better sure; but not ditch the thing while you tweak it because its already a positive to world cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread