General Cricket Discussion

This pretty much confirms the BCCI's stranglehold on the game of cricket. What a joke that two out of our four next tours are against Zimbabwe, while India don't need to host them or Bangladesh until 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to play Bangladesh every year as well, like we have been. I just hope we can be competitive against Australia and South Africa this summer, or you have to begin to think that we'll fall down into the Bangladesh and Zimbabwe bracket, and get more isolated than we already are from the major countries.

Chill it dude. And stop blaming BCCI for everything and anything :cheers

BCCI does not decide which teams tour where and when. BCCI and every other board bargains with every other board. NZ cricket seem to disagree with you
NZ Cricket hits jackpot with in-bound tour deals | Stuff.co.nz

"We've got a lot of cricket and tours by really big countries. In an eight-year period we've got three tours by England and a couple of tours by India, which is great for lots of reasons for NZC," Vaughan said after attending the chief executives meeting in Hong Kong.

Tours of India provided comfortably the highest revenue for the host nation of any touring country because of the huge television rights they command. England tours were also lucrative and their army of touring fans was another drawcard, Vaughan said.

Also FTP is not fixed. Based on Indias FTP they would be occupied for 8-9 monts everyyear. For the remaining months they can organize any free tour they want. If NZ play good cricket then I am sure every board is going to invite them.

Chill it dude. And stop blaming BCCI for everything and anything :cheers

Most of the things wrong with the game of cricket atm are because of the BCCI, even quite a lot of the Indian members on here can see that.

Most of the things wrong with the game of cricket atm are because of the BCCI, even quite a lot of the Indian members on here can see that.

Tell me what was better before that is bad now?

The only major change we see is cricket moving towards a league oriented game ...similar to every other game in the world.

You're missing the point. The BCCI just has too much power in the game. In any other sport if every other country wants a rule implemented except one country, the rule would get passed, but they don't want to anger the beast that is the BCCI because of all the money they have. In any other sport a Champions League is run by the governing body, like you don't see the EPL running the European Football Champions League, it's run by UEFA. In the FTP I assume they only want the bigger countries touring them, so they ignore the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, in favour of other bigger countries, while the likes of New Zealand get repeatedly stuck with Bangladesh (and this summer Zimbabwe). Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure on this, but last year didn't the sub-continent countries get rid of the Australasian nominee for the ICC president.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on our stances on the BCCI. ;)

You're missing the point. The BCCI just has too much power in the game. In any other sport if every other country wants a rule implemented except one country, the rule would get passed, but they don't want to anger the beast that is the BCCI because of all the money they have. In any other sport a Champions League is run by the governing body, like you don't see the EPL running the European Football Champions League, it's run by UEFA. In the FTP I assume they only want the bigger countries touring them, so they ignore the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, in favour of other bigger countries, while the likes of New Zealand get repeatedly stuck with Bangladesh (and this summer Zimbabwe).

Both are valid points. But they were already the same before BCCI became all powerful. AUS + ECB was doing what BCCI is doing now. Australia v India | Cricket News | India v Australia 2009/10 | ESPN Cricinfo

India used to be invited to AUS every 5-10 years. Now they want us every 2 years :D What BCCI is doing is not entirely right. But whoever had no problems back then should not be complaining now. That is my point.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure on this, but last year didn't the sub-continent countries get rid of the Australasian nominee for the ICC president.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on our stances on the BCCI. ;)

Racism is a very touchy subject. John Howard comes with too much baggage.
Even in Australia this is very touchy
Aboriginal campaigner Gillespie condemns Howard ICC nomination

Also remember they needed 7 votes to appoint him. CSA,SL and ZIM were against him Sri Lanka deals body blow to Howard's ICC ambition. It was CSA and ZIM that was spear heading the movement. BCCI voted to avoid a PR fallout in India where this is a tricky subject. BCCI was not able to bully other boards to vote for Mr.Howard

Of course in Australia they like to always put the blame on India (and vice versa :D)
Indians blast John Howard ICC bid | The Australian

Last edited:
OMG! That certainly has got to be the greatest year for test cricket!

Although it is imperative that for future world cups, the ECB never ever have an Ashes tour followed by a world cup.

The 2013 double year Ashes decision should be a one-off thing. Since the Ashes is too big of series for 2 to be played in 1 year. They got to find a way after the 2013/14 tour of AUS to resort back to 2 year gap between Ashes series format.

This pretty much confirms the BCCI's stranglehold on the game of cricket. What a joke that two out of our four next tours are against Zimbabwe, while India don't need to host them or Bangladesh until 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to play Bangladesh every year as well, like we have been. I just hope we can be competitive against Australia and South Africa this summer, or you have to begin to think that we'll fall down into the Bangladesh and Zimbabwe bracket, and get more isolated than we already are from the major countries.

Not just NZ have been marginalized. By giving the IPL an unofficial window for the next 8 years means basically every West Indies home summer will affected, which is pretty appalling.

Not just NZ have been marginalized. By giving the IPL an unofficial window for the next 8 years means basically every West Indies home summer will affected, which is pretty appalling.

You speak as if NZ was strong before. Having said that country based cricket is slowly going to die. It is a reality that the traditionalist got to face. Every major sport - football, soccer, ice hockey, rugby is league based and cricket is going to end up like that. That is what is going to truly globalize the game. International cricket is going to be reduced to pre 1990 levels with each team meeting once 5-10 years.

IPL does not force NZ or WI to send their teams. You can also not blame players wish to earn more money.

I completely agree, ever since India won that t20 world cup and BCCI became the powerhouse of cricket was when all these problems started to arise. Although I suppose the ICL can be partly blamed when it came to the twenty20 as the IPL was only created to combat the rebel league.

I completely agree, ever since India won that t20 world cup and BCCI became the powerhouse of cricket was when all these problems started to arise. Although I suppose the ICL can be partly blamed when it came to the twenty20 as the IPL was only created to combat the rebel league.

This is like Microsoft releasing crappy products and accusing Apple for destorying the IT industry :lol:lol If all people in NZ watched cricket and payed a lot this will not happen. Welcome to free market in Cricket :D

----------

Btw this is the approved FTP

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/DOWNLOAD/0000/0045/ftp_2011_2020.pdf

Acc. to cricinfo we are also going to have ODI and Test championship. 21 England vs India test matches....lots of activity here for the next 10 years :D

Last edited:
Sad to see the official scrapping up of the Champions Trophy from the FTP. And do the ICC realize that they are organizing the next three World t20s all in the SC? As I said earlier, 2013 is the year for cricket to make a massive breakthrough in the world of sports.

You speak as if NZ was strong before. Having said that country based cricket is slowly going to die. It is a reality that the traditionalist got to face. Every major sport - football, soccer, ice hockey, rugby is league based and cricket is going to end up like that. That is what is going to truly globalize the game. International cricket is going to be reduced to pre 1990 levels with each team meeting once 5-10 years.

IPL does not force NZ or WI to send their teams. You can also not blame players wish to earn more money.

Are you out of your god damn mind sir?.

Absolutely nobody with a straight mind in the global cricket community would want to see cricket becoming league based and international cricket dying out. Especially when this league based cricket will be T20s. That is most ludicrous thing i've heard all year. :facepalm

Secondly my point was about the West Indies, im not sure what you are mentioning NZ for. Plus what does NZ being a strong cricket board before or not have to do with the ICC disrespectful decision to affect how many test they are playing over the next decade against the top teams??.

Thirdly i dont know how much football you watch. But international football is just a lucrative as league/club football.

T20 cricket is certainly the mechanism to globalize the game, but it certainly does not have to be to the detriment of international cricket. Dont be foolish.

Are you out of your god damn mind sir?.

Is it so hard to reply to my biased comments with your biased comments without being rude?

Absolutely nobody with a straight mind in the global cricket community would want to see cricket becoming league based and international cricket dying out. Especially when this league based cricket will be T20s. That is most ludicrous thing i've heard all year. :facepalm
50 years back no one in their straight mind would have wanted to play a 50 over game. It is the same. No one has time these days. T20 fits perfectly. Cricket was played by England and its former colonies. Most of the countries did not have a open market. Now the markets are open and more business involvement is inevitable. League based cricket is inevitable...resistance is futile :lol

Secondly my point was about the West Indies, im not sure what you are mentioning NZ for. Plus what does NZ being a strong cricket board before or not have to do with the ICC disrespectful decision to affect how many test they are playing over the next decade against the top teams??.

You said- Not just NZ have been marginalized.

Thirdly i dont know how much football you watch. But international football is just a lucrative as league/club football.
I did not say international cricket is going to cease to exist. It will still happen but the frequency of tours are going to be reduced and replaced with league games similar to football and Ice hockey.

T20 cricket is certainly the mechanism to globalize the game, but it certainly does not have to be to the detriment of international cricket. Dont be foolish.
Lol..another rude statement...anyway the market does not think like you :thumbs IPL tournament rights were sold for around the same amount as all ICC tournaments :thumbs I find games involving chennai and Banglore (two cities with a kind of frosty relationship) more interesting than Ind-WI.

Bit late but only found out yesterday about the new rules. Don't mind the new runner rule, that ensures there is no confusion about when a runner is allowed. About time the Mankad rule came back, there was no reason not to have it.

A sad day for cricket. I'm sure if Evertonfan was still here he'd mourn this loss.

That'll mean more time for his blog! Quite a young age in terms of cricketing to retire.

Going along with that runner rule the ICC will have to be careful about the on-field treatment that batsmen can receive. We don't want 5 minute physio visits every half an hour just because a batsman doesn't want to retire hurt. Perhaps they may need to legislate on it eg. only one physio visit (per ailment :p) and then you have to retire.

Users who are viewing this thread