General Cricket Discussion

That's very sad. RIP. I really hope Pakistan recovers from all this political/non political issues. They are a great country and if we talk about their cricket team, they have got some really talented players in their side (I really mean this). They just need right people in their cricket board and then see this team play like champions. :)

What a load of twaddle that headline is. I didn't think racial profiling was an accurate way of determining potential ability.

Or, were 18th Century colonialist conquerers on to something? Darwin would be spinning in his grave.

By no means is that comment from Zaheer racial profiling. He is making an assessment on IND fast-bowlers as an Indian mind you, that is universally known throughout the cricket world.

This also can be proven based on the lack of top class fast-bowlers IND have produced since they started playing international cricket in 1932.

Posted via Mobile Device

is it the first time or even previously all the 10 test playing nations have a series to be played

Last edited:
War -

I would suggest that India have produced a fairly large amount of fast bowlers, but most of them burn out. Nearly all their international seamers touched on 90mph when they first arrived. I don't think a nation of a billion people is limited in any way by their geography. Be as absurd as suggesting that spinning doesn't come naturally to an Englishman (or more contemporarily, an Aussie hehe).

In fact from the very article you posted -

When asked why several Indian fast bowlers drop significantly in pace while playing international cricket, Zaheer said: "It's about trying to adapt to the international level, where the room for error is less. You can't always do at the international level what you do at domestic level.

"You need to understand your bowling style and work on fitness that much more. The bottom line is as long you are able to produce results, it is fine. I also dropped pace, so basically it's important to know what works for you at the international level and put that into practice."

Hence my difficulty in digesting a headline that trys to imply that "Indian bodies are not designed to bowl fast."

Khan even says he had to drop his pace. Essentially, I have no idea what the article is trying to say, or even what Khan is trying to say. It consistently contradicts itself. My younger brother was in fact invited to the MRF pace bowling academy in Mumbai for a week where he was taught how to bowl a good bouncer, use his run-up effectively and swing the ball both ways with accuracy (as well as get hooked out the stadium over and over again by Michael Brown who was there working on his batting).

His feedback at the time (this was around 5-6 years ago now) was that there were plenty of quicks around, but what he told me (that they are essentially made to run and bowl all day at the batsman) was certainly not conducive to prolonged careers.

So, my reference to Darwin stands, we are all borne from the same pool, there is no lack of physical qualities to produce fast bowlers in India, but perhaps the conditions and development of those very same bowlers is lacking? In this case, nurture over nature if you will.

Can't be conditions since Pakistan has a heap of quick bowlers floating around. If Khan is right in saying they drop off in pace once they hit the top level then there is the problem right there. Going by his comments I'm guessing he means Indians can't afford to be wayward at the top level and hence sacrifice their pace for control to stay in the team.

Thus, I stand by my complete ridiculing of the headline used, and I propose that Dr Zaheer Khan, that bastion of physical fitness, is chatting rubbish haha

It was interesting what my brother told me at the time. The entire culture was so geared towards batting that the bowlers were essentially flogged into the ground, steaming in to bowl ball after ball at the upcoming batsman. Now, in that heat, on hard and unforgiving surfaces, it is only going to lead to future injuries and stunted development.

In fact, to anyone who played a reasonably high area of cricket in India I'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me. Here, for example, I represented my club, which then lead to trials and representing the area which would be North area of the Middlesex county, before then going for trials for Middlesex proper... which I didn't make.. not that I'm still bitter :mad

Now, as I finished my colt life (under 18), rules were introduced such as batsman having to wear helmets and fast bowlers limited to 4 over spells which had to be followed by 4 overs off before they can again bowl. As they got older it became 5, then 6, then unlimited. Does any such ruling exist in India? Or would a young talented seamer be bowled into the ground even as a developing young teenager?

Be interested to hear, what kind of protection exists for young cricketers in India, because certainly when my brother was there, bowlers were merely there to feed the batsman.

I can only assume no one from India in this entire forum has ever played cricket then? Explains a lot haha :)

Now whenever he retires again, just add a "*" to the headline.

* Terms and Conditions apply :p

Yeah I read that article. It will be truly marvelous if an Akram or a Marshal can come out of the two youngsters. Cummins has been brilliant so far and his will to bowl quick is what makes him potent and dangerous. He will definitely learn other tricks of the trade when he plays alongside Lee and other experienced Aussie pacemen.
Junaid Khan needs to do some more nets with Akram. He is skinny just like Akram was when he burst onto international scene. He will surely add some muscle and extra 10 KPH or so consequently. At this pace he needs to swing the ball a lot more than he does. He may not be as talented as Aamir but he is what we have to make do with. It will be fascinating to see Riaz, Khan, Cheema and few other quickies fight for slot of second and third seamer.

Cummins needs to be managed very very carefully.

In my opinion he should only be considered for t20's and ODI's for now. Cummins has only played 3 first class games, so I don't think he has the necessary experience to bowl spells in the longest format. Plus he is only 18, and has recently suffered back problems.

My plea to the Australian selectors... please show some common sense, we don't need another case of cricketing burnout !

Users who are viewing this thread