General Cricket Discussion

To be fair, though how many of them come over and learn their cricket in England? Meaker came over at 12 and has played Surrey and England cricket at every age group.

Strauss and Prior both came over when they were too young. Only KP and Trott have really 'switched allegiances'.

On the future of ODI's. I'd like to see the 40over comp that we get in England tried at international level. I really like the format.

It sounds good but the only problem I have with it is its pretty much tailor made for batsman. I don't want to see teams slogging their 40 overs and getting 250+ each time. Even though it can get pretty tedious in the middle overs of 50 over cricket at least it gives something back to the bowlers.

I think it's just a tactical problem. A lot of captains don't feel like they have the resources to attack for more than half the game and it's probably a true assessment for a lot of teams.

However, in the first 50 overs of a Test innings, a single bowler might get as many as 20 overs. 11-15 overs is a pretty standard effort. One-day captains don't have this capacity to press their advantage and protect their weak links; hence the stalemate.

If you could have one guy bowl 15, then the 5th bowler would only have to supply a spell of 5. You could reasonably allow 3 bowlers to bowl 12 and just ask that someone is prepared to bowl a T20 sized part-timer spell; which is not to say that it could never be more, but nor is it suggest that there aren't already some very tokenistic bowlers being treated as something more.

It affords captains that ace-in-the-hand pressure to make batsmen accountable as well as the real advantage of being able to get a couple more overs out of a preferred bowler. In turn, bowlers get a chance to have more success when it is their day. It's not all bad for batsmen either, because the selectors might just pick one more batsman because he can bat, not because he can kinda do both.

Australia lock in more England ODIs | Cricket | Fox Sports

Australia will play five more ODIs against England in 2012. Are they playing the old enemy too often?

Unfortunately yes, and it is watering down the product. After this series next year both teams would have played two 5 match and two 7 match series against each other in the last four years, absolute overkill. I don't think people would be as bored with the 50 over game as they are if they limited series to something like 3 matches but that won't happen because money rules..

Yea but has it during the football world-cup here in 2010, the Olympics will overshadow cricket next season. So to attract people to the ground next season, Australia is probably the only team that will bring out "English" fans to the cricket grounds.

I'm not so sure tbh, I think a lot more english fans would have welcomed another test or two vs South Africa. England does get some of the best test match crowds and I don't think they really give two hoots about ODIs.

----------

Hopefully they don't get as many people flocking in for the ODIs might teach ECB and CA a lesson.

There won't be an issue getting decent attendances for England v Aus next year. Regardless of the farce of the Olympics that will be taking place.

Anyone have a link to a good cricket highlights site?

across the tasman is a good torrent site for the latest highlights, if you don't want to use torrents I think they post megaupload links of the same content at cricfire.com

Users who are viewing this thread