General Cricket Discussion

148930.jpg

In some workplaces this might be considered inappropriate.

What really? Wouldn't have guessed.

"We are now considering issues which we should have thought of before the tournament. I won't deny that we made mistakes, and I think emotions ruled over our actual ability to stage the tournament. In the second edition, we'll try to create a win-win situation for players and teams. If teams aren't sustained, the tournament will collapse and along with it will go the cricket standards and players' futures." - From Cricinfo.

You may read the entire article here if you wish.

You want to see a bunch of young/weak players swing for their life's?

It's not good for their development. They should be playing matches that are as long as possible. I know in Australia there has been criticism that a lot of junior cricket (for kids, teens) has been switched to T20 style cricket and that it's not helping develop players very well.

Its another sin of society really, people are concerned with quantity and not quality, the argument is with T20 cricket more people around the world are following the game but the cost is the quality of cricket is being reduced. Ask any young teenager and I am sure he/she/it will rather play or watch a T20 game as opposed to T20 cricket, the excitement and the money it is what drives the world these days.

U-19's should not be playing T20 for a few years. The World Cup is good enough for the Colts. Thoguh, I'd really like to see a Test Championship amonsgt them The Test Championship can be trialled at the junior level and maybe then it can be mooted to the senior levels as well. This would give everyone an administrative view of the same.

You want some kids burning for 5 days when even seniors are not prepared to do that?

Thats exactly the reason why I want them to do so. The dwindling popularity of Test matches can only be upped if the cricketers themselves are willing to play the format.

A nice reason, but it'll affect the youngsters heavily in terms of stamina. You'd see their career affected in the future.

I don't buy this argument. They ought to have more stamina. Even after going back from the World Cup, you would expect most of them to turn out for their domestic sides. In fact, the likes of Chand and Aparijith have already played a couple of games[4 day] for their respective sides. So, I see no issues in trying out this one. Its way better than organizing a T20 tour for them.

I don't buy this argument. They ought to have more stamina. Even after going back from the World Cup, you would expect most of them to turn out for their domestic sides. In fact, the likes of Chand and Aparijith have already played a couple of games[4 day] for their respective sides. So, I see no issues in trying out this one. Its way better than organizing a T20 tour for them.

In fact I would say an U19 test championship would turn most of them away from the longer versions and want to play T20 even more. The two guys you said are batsman but there is no way as a bowler you could stay injury free consistently playing 4-5 day cricket at that age just look at Pat Cummins. can barely get on the park and hes only 19.

Users who are viewing this thread