Gilchrist dreams of T20 at Olympics

the only way T20 could debut in the Olympics is if the host is a test nation, or as an exhibition sport until there is sufficient demand. Cricket and baseball have similar problems, in that the field is uniquely shaped and would have limited use after the games (as in Athens, where the baseball facilities were temporary) and limited appeal outside of major playing nations. Sydney failed to capitalize on the opportunity of entering cricket as a demonstration / exhibition sport, and it looks like london will do the same in 2012. If India or South Africa gets the 2020 games then its pretty much a guarantee that T20 will be in the Olympics in some way.

India is bidding in the current progress.. Not only that, Even Cricket can be introduced in the Commonwealth games..

The Twenty/20 World Cup?

Never. Just as winning the football isn't nearly as big as winning the actual World Cup.

You can't be a discriminative person unless you can NOT accept the entrance of cricket into olympics, why? Football has hell loads of tournaments, but that doesn't mean that cricket is absolute dumb game, it's going global slowly, that's it, And if cricket was in Olympics from 1900 and never been withdrawn, you would see most of the europe having European Cricket Qualifiers as well as final tournament, which already exists, but played by again, restricted teams as it didn't happen.. Same thing goes with Asia, australia, america..

The problem lied in the ICC until they introduced the massive investment into cricket.. And, it was late, but they did it..

eh? I'm going simple now, If football has world cup and olympics, it can be said as both are World cups, where as olympics is more stronger to enter, and world cup gives younger teams more opportunity to participate to get developed, where as Olympics once again, stands for Straight hits, go for it when you have your army 100% Developed..

But that's not that point when it comes to cricket, the sport is the best in the world And Probably never been noticed by many.. And, if cricket is held in olympics, that too if it's T20, then it would any team to actually put their entire effort into the 40 overs.. and would also attract Affiliate, Associate teams Easily and even the Non-Members very easily too..

Cricket could have spread faster than football, but it was the time when sport wasn't the graceful thing than wars..

Would be a good inclusion into the Olympics. As mentioned above the tricky thing is getting the right stadium for the match. But seeing as the athletics track forms an oval and going from Telstra Stadium (Sydney Olympic stadium) it has configurations to make the ground more cricket like. So it's definitely possible to do it in any stadium that is hosting the Olympics.

Adam Gilchrist has said it the honest-to-goodness way he batted: he wants his sport to go global, not just remain limited to 10-12 so-called elite countries. He seeks a wider acceptability for cricket, a brighter future. As Gilly has rightly pointed out, there's no better way for a sport to go global than to find a place in the Olympic Games.
Not that he is the only cricket personality to think on these lines. From Sourav Ganguly to Kumar Sangakkara, they all agree this is the way for cricket to move forward.

In fact, the International Cricket Council has already initiated moves to join the Olympic fold. And, to give the man his due, Jagmohan Dalmiya had done his bit to spread the game to newer parts of the world during his time as the ICC president by organising tournaments in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Even the Chinese, who are hosting the Olympic Games, are said to be taking to the sport.

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3335127.cms

Shouldn't those who haven't played at international level play though? Or else it would just be like the WC. Olympics is for amateurs isn't it?

I would definetly get behind this idea. It would grow cricket exceptionally. However, maybe like the football in the Olympics, have a Under 23 age limit and have 3 overage players. Because otherwise this will just turn out to be another World Cup.

Yeah or the Under 19s cuz that seems to be the big Youth Division in World Cricket.
Though I think that Cricket need to return to the Commonwealth Games before you can think about it being in the Olympic Games. With the next Commonwealth Games being in Dehli in 2010 you'd think it'd be a no brainer

Last edited:
There is no way that Twenty20 Cricket should be played at the Olympics. I have debated this on another forum in the past, and not prepared to do it again.

There is no way that Twenty20 Cricket should be played at the Olympics. I have debated this on another forum in the past, and not prepared to do it again.

Still would like to know the reason behind this. I'm not T20's biggest fan either, but it's the only format that is the most Olympic friendly IMO.

Olympics want games done fast. I was listening to the opening ceremony yesterday and they were talking about implementing cricket in the future editions - they said the only thing holding them back was time. And T20 is our quickest option.

Users who are viewing this thread