Gilchrist dreams of T20 at Olympics

I don't like the idea of Cricket in the Olympics in any form (T20 or otherwise). Much like a lot of sports that are included in the olympics it just wouldn't feel right there, sure we watch the boxing or the football because they are on, but lets face it the olympics is about track and field thats what people are interested in. Other events just feel like second class sports.

If it is included it should certainly not feature Test players, Under 19's or something would be acceptable but cricket will just get into a shouting match about players availability like they do in football now.

There has already been a huge increase in the amount of T20 played in too short a time (IPL,ICL,Stanford, EPL, Stanford T20 for 20, World T20). None of these existed very long ago and if yet another competition is added the public will loose interest in T20 and ultimately Cricket in general. Some of these competitions haven't even got off the ground yet we really don't know how all these T20 competitions will be recieved in the long term, Constant changes just upsets and confuses the public and Cricket needs to slow down a bit. Look at the Champions Trophy, nobody really cares much about that now.

Last edited:
Having cricket in any form in the olympics will be a surefree way to expand the game. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Nobody has really cared about the Champs trophy for a while now :p

nope i wouldn't like it, the Olympics should be the pinnacle of every sport and if there is a higher stage for the sport it shouldn't be in the Olympics.

That's not true. The pinnacle of football is the World Cup, yet it is still in the olympics.

It will get a bigger platform,the game will be exposed to many other Non cricket-playing countries...

Australians cant stop us.

GOLD! GOLD! GOLD! FOR ZIMBABWE!

Last edited:
That's not true. The pinnacle of football is the World Cup, yet it is still in the olympics.
And it's completely useless at the Olympics, as is tennis. Cricket would suffer the same fate unless the ICC agrees to replace the T20 World Cup with the Olympics.

And it's completely useless at the Olympics, as is tennis. Cricket would suffer the same fate unless the ICC agrees to replace the T20 World Cup with the Olympics.

...but... but I want to hear GOLD FOR ZIMBABWE!

Seriously though; I don't think it matters all that much. It would help build interest of the sport to an amazing extreme.

This is a very good article plz do read:

ICC president investigates cricket at the Olympics
David Morgan, the ICC president, believes Twenty20 could fit neatly into the Olympic schedule, but has warned the sport to think carefully about a push for a spot at the 2020 Games. Adam Gilchrist started the campaign earlier this month and Morgan has been in Beijing this week seeing how the event works and meeting with officials.

Cricket gained recognition status from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) last year and Morgan said Twenty20 would suit the Olympic timetable "without any difficulty whatsoever". However, fitting the tournament into cricket's already-crammed international schedule could be a concern.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/365556.html

Whats your opinion after going trough this one?

Thanks for that article Nik. If it gets into the Olympics, does it mean that there wont be a World Cup anymore? That sucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread