Grand Prix-F1

No refuelling. Good or bad?

• Total voters
Better watching it recorded live than watching the highlights in my opinion, although for the race I may just watch/record the highlights...

only one channel shows it here and I don't think I remember ever seeing a replay of the entire race, so its catch it when its on or never see it again.

The BBC website says there will be a re-run of the race in full from 1pm to 3pm tomorrow, with highlights of it between 7pm and 8pm on BBC3.

Or the replay at 1pm on BBC1...
Nah race replays are no good, no way I'd get through the day without hearing the result somewhere and if I know the outcome there is no point in watching it. Sky+ or other PVR's are great for this. Record it, get up, watch it. Even if it's not finished. Just remember to not have your tv on BBC1 when you turn it off tonight, so it doesn't come on mid race ;)

Reminds me of the Soccer AM sponsorship from a few years ago. The guy avoided the result of the United-City game all day and had just sat down to watch the replay when the dog came through with the paper in its mouth with "United 2-0 City" on the front page. :p

*Spoiler alert*

What a race. Brilliant, fantastic - F1 is awesome again! I know three teams have an unfair advantage, but really dont care if we races like this all season. Feel sad for Vettel though, as it was almost completely Kubica's fault. Gave the German absolutely no room at the turning - what a pole!:D

But congratulations to Ross Brawn and his F1 team, and good to see our man Fernando get some points as well.

Wow, what a race! Rubens.. This reminds me his career in Ferrari ;) And the team message which he got during that last safety car laps reminds me where Rubens let Michael to let pass him near the final corner :p

As they said, this race goes to history books for the team on debut winning the race @ 1 & 2. And luck Hamilton.. he came forward and forward and ended up in 4th. Feel sad for Ferrari though. These guys seem to have some technical problem. Massa's technical failure and Kimi's 5 pits stop strategy tells the story. This is sad news for Ferrari.

But while looking at the result, Toyotas, B.Mercedes and STR Ferrari in top 8 spots really has raised the competition to next lever where we can't expect only Ferrari and McLaren in top spots. :hpraise

Well done Button for amazing driving and Well done Rubens for the experienced cum magnificent driving :hpraise

Great race; a few thoughts on the BBC coverage though...

Liked
Jake Humphrey - thought he did a really good job as anchor
Coulthard and Jordan - worked well together
Martin Brundle - awesome commentator
No ads

Disliked
Interactive forum - they read out 1 e-mail in an hour on air!
Jonathan Legard - he's still doing a radio commentary. Did you hear him as the cars went round the first bend?
TV production (by Aussies?) - focusing on the wrong battles and couldn't seem to find any footage of the Hamilton/Trulli safety car incident.

Would have liked
Tony Jardine
BBC to show constructors points - didn't happen at all as far as I could see
Some Top Gear tie-in
A mention of the fact that if the diffuser appeal goes against Brawn, Hamilton will actually have won the race.

barmyarmy added 2 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Feel sad for Vettel though, as it was almost completely Kubica's fault. Gave the German absolutely no room at the turning - what a pole!:D

The most generous assessment I had heard before now was 50;50. Even Vettel said it was his fault...
Kubica had a faster car and tyres that were working.

Sounds pretty good for the first go from the BBC. I'm sure the Interactive forum will be used more as the season goes on. Legard will probably warm into the role soon. And I should think Top Gear will have some input when the new series starts.

The British GP should be good, with the BBC hosting it - they'll come into their own.

Also the big plus point: No ads!

Jake Humphrey is a Norwich fan might I add. :D He is very often at our home games, leading On The Ball City, and a few of my friends who work at Carrow Road have served him pies over the years.

Wow! Superb start to the season, and some great driving all round today, especially from Button, Trulli & Hamilton.

Adored the BBC's coverage and its definitely a notch up from the very good ITV coverage of last year - loved Jake, DC and EJ's interaction. The commentary was patchy the start with, but improved drastically (and is a lot better than James Allen!), and Martin Brundle is supreme as always.

Malaysia next weekend, then. Can't look beyond Brawn at the moment, but think it could be an even tighter race with Red Bull, BMW, Toyota & Ferrari also looking pretty strong.

PS. Well done Seb Buemi on scoring his first point in his first race - has the Red Bull scheme uncovered another fantastic Sebastian? :p

*Spoiler alert*

What a race. Brilliant, fantastic - F1 is awesome again! I know three teams have an unfair advantage, but really dont care if we races like this all season. .

Ah, not this again. They've been cleared by the FIA, some teams are appealing, which I fully expect to be kicked out like a window in a bar that Jessie Ryder has been drinking in.

blindman said:
BBC to show constructors points - didn't happen at all as far as I could see

Yes, they did it straight after the drivers point, as is normal. ;)

Trulli has been given a 25-second penalty for breaking safety car rules. Which as Colin says, means Lewis win if Brawn get thrown out for having an illegal bottom.

What a joke! I have to endure 55 laps of hope and expectation only to see my two favourite drivers shunt each other off the track whilst cruising to podium places. It was a good race, but I'm just pissed that it had to be my favourite drivers who crash right at the end. Seems to happen in every sport for me at the moment...

and Kimi's 5 pits stop strategy tells the story.
Not really a strategy, I doubt he planned on hitting the wall :p

Great race; a few thoughts on the BBC coverage though...

Liked
Jake Humphrey - thought he did a really good job as anchor - Agreed
Coulthard and Jordan - worked well together - Not so sure about Eddie, He did more old man jokes than I do! If he stops banging on about Jordan he'll be ok.
Martin Brundle - awesome commentator - Agreed, gotta love how he always says "Gggggrrrraaaaweeenn Pre"
No ads - Suddenly I no longer feel the need to buy a Sony tv after each race!

Disliked
Interactive forum - they read out 1 e-mail in an hour on air! - Was too busy watching the race to be bothered by these extras
Jonathan Legard - he's still doing a radio commentary. Did you hear him as the cars went round the first bend? - Yes still very much in radio mode, but then lets give him some time. He is afterall better than James Allen!
TV production (by Aussies?) - focusing on the wrong battles and couldn't seem to find any footage of the Hamilton/Trulli safety car incident. - Cameras are controlled locally, yes.

Would have liked
Tony Jardine - Ermmmmmm
BBC to show constructors points - didn't happen at all as far as I could see - I switch off after the race has ended, plus I don't find it that hard to count up to 10, when I run out of fingers at the next race might be different ;)
Some Top Gear tie-in - Good God no! You couldn't find 3 guys less knowledgeable about F1 if you tried. Their antics would just cheapen the professionalism
A mention of the fact that if the diffuser appeal goes against Brawn, Hamilton will actually have won the race. - Maybe, Although I would say it would be very harsh to remove the points after the teams were categorically told it was legal.
The most generous assessment I had heard before now was 50;50. Even Vettel said it was his fault...
Kubica had a faster car and tyres that were working. - Racing incident for me, both drivers had brain failure

Overall a decent race to watch, although I think they really haven't thought these new regulations through properly.

Kers - Get rid of it as soon as possible. Only big teams can afford it, only small drivers will be able to carry it around and it just smacks of something out of a cheap F1 rip off arcade game

Tyres - Really dont like the fact that the 2 compounds are so far apart, performance wise. Probably means we are always going to see cars struggle for a portion of the race. This isn't real racing. Let the drivers choose the tyres they want, then we'll get some different strategies. Good that slicks have come back though.

Wings - Rear=ok Front= Stupidly big. They really have gone overboard with the front end grip, in an attempt to get some overtaking, but they didnt need to make the front wing so large, in conjunction with all the other design changes it's just that 1 step too far.

Fiddley bits - Glad they are gone.

Stewards - When Rubens escaped punishment for his antics I thought we may have got away from this rediculous, over the top, situation where penalties are handed out like sweets. Just once would like to be able to watch a race and when it ends, know the result. Fed up of checking websites an hour later to find a different result.

Users who are viewing this thread