Grand Prix-F1

No refuelling. Good or bad?

• Total voters
It's basically over anyway :p

I would agree with Sid and say they should stop trying to develop these cars and concentrate on next years (incidentally what Honda did before pulling out). Problem is they still don't know the rules for next year. Next years cars should pretty much be designed by now, yet they still can't sort out what they are doing. Surely this will end up in a cost increase rather than decrease.

My rules for next year would be

1. Dump KERS, less and less cars using it, it just doesn't work.
2. Get rid of having to use 2 tyre compounds, watching cars do 1/3rd of the race on blatantly the wrong tyres isn't good for racing and it can't be doing Bridgestone any favours marketing wise either.
3. Keep everything else the same. It might no be optimal and the idea that the current rules were supposed to make overtaking easier clearly haven't worked, but just chopping and changing them, introducing crazy medal schemes just makes the sport look amateurish.

BTW. Heikki vs Barichello was great at the start of the race. Shame it was way down the grid and for no points and shame it was good car vs crap car. But probably was the kind of tussle they were going for with these stupid arse regulations.

ITA about Kers and Tyre compounds. Makes a mockery of the sport.
Also a bit concerned at how hard it is to overtake still despite the reg changes. I know we always say this in the first part of the season and then there's more overtaking in the second half but still.

Trouble is, cars still have rear wings and aero devices at the rear underside of the car. This upsets the air behind. Make the front wing bigger and you get more front end grip, too much sometimes, so they need to make the front wing adjustable from the cockpit. If you want more overtaking you have to reduce still the aero packages and give the car more mechanical grip. Ground effects is the way to go here. For starters bring back active suspension and get rid of the "plank" on the underside.

Also get rid of sequential flappy paddle gear boxes, go back to manual H boxes. More chances for missed gearchanges and thus more overtaking.

Also get rid of sequential flappy paddle gear boxes, go back to manual H boxes. More chances for missed gearchanges and thus more overtaking.

Agree with that. I think the way to go would be to give the drivers more to do with their cars than the other way around. Having said that, no one can deny that Button has been outstanding this season.

BBC is reporting KERS will be scrapped for 2010!

Great news.

Although you do have to feel sorry for McLaren, who developed the only decent KERS system (shame the rest of the car is pants!) and must have spent Millions on it.

FOTA have broken Away From F1

Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso wont be competing next season. Instead they will create a rival series

So the future of Formula looks bleak now because everyone knows a rival breakaway series wont work and it F1 wont be anything without those teams

Source? How many teams will there be if all those big cars aren't competing?

Edit: Found the source. I know which one I'll be watching now.

Its interesting, but on the BBC article does this mean that they would still compete untill 2012?

BBC said:
"Following these efforts, all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

so basically they have announced their gonna break away but there not gonna have this rebel one for 4 years?

Its interesting, but on the BBC article does this mean that they would still compete untill 2012?

so basically they have announced their gonna break away but there not gonna have this rebel one for 4 years?

No, They where only willing to compete until 2012 if the FIA changed the rules which hasn?t happened. So this will be the last season of the current F1 as we know it unless something gets sorted out by today, which I doubt will happen as no one can come to one agreement

The breakaway series may actually work out since big names like Ferrari and Mclaren will be competing in it but then again they will find it hard to find circuits to race on as the majority of the circuits around the world are licensed by the FIA, so one possibility of this is many street circuits will be used by the rebels

No, They where only willing to compete until 2012 if the FIA changed the rules which hasn?t happened. So this will be the last season of the current F1 as we know it unless something gets sorted out by today, which I doubt will happen as no one can come to one agreement

The breakaway series may actually work out since big names like Ferrari and Mclaren will be competing in it but then again they will find it hard to find circuits to race on as the majority of the circuits around the world are licensed by the FIA, so one possibility of this is many street circuits will be used by the rebels

Well for one, it means that if the F1 move to Donnington at least Silverstone still has a future!

I'm fairly sure the rebel league would probably be able to use those stadiums as the F1 most only rent them when they go there and then when they are not there they are available for use. Although i'm not sure about this whole thing.

Well for one, it means that if the F1 move to Donnington at least Silverstone still has a future!

I'm fairly sure the rebel league would probably be able to use those stadiums as the F1 most only rent them when they go there and then when they are not there they are available for use. Although i'm not sure about this whole thing.

FIA has licenses on circuits for agreed amount of seasons. You right in the sense that the FIA could let the rebels use the circuits for a fee but under the circumstances I don’t think that will happen.

In a whole this was coming to formula one for a very long time. Its the FIA's fault they have been changing the rules every year, they cannot keep simple rules for more than one season. That’s what all the teams are complaining about and the 40m budgets was an absolute joke. I’m sorry but teams like Ferrari and Mclaren spend 200-300m on development of cars and lets not forget Jenson Buttons car was initially a 300m budget car from Honda last year, but in the last few seasons F1 has just been a joke how can last years winner not even been seen this year, The FIA has just changed the rules so much that a winner from one season can end up being 5th or 6th next season. Ever since the V10 engines disappeared that’s when F1 started to go down hill, I mean look at the cars this year! They look like a joke!!

FIA has licenses on circuits for agreed amount of seasons. You right in the sense that the FIA could let the rebels use the circuits for a fee but under the circumstances I don?t think that will happen.

Well I dont think its over just yet nor will it be decided by today or tomorrow. Things could change even after the season is completed, although one would reckon it would take place during it.

Also when you say a FIA licensed track does not mean they own the track. It basically means it is fit or licensed to host a F1 race. Does not stop them from hosting other tournaments/series and the FIA does not make money from these other tournaments.

Well I dont think its over just yet nor will it be decided by today or tomorrow. Things could change even after the season is completed, although one would reckon it would take place during it.

Also when you say a FIA licensed track does not mean they own the track. It basically means it is fit or licensed to host a F1 race. Does not stop them from hosting other tournaments/series and the FIA does not make money from these other tournaments.

Thats what I thought, they have to be used by other races? Well they must be! They can't have just been made solely for F1 and I don't they own them which means the rebel league could race their.

Well let’s just say the FIA will probably have greater influence on circuits rather than the rebels. If rebels do race on circuits with FIA licenses this could result in the FIA terminating licenses with the circuit owners and that has many downfalls, the circuits would not be recognised and they would lose out more revenue than they would gain from the rebels if the FIA abandons them. The only race circuits that FIA cannot have influence on is the street circuits.

It could happen but I highly doubt it. Only way I can see the teams go back into F1 is if Max and Berni leave the sport.

Many people have been excited about the break away series but it is not as simple as that. I doubt it would be covered on free to air TV

But as Fernando Alonso has just said Formula 1 is finished

Users who are viewing this thread