Greatest Sportsmen of All Time

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
With the London Olympics almost at an end I was wondering who you thought were the greatest sportsmen of all time? They can be from any sport and from any generation. Here is my top 10:

1. Muhammad Ali (Boxing)
2. Pele (Football)
3. Gary Sobers (Cricket)
4. Sugar Ray Robinson (Boxing)
5. Michael Phelps (Swimming)
6. Car Lewis (Track and Field)
7. Roger Federer (Tennis)
8. Don Bradman (Cricket)
9. Michael Schumacher (F1)
10. Jessie Owens (Track and Field)

Car Lewis was pretty quick...

Much faster than Van Persie, but maybe not as fast as Jet Li.

Potentially yes. He was beaten by a convicted drug cheat in Ben Johnson... but there is evidence he himself took drugs, albeit unknowingly. Or it was covered up.

----------

Also I always find it amusing people put Ali first in these kind of things... Some people need to do some serious reading about what kind of man Ali was when he was a boxer. He did some very brave things, but he was also more dispicable with his 'sledging' than Haye to the Klitchkos. He did some pretty disgusting things to Joe Frazier.

Usain Bolt would definitely make it onto my list, especially if he defends the 200m as well.

I don't know much about the athletes of most games but how about Yelena Isinbayeva. She has a quite a few records to her name.

Any chance of Dara Singh to make it to that list? It is said that he took part in over 500 professional fights, remained unbeaten right through his career and had beaten the likes of Lou Thesz and King Kong.

^^^hahahaaha

And sorry, no women simply because I've never really followed female sport.

----------

----------

[/COLOR]Also I always find it amusing people put Ali first in these kind of things... Some people need to do some serious reading about what kind of man Ali was when he was a boxer. He did some very brave things, but he was also more dispicable with his 'sledging' than Haye to the Klitchkos. He did some pretty disgusting things to Joe Frazier.

Really?? Worse than Haye? The man who threatened to cut off two mens heads and said what he would do to Harrison would be worse than gang ----? I'm not even going to go into the discussion of how sporting Ali could be, because this list is purely based on athletic ability and achievement in sport. :wave

If wrestling at fairs and being an actor were reasons to be in the top 10 sportsman of all time, then by all means he's the greatest :p

----------

^^^hahahaaha

And sorry, no women simply because I've never really followed female sport.

----------

Really?? Worse than Haye? The man who threatened to cut off two mens heads and said what he would do to Harrison would be worse than gang ----? I'm not even going to go into the discussion of how sporting Ali could be, because this list is purely based on athletic ability and achievement in sport. :wave

Yes worse. Do some reading :)

Crap list.

Cricketers shouldn't be in the list, let alone two of them.

Barely 6 countries play cricket and even less actually care about it.

^^^ You are just a hater and I can't take your opinions seriously. :thumbs

Que?!? I love Boxing and have followed it massively all my life. Ali's done some very incredible things, going to jail and losing some of his best years due to principle is one of them. His boxing was top class, albeit over rated with the rose tinted glasses that people who never saw him box often attribute to sportsman they never saw are prone to do. He will always be a legend, but part of it comes from getting ill with Parkinsons and what he has achieved after his boxing career. His legend is also more down to his fights for equal rights, and his steadfast position about the Vietnam war.

Try watching some actual documentaries and reading some actual historical reports as to what Ali did to Frazier outside the ring. There's a reason Frazier never really forgave Ali (reportedly saying that when Ali lit the Olympic flame, "they should have thrown him in"). He was a great fighter with a lot of heart, but by no means perfect. For starters he pretty much led a lynch mob to Frazier's house and stood outside barracking him. He was funny, witty, smart and incisive. He was also manipulative and self-centered beyond belief. At a time when racial issues still reared their ugly head, Ali called Frazier "Uncle Tom" which is akin to telling him he was a white man's puppet. He caused Joe's kids to be bullied at school. This despite the fact that Frazier helped Ali when Ali couldn't make ends meet. He thought only about himself, and there are many reasons why Joe never really forgave him.

You have no idea what you're talking about and with no real knowledge of the subject, so I'm afraid I can't take your opinion seriously :p

Someone like Pacquaio has achieved at so many different weight divisions, united an entire nation behind him, and now finds himself in politics within his own country. Ali was never the greatest because people said he was, he was the greatest because he said he was :p

Haye, Ali, Mayweather etc... they all fought in the same circus that is boxing, and they have all played to the crowds to sell fights.

It's also true that Ali gets some bad press in America due to his conversion to Islam, but a lot of his nastier sides are glossed over these days.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a better fighter than Ali for starters ;) So if you're just talking about ability and not legacy as you suggested, that's worth baring in mind. I'd say Jesse Owens certainly deserves to be near the top of any list of greatest ever sportsmen. What he did, where he did it, and the time it was done - Remarkable.

----------

Basically, your list is missing Michael Jordan which is fairly criminal in itself :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread