Group A - 12th Match Ireland v India

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The groups seem to be based on the results of the previous World Twenty20 (2007):

1. India - WINNER
2. Pakistan - RUNNER UP
3. Australia (4 points in Super 8, superior NRR)
4. New Zealand (4 points in Super 8, inferior NRR)
5. South Africa (4 points in Super 8, inferior NRR)
6. Sri Lanka (2 points in Super 8)
7. England (0 points in Super 8, superior NRR)
8. Bangladesh (0 points in Super 8, inferior NRR)
9. Zimbabwe (2 points in group stage)
10. Scotland (1 point in group stage)
11. West Indies (0 points in group stage, superior NRR)
12. Kenya (0 points in group stage, inferior NRR)

Looks like they straight swapped Ireland for Zimbabwe and Netherlands for Kenya. The groups then just go from 1 to 12 down and up:

1: Group A
2: Group B
3: Group C
4: Group D
5: Group D
6: Group C

Ideally, I think Ireland and Netherlands should have been placed at the bottom, making Scotland a part of India's group, West Indies a part of Pak and Eng's group and then so on. Maybe Ireland has a better ODI ranking than Scotland? Dunno... but the top 8 seem to be distributed correctly.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
WTF is this :eek: India has a got a fecking easiest group :mad: some one plz tell me how the group get done :rolleyes:

RainaRocks

School Cricketer
India should be able to top this group easily. T20 can be anyone's day but with this group India should easily be able to cruise to the next round

King Cricket

International Coach
WTF is this :eek: India has a got a fecking easiest group :mad: some one plz tell me how the group get done :rolleyes:

Because we are the defending champions. :rolleyes: Really, Avro, after winning the first ever T-20 Cup, don't you think that India deserves this advantage? Why, if the Aussies win this year, they will get this advantage next time- this is how it's done. Don't know why you are so sceptical about this.
BTW, you are supporting the Aussies, right?

King Cricket added 1 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

Maybe Ireland has a better ODI ranking than Scotland? Dunno

Yeah, of course they have a better ranking. Have you forgotten what happened in the original World Cup?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yes it's very simple, India gets an easy group because the West Indies spilled their lollies last time and now get 'punished' by getting grouped with Australia and Sri Lanka, based on the seedings that sohum pointed out. But in reality it punishes all 3 of those Group C nations.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yes it's very simple, India gets an easy group because the West Indies spilled their lollies last time and now get 'punished' by getting grouped with Australia and Sri Lanka, based on the seedings that sohum pointed out. But in reality it punishes all 3 of those Group C nations.
Well, how else are they supposed to distribute the groups without being biased? There's no Twenty20 rankings, so the only possible basis for seedings is the previous tournament.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I swear, it's like the ICC is doing their best to make sure India gets through to the next round this time. It's almost like they're afraid of entertaining the possibility that India could get knocked out of the group stages again, possibly because it may cost them a lot in advertising and viewership...

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I swear, it's like the ICC is doing their best to make sure India gets through to the next round this time. It's almost like they're afraid of entertaining the possibility that India could get knocked out of the group stages again, possibly because it may cost them a lot in advertising and viewership...

I don't get this, Sohum has explained things and people are just ignoring him so they can vent about how the BCCI are taking over the world.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I don't get this, Sohum has explained things and people are just ignoring him so they can vent about how the BCCI are taking over the world.
Beh. They could have done it differently anyways, no harm in basing it on the ODI rankings, or just taking the top 8 nations and randomly splitting them into 4 groups, and put Ireland, Scotland, Bangladesh and Netherlands randomly into one group each. But they chose to go by this method. It's just plain silly when one team has it far, far easier than the other sides in the tournament.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I wish Ireland was put in our group with either WI or SL in this group. At least that way you would have the top 8 test nations split evenly.

but bangladesh made it to the groups last year and, I believe, the windies didn't. (i think, it seems like a long time ago) you've got to have seedings and seeing as twenty20 rankings aren't being measured why should the windies have the advantage just on merit of playing test cricket.

I'm glad this happened to be honest

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Beh. They could have done it differently anyways, no harm in basing it on the ODI rankings, or just taking the top 8 nations and randomly splitting them into 4 groups, and put Ireland, Scotland, Bangladesh and Netherlands randomly into one group each. But they chose to go by this method. It's just plain silly when one team has it far, far easier than the other sides in the tournament.
So you're suggesting a random method is better than a logical, systematic method? Your solutions are either not taking into consideration any logic (random) or using an inaccurate method (ODI rankings) and both are being biased against the weaker nations. As mentioned by StinkyBohoon, Bangladesh made it into the Super 8's last time while West Indies did not. In fact, Zimbabwe even beat Australia--so using ODI rankings would not do the fact that Twenty20 is somewhat chancy justice.

Until there is a Twenty20 ranking system in place, the best method to organize groups will be by past results--in this case it is the previous World Cup.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well, how else are they supposed to distribute the groups without being biased? There's no Twenty20 rankings, so the only possible basis for seedings is the previous tournament.

Yeah exactly, I don't really mind - I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out that it makes group C a tough group. But whoever gets out of that group will probably be quite pleased as they will have been more thoroughly tested earlier in the tournament and will probably be playing better because of it. There is always a positive spin to be put on it.

As long as there is a set criteria for sorting out groups and it is followed to the letter I am very happy. And as you've pointed out there is a criteria - the rankings from the last tournament. And it's been followed exactly - no exceptions. So it's obvious there is no conspiracy or bias happening here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread