Group C - 11th Match Sri Lanka v West Indies

:banana2:banana2Need I say more, I love it when Gayle is pissed off, and writing bad press about him and the West Indies did just that, I hope David Lloyd and company will give West Indies a break and try to help England make it to the next round.
This was more than an ass kicking, happy fishing Roy!!!:banana2:banana2

Last edited:
WHat a time for Gayle to turn up to the party. Australia could go home early if Sri Lanka can beat them which i'd say there's a really decent chance.

They're not gunna stay for the ashes? :o

:banana2:banana2Ned I say more, I love it when Gayle is pissed off, and writing bad press about him and the West Indies did just that, I hope David Lloyd and company will give West Indies a break and try to help England make it to the next round.
This was more than an ass kicking, happy fishing Roy!!!:banana2:banana2

David Lloyd did say West Indies don't stand a chance ...

One of those hope situations, thank you selectors for putting us in this mess. Not taking anything away from the Windies who were great with their batting and bowling.

Always knew deep down that our bowling the the shorter form of the game left a lot to be desired.
Lee was the big disappointment, expected a lot more from him after seeing his IPL and warmup form. His speed was good but compared to Taylor, he didn't look like threatening the batsmen. Johnson the most dangerous of our bowlers but a bit expensive by his new high standards. Bracken, pretty average, he seems to struggle on these quicker decks.

Wish we brought Krejza along, he was the most economical bowler in our T20 comp and we know he can change a match. Anyway we definitely have to play Hauritz next game.

So is ian chappell still doubtful of west indies chances ?

The timing of Symonds' indiscretion couldn't have been worse. Australia already had a difficult enough task just trying to qualify for the semi-finals. With their loss against West Indies, it's now that much tougher for them to get past Sri Lanka and move on to a Super-Eight Group E that's loaded with talent.

With due respect to West Indies, the most likely scenario is a group that will include India, Australia and South Africa. That's the three best teams in the tournament, all in one Super Eight group. The lop-sided nature of the draw means that one of the big three will miss out on a semi-final berth. Following Symonds' demise, the chances that team will be Australia just rose like a sky rocket on New Year's Eve.

Because Twenty20 matches are brief there's very little time to recover from a setback. Therefore teams with match-winners at the top of the order or among the frontline bowlers are well placed to wrest the initiative. Australia just lost one of a rare breed; a player who can have a major affect on a game from the middle order. Nevertheless, Australia are still well credentialled and rank up there with India and South Africa. Virender Sehwag, Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina can all get a move on at the top of the order for India, and Zaheer Khan is a proven wicket-taker - though his fitness is under a cloud. Australia are well placed with Shane Watson, Brad Haddin and Ponting and the lethal pairing of Mitchell Johnson and Brett Lee to make early inroads.

South Africa rely on a slightly different formula. Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis aren't a typical helter-skelter Twenty20 opening combination, but the team compensate with the sublime skills of JP Duminy and AB de Villiers. Dale Steyn and Wayne Parnell are a capable opening bowling pair, but the real surprise is South Africa's sudden reliance on spin. South Africa have recently stifled Australia's batting with spin in both the shorter versions of the game. The emergence of Roelof van der Merwe to partner Johan Botha, and the guile of Duminy, give South Africa a trio of wicket-takers in the middle- to late overs.
After watching today's game he still doesn't think the windies can make it ?

Aussie have to go past Sri Lanka first for this to happen and seeing how they fare against quality spin I wont be confident. As Sly said the balme lies with selectors. Ok they forgot about Hodge but when Roy replacement was required he should have been first one to be onboard. Also they should seriously consider playing frontline spinner. The batting tracks in England allow batsman to play freely against pace as ball comes on to bat nicely.

Aussies need a big win against Lanka,the Windies run rate must be sky-high at this moment.
This is the kind of cricket we need. It would be sad to see a major team go out,but thats the way it is supposed to be.

Hope the Aussies get their act right against Lanka.

I would like the Aussies to go through as well along with the Windies. Sri Lanka, though a good team are`nt an exciting one at the moment (go,point out Mendis,Murali,Sanath,Sanga and Mallinga). Their batting is okay on paper but nothing to set the world on fire. The problem for Australia is the way they lost yesterday.

Nah,I don't think the Aussies would change their team. They were simply blown away by a Strong Gale. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread