GTA IV on PC

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's out now, isn't it? Has anyone got it yet? No spoilers, please, but how is it different to the console versions? Has it got extra features or content and have Rockstar finally given us a decent hand to hand combat system; the one in Bully would be ideal!!

One other thing: does the traffic move at a realistic speed now, so you can't chase after a car on foot and catch it?? That's one of the things that has bugged me about GTA for years!

Finally, how do you think it'll run on my PC?

Last edited by a moderator:

pingusten

Club Cricketer
I'll be blunt. Rockstar have produced what people are calling the worst port, ever.

It's lagging on medium settings with a quad core, 4870x2 1GB, and 4GB of RAM. That's how pathetic it is.

Basically, they claim that modern hardware cant support high. Complete rubbish, if it runs on a console it should run on that PC, technically speaking about 5 times as powerful.

I'd wait for a patch. And a new ATI driver, many are having texture problems with ATI cards.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'll be blunt. Rockstar have produced what people are calling the worst port, ever.

It's lagging on medium settings with a quad core, 4870x2 1GB, and 4GB of RAM. That's how pathetic it is.

Basically, they claim that modern hardware cant support high. Complete rubbish, if it runs on a console it should run on that PC, technically speaking about 5 times as powerful.

I'd wait for a patch. And a new ATI driver, many are having texture problems with ATI cards.

Hmm. PC Gamer gave it 93%, but I trust gamers' opinions more. Gamer also said that 'Bully' was an awful port, have you played that by any chance on PC? Thanks for the heads up, anyway, will wait for a patch. Game'll probably come down a bit by then, anyway. See, the thing about me is I don't have to jump on a new game as soon as it comes out, I usually end up waiting and buying them for around ?10 less.

Please don't tell me Rockstar are going down the 'PCs can't handle NG', I've had enough of that garbage from EA and Fifa 09!!

By the way, I run XP. Does GTA IV run better on that?

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Get a PS3 or a 360 gents, it's the only way to run all the latest games without constant upgrades.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Get a PS3 or a 360 gents, it's the only way to run all the latest games without constant upgrades.
No it isn't. As pingusten stated even my PC is atleast 3 times powerful than any console out there. The point is that while a lot of optimisation is put into the consoles, nothing is put in the PC version.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

Bollocks. My PC can run most games out there, either at excellent level, or very good level. I haven't upgraded my PC for around two years.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Pure hardware power doesn't make a PC a better gaming machine than a console...

The actual games available are what's important, and the PC misses out on a lot of top quality console exclusives, gets some games really late (such as GTA IV) and gets shoddy console ports (Virtua Tennis, GTA IV).

GTA IV is one of, if not the biggest game of 2008, and PC gamers had to wait a long long time for it, and then people are calling it one of the worst ports ever. That really is a major disadvantage of gaming on a PC.

As I said before, having the powerful hardware doesn't guarantee a better gaming experience - yes, the PC exclusives may look wonderful, but most of them are just shooters or strategy games anyway.

Anyway, once there is a patch to sort out the problems with the PC version, you will enjoy it, it's a very good game, albeit way too easy and too short. It's the sort of game you'll be hooked on for a week or two, complete it, play online for a bit and then it'll just be a game you play to release anger with or try to do funny stuff :p.
It's longetivity isn't the best - online it just lacks something. As an out and out shooter it isn't on par with others out there, and as an out-and-out racer it isn't on par with others out there and they are the two things it tries to be online.

Would you say it's much shorter than GTA SA, then? Although, that was a really long game.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Well, the storyline itself probably isn't that much shorter, but travelling between missions/exploring takes a lot less time (or none at all, with the ability to teleport anywhere in a taxi), and there are less activities/other things to do, so the game seems really short.

As I said before though, it's still a great game and shows massive potential for the next version, which will hopefully return to a big map like SA. One thing I really loved about SA was flying round in a Hydra (the fighter jet) at high speeds, doing stunts and stuff, it was unrealistic as hell but GTA isn't meant to be realistic, and it's the sort of game which can get away with unrealistic stuff.

Hopefully the next GTA brings that back, along with remote control cars/helicopters/planes which blow up :p They are one of the traditional things of the GTA series, I was surprised when they didn't make an appearance at all in IV.

Hmm. Sounds as though they've mucked the game up by letting you 'teleport' by using taxis. What's the hand to hand combat system like and does the traffic finally move a bit faster, so you can't run and keep up with them?? I reckon this'll be one I'll grab when it comes down a bit; they would've fully patched it by then as well. Like you, I loved the huge open space of SA, the way you could go for a real long drive with motorways and everything. Thanks for the info, anyway!

As for the next game? GTA London, please! You're British, ffs Rockstar! Make a 3D remake of GTA London, just bend the whole 'British police don't carry guns' rule!! Can you imagine a modern GTA game set in London? It'd be great! I was really disappointed with this one being set in the USA AGAIN, especially after the rumours that it would be set in London.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I got the game yesterday, and having never played GTA VI before, it seems awesome to me. I was surprised at the size of it, two DVD's incredible.

Performance wise its a real hog. Here is my benchmark scores using the in game test, these are using the latest beta drivers from ati 8.12 which offer improved performance in game and can be downloaded from here.

ATI Catalyst 8.12 beta (8.561 RC3) XP 32/64-bit
http://www.mediafire.com/?dojmwyjn4nt

ATI Catalyst 8.12 beta (8.561 RC3) VISTA 32/64-bit
http://www.mediafire.com/?h1ytmgy40w3

Statistics
Average FPS: 40.13
Duration: 37.28 sec
CPU Usage: 83%
System memory usage: 77%
Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT + ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT (Crossfire X Supported)
Video Driver version: 6.14.10.6891
Audio Adapter: SB Audigy 4 [7C00]
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 3.40GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
You can buy very good PCs, but in time they become outdated, and realising this less and less games are becoming available on PC. With next gen consoles way down in price at the moment, I say that if you are serious about gaming, get one while Shopmas* is still on.

*Shopmas is what I call the holiday occasionally used to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
You can buy very good PCs, but in time they become outdated, and realising this less and less games are becoming available on PC. With next gen consoles way down in price at the moment, I say that if you are serious about gaming, get one while Shopmas* is still on.

*Shopmas is what I call the holiday occasionally used to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.
When a new technology comes out it doesn't mean the older one is outdated. That's the best way I can state it.

A technology becomes outdated when it gets unusable. Not when something new comes out necessarily.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
This seems horrible. How much RAM do you have Gas?

2 GIG DDR2 850Mhz, sadly though ram is not the problem. Lack of video memory is hurting me, and i have 512mb.

For most it seems to be either a cpu bottle neck, or lack of memory (GPU)

Users who are viewing this thread