Hindi Cinema Discussion

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Watched the movie today. I got to say that I didn't just like it, but loved it. Hrithik has done a fabulous job, and so has Rishi Kapoor. Disappointed a bit from Sanjay Dutt but I guess the high expectations from him are the main reason for the disappointment. Priyanka did justice to the relatively small role she had.

Overall an awesome movie. First time ever I got emotional watching a movie. The scene in which Vijay's father is hanged, and another one later when Vijay visits his mother's place for dinner and sits outside the house, eating dal-rice saying that this is his mother's love were two scenes which I found very touchy. I didn't even feel so emotional in any scene of TZP, no idea what happened to me in this movie.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I thought Agneepath was an above average film, much better than the recent truckload of crap masala films. And this was mainly due to the extraordinary performances of the lead characters Sanjay Dutt, Rishi Kapoor and Hrithik Roshan. These three (in that order) lifted the film pretty well. The film's story and screenplay are as old as the Himalayan hills (obviously the story is a remake of a very old critically acclaimed box office flop film). But these actors rose above the inane script and made the film more than watchable. Music was boring, and Priyanka was wasted. Katrina suprisingly rocked the Chikni Chameli song with her scorching dance (though the song was nothing great shakes). Overall, decent film.

Last edited:

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
You say old Agneepath was flop? You say Katrina is he? :clap :lol

You are too found of tamil music hence you dont like this music as its to Marathi oriented, I would say fantastic music by national music award winning directors. Chikni Chameli was okish, Deva Shree Ganesha was awesomely awesome! (Only Mumbaikers will feel the beats properly), Gun guna re gaana re was pretty decent!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
You say old Agneepath was flop? You say Katrina is he? :clap :lol

You are too found of tamil music hence you dont like this music as its to Marathi oriented, I would say fantastic music by national music award winning directors. Chikni Chameli was okish, Deva Shree Ganesha was awesomely awesome! (Only Mumbaikers will feel the beats properly), Gun guna re gaana re was pretty decent!

What?? That Katrina thing was a typo, changed it now:D

Agneepath original version was a box office dud. This was said even by the producer of the current version, Karan Johar whose dad only produced the original version. He said Yash Johar was hurt by the commercial failure of the original and so Karan wanted to right it by producing this one for his dad.

What does my liking for Tamil music have to do with this? By the way, thats not a proper argument. There are so many people who like both Tamil and Hindi music. I am one of them. But I found the songs of Agneepath boring. Only "Deva Sree Ganesha' was decent to an extent. I wish someone like Salim-Sulaiman or Vishal-Shekar had composed for this film. They do good catchy music.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I thought Agneepath was an above average film, much better than the recent truckload of crap masala films. And this was mainly due to the extraordinary performances of the lead characters Sanjay Dutt, Rishi Kapoor and Hrithik Roshan. These three (in that order) lifted the film pretty well. The film's story and screenplay are as old as the Himalayan hills (obviously the story is a remake of a very old critically acclaimed box office flop film). But these actors rose above the inane script and made the film more than watchable. Music was boring, and Priyanka was wasted. Katrina suprisingly rocked the Chikni Chameli song with her scorching dance (though the song was nothing great shakes). Overall, decent film.
You can I can never have the same views! :p
I felt Hrithik was the best, followed by Rishi Kapoor and then Sanjay Dutt.
And regarding Chikni Chameli, well for some reason it looks good on TV and promos but I didn't find it too entertaining in the movie!

----------

And I hope you guys know that the original Agneepath was released twice. First Amitabh had changed his voice, and the film flopped. Yash Johar (father of Karan Johar and the maker of original Agneepath) was very disappointed, and asked Amitabh to dub the entire movie in his nature voice.

The movie was released again and was a blockbuster hit.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
If you see the movie was to be focused on roles and acting, hence there were only songs limited to 4. Chikani Chameli, Gun Guna Re Gaana, Deva Shree Ganesha and that romantic track. The music directors IMHO have done a fab job in inserting decent music into such a serious film. Oh ya theres the 5th sufi kind of song too :p

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
And I hope you guys know that the original Agneepath was released twice. First Amitabh had changed his voice, and the film flopped. Yash Johar (father of Karan Johar and the maker of original Agneepath) was very disappointed, and asked Amitabh to dub the entire movie in his nature voice.

The movie was released again and was a blockbuster hit.

Even today, people talk about the film being a flop with its original version. Check out director Karan Malhotra's recent interview on Rediff. Karan said it too. If it was a blockbuster on re-run, they would not have said those things. Might have done much better than the initial run, but it must surely not have been a blockbuster.

ssdt

Club Cricketer
Looking at all those reviews made by Taran Adarsh, its definitely that he only picks movies that makes a lot of money and are without SRK to be the best. He ranked Bodyguard to be better than Agneepath? seriously?

Varun

ICC Board Member
Rockstar yesterday, excellent movie. It's been a time since I saw something like that from Hindi Cinema.

I'd be quite interested in knowing how Imtiaz Ali came about the idea. If he conceived it just for the sake of turning it into a super-hit movie, I'd be disappointed. The storyline seems more like the one which you get a faint conception of, and are so obsessed with it, you cannot get rid of it.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Rockstar yesterday, excellent movie. It's been a time since I saw something like that from Hindi Cinema.

I'd be quite interested in knowing how Imtiaz Ali came about the idea. If he conceived it just for the sake of turning it into a super-hit movie, I'd be disappointed. The storyline seems more like the one which you get a faint conception of, and are so obsessed with it, you cannot get rid of it.

For me, Rockstar is like wine. It gets better with age.:cheers I have watched the film 15 times probably by now.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Have seen a few movies recently. Kabul Express, New York, Thank You and Chillar Party. All of them were really good except for Thank You which bordered on mediocrity. Chillar Party is a movie I would recommend to anybody. I think it's as good as 3 Idiots.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Have seen a few movies recently. Kabul Express, New York, Thank You and Chillar Party. All of them were really good except for Thank You which bordered on mediocrity. Chillar Party is a movie I would recommend to anybody. I think it's as good as 3 Idiots.

As good as 3 Idiots? Now I got to watch that! Its available on Netflix in HD but I have never had the interest in trying it out (obsessed by star studded films:D).

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
As good as 3 Idiots? Now I got to watch that! Its available on Netflix in HD but I have never had the interest in trying it out (obsessed by star studded films:D).

Yeah, I watched it on Netflix too. I don't know if Udaan is still on netflix but that is also one of my favorite movies. Chillar Party, Udaan and 3 Idiots are probably 3 of the best movies to come from Indian cinema over the past few years.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Thanks to shravi, Watched "Chillar Party". ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANTTTTTT!!!! A movie that made me cry and laugh in equal measure. Each and every kid deserves a jappi (hug) and a kiss....:D Loved the kid who played "Jhangya". All this fuss to save that dog "Bhidu" but still the warmth that comes across the movie portrayed by those children was so real that you end up cheering for them in the end when they take on the minister on national television. The scene where Fatka cries after losing Bhidu is super emotional. Keep your hankies with you while watching this scene. Melted my heart completely!

Highly recommended! For me, its a classic.:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread