Hindi Cinema Discussion

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Just watched Barfi. Amazing movie. Ranbir, without saying a single word, stole the show and was just on another level. Priyanka slightly overacted but it's still probably her best performance to date. Interestingly, it's probably her first movie where her job isn't just to look good. Great blend of comedy, sadness, and romance.

My favorite actors are Ranbir, Imran and Aamir.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Jab Tak Hai Jaan

The movie impresses in bits and pieces. It's not one of those movies, which keep you interested throughout. The story is the most shocking part of the movie, it impresses me at no stage. Unnecessarily made long as if just for the sake of it, the movie could have finished a bit early because to be fair, it does bore you at times.

SRK was good, not too great. Although if we consider the type of role he had, I don't blame him. Katrina didn't impress me, she looks good and all but as far as acting is concerned, she just doesn't seem to fit in her role. Anushka though, was very good. She had a difficult role, being funny and all in the early part of her role and then perhaps being a bit serious, she did justice to her role.

To sum up; this movie is bound to get mixed reviews, like it already is. Considering this is the last movie from the great Yash Chopra, as Sai mentions on the last page, the movie can be watched because it's last time you're gonna see a Yash Chopra film. Apart from this, don't get your expectations too high.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^^OMG Adi.... Your review seems like a replica of mine, but for a few tiny points (e.g. the Katrina view).:D What did you think about Rahman's score for the film? Did you even notice it? I felt Rahman's score for the film was lousy and dull. Normally, he makes you sit up and notice his background scores, but this film it just passed and felt inane.... Not the Rahman we know!

The movie is raking in the crores. But years down the line, not many will remember this Yash Chopra film like they do with Veer Zaara, Dil To Pagal Hai, Kabhie Kabhie, Silsila, Lamhe, Chandni, etc. Aditya Chopra ruined the film with an inane storyline.

Last edited:

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Indeed, both the reviews are very similar. :) As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Rahman's songs in this movie just don't impress me. Lousy and Dull, perfectly explained. On another point, the way songs have been placed in this movie, do not impress me either.

Sharukh singing the song on the streets of London, people hearing. Now, that's fine to me. The point that really goes beyond me is; how is Katrina always at the same place as Sharukh, while he's singing challa! :p

I must also add here, I'm not a big fan of songs being added in the movie just for the sake that Indian movies must be full of songs and dances, it just doesn't work sometimes. For instance, "Khaabon Ke Parindey" in ZNMD was perfectly planned song, it makes so much sense. Hrithik being in the car, happy and delighted by what has happened, looking around and the song is playing. Now, that's what I like about bollywood but not "Ishq Shaava" in JTHJ. Makes no sense to me. Taking nothing away from Rahman, Heer is a good song and perhaps the ONLY song in the movie that has a "slight" touch of Rahman's magic. Apart from this song, the usual Rahman is missing. In another words, the Rahman that we know for the songs of "bombay" could not be seen in this movie.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Well Aditya, don't compare ones music with his/her earlier works, because it is past and he/she is not supposed to reproduce the same stuff:).

And coming to the run time of the movie, flashback was too lengthy. That instrumental music (dance of Kat and SRK) followed by Ishq saava, pure 10 minutes of sleep. And the small point there in flashback was they both were in love and they got parted due to Katrina's beliefs. They could have showed that in bit less time than what it is now.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
No one is expected to reproduce a certain work again and again, the point I'm making is of a certain standard that one sets for themselves. With Rahman, we expect a certain standard that he has set for himself and I'm talking about that. His music in JTHJ is way below the standards he has set for himself.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
No one is expected to reproduce a certain work again and again, the point I'm making is of a certain standard that one sets for themselves. With Rahman, we expect a certain standard that he has set for himself and I'm talking about that. His music in JTHJ is way below the standards he has set for himself.

That is according to you, (or numerous people) but Rehman feels that it is his best currently:).

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Friends Had plans to watch JTHJ in cinema.I refused after reading reviews,will surely watch it on PC

Can watch once in cinemas. Its not a bad movie. But not great either! Once atleast for 'the Yash Chopra'.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Exactly. It's not a movie like Chak De or Veer Zaara which are par excellence. I still feel the movie had potential and could have been turned into at least a good movie but that just wasn't the case.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
OMG was on Rishtey channel yesterday so watched it. Not bad film, but a little to predictable. What did you guys think about the film?

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Different from the usual bollywood movies, that's for sure. Made on a very sensitive topic and could have gone into trouble for that but was directed and scripted to perfection. It was predictable at times, yes. Although someone taking the initiative to make such a realistic movie must be appreciated.

Akul

International Coach
Jab Tak Hai Jaan - Amazing movie, your ass while be stuck to the seat before the interval and after the interval. Expect this from me as I am a SRK Fan.

Son Of Sardaar - Got it self rap** :p. Worst movie, a bit of humour and some punches make the movie downloadable or atleast worth a watch on your PC.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Aamir Khan's "Talaash" this Friday. Massively underplayed by the team (even though Aamir did a few TV appearences on CID and another channel to promote the film). Guess not many must be knowing that an Aamir Khan film is releasing this Friday. If the film is good, it will kick on huge through word of mouth...

Pretty worked up to catch the film on Friday itself. Now with Bollywood movies releasing to regular showtimes in my place here in the US, will watch multiple times if the film is good (planned that for JTHJ, but the film wasn't that good to warrant multiple viewings).

Attachments

• Talaash Music.jpg
    Talaash Music.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread