Hindi Cinema Discussion

I was really looking forward to watch Bombay Velvet but the trailer that was released yesterday is very disappointing. I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the trailer. I really hope that movie will be better.

It really is very disappointing and confusing.

It feels like a cross between the dark/gritty movies of Anurag and the extravagant movies of KJo, resulting in a 'khichdi' trailer

Piku *ing BigB, Irrfaan, Deepika. Looks really fun and refreshing

Loved the trailer of 'Piku'. Looks like a good family oriented comic caper.Even though Deepika has been overrated in the trailer, its Amitabh Bachchan who takes the cake and eats it with glee! His voice modulation and performance is just mind blowing! He is one of the finest actors of many generations. His growth from the 'angry young man' to such a versatile actor is tremendous.

Deepika is already overrated, in the trailer itself ? :P

Even though this is not about hindi movies, but here is the link to Justin Bieber roast if anyone wants to watch it. Now compare this with AIB roast and see where India is at the humour level.

Not quite sure what you mean. 30 minutes into it, and I dont see how its better or worse than AIB

It has been only mildly funny so far. I mean, clearly there is a problem when natasha leggero is the funniest roaster on the floor. hope it turns out better

They are actually going so easy on Beiber. Kissing his a$$ in the end. You should watch James Franco's roast. That was brutal

Last edited:
Bombay Velvet seems a typical Anurag disaster. The guy tries nonsense in the name of "unconventional offbeat film making". Sometimes I feel very strongly that some of the critics have rated his earlier films a little too high (e.g. Dev D; this was one of the most crappiest films of Anurag and people hailed it as some sort of a cult film).

Never understood the hooplah about his movies. Dev D was a decent movie, but was turned into a cult simply because it had a song with the words emotional atyachaar and "you b*tch" in it, and all the heartbroken, wannabe aashiqs could somehow related to that stupidity of it lol

Another Kangana hit coming your way. Unless of course if Imran decides to ruin it.

Watched a whole host of good entertaining movies this summer!

Piku - Brilliant! A very sweet, realistic portrayal of the father-daughter relationship by Amitabh and Deepika. Irrfan Khan also adds so much to the film with his presence. Deepika has grown a lot as an actor and can rightfully be called a superstar. She needs to pick similar roles/films to truly compete with the current female superstar Kangana Ranaut. Amitabh as usual gives a knockout performance. Shoojit Sircar yet again makes a lovely film (his Madras Cafe was very good).

Dil Dhadakne Do - Loved it!!!! This movie has lot of mixed opinions but to me, I enjoyed this more than Zoya's earlier film "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara". This film had all the similar quotients - humor thrown in dollops, excellent performances, very pleasing and hum worthy music and wit at its peak! Yes, its a "rich people's problems" kinda film but there is nothing wrong in making such films. Ranveer Singh surprises people with an awesome performance. Priyanka is excellent and shares a very sweet chemistry with Ranveer as his elder sister. Farhan is wasted and so is Anushka. But the best is reserved for Anil Kapoor and Shefali Shah, who are just mind blowing. The music is very catchy, esp. Gallan Goodiyan which is brilliantly shot as a "one take" song. Can watch this film any no of times.

ABCD 2 - Good, but could have been better! The best thing about this film is the dancing, which borders on spectacular to sensational levels. Never before have I seen people completely glued to their seats during the end titles. The dancing alone gives this film a huge respect. And the music adds to the glory. But the screenplay and the acting falters at quite a few places. The second half drags (where they roam around in Vegas) and some of the acting is truly ordinary. The climax is cliched with heavy patriotism but it works because the dancing is just so so so good. The movie overall might not be better than the previous version, but the dancing completely outdoes the first version.

Yes, its a "rich people's problems" kinda film but there is nothing wrong in making such films

Its amazing how a "high society problem" movie makes people so antsy and makes them not enjoy a perfectly decent movie. We heard such disappointing reviews of it that we went in with very low expectations. But it turned out to be so much fun. The script and characters were not as strong in ZNMD or Luck By Chance, by Zoya definitely has storytelling talent. PC and Shefali Shah stole the show. Loved PC's exasperated outbursts at her extended family

She needs to pick similar roles/films to truly compete with the current female superstar Kangana Ranaut.

As much as I appreciate Kangana for the roles she is picking, I think Deepika has struck an even better balance with her roles. Its not easy to be the leading lady opposite a big superstar and still be the best thing about the movie.

She has been doing for a while now - overshadowed Ranbir in Yeh Jawaani, Ranveer in Ram Leela, SRK in Chennai Express, BigB in Piku. Got rave reviews in Finding Fanny as well.

Users who are viewing this thread