Hindi Cinema Discussion

Watched and loved "Bajrangi Bhaijaan". A Rajkumar Hirani type movie from Kabir Khan and Salman Khan! For a Salman film in recent times, this film is very different and has a sincere story to tell and has Salman underplaying himself to the needs of the script. A few logic loopholes could have been plugged, but from a bigger picture, they can be brushed off as this film has dollops of heart and a very feel good atmosphere which sucks you right into it! And for a change, Pritam's songs stick to you even after the film is done. The kid Harshaali Malhotra melts you off with her performance. Must watch!

4/5

@SaiSrini - couldnot agree more with you. I am not Salman fan (last movie of his I really liked was Wanted), but this movie is a gem. Clean, feel-good family movie -something that has been sorely missing in Bollywood offlate. First half of so-so but the second half was full of heart. And IMO, you would have to be made of stone to not "Feel something" in the last 15-20 minutes of the movie.

Props to Kabir Khan - I think the dude has a lot of promise as a storyteller. And it was great to see him not get carried away by Salman-ism and insert stupid one-liners or raunchy item songs or shirt ripping action scenes. Also extracted good performances from Salman, the little girl (she was such a doll) and Nawazuddin

Did you catch the reference in Nawazuddin's entry scene ? "Karachi mein .... "

Has been a movie weekend for me. Watched "Tanu Weds Manu Returns". EXCELLENT! The second part was much better than the first part. I very vaguely remember the first part (Tanu Weds Manu) but the second part is fully characterized by some mind blowing acting by Kangana Ranaut. Her acting, especially her portrayal of Dhatto, was out of the friggin' stadium (in cricket parlance). Her act as Tanu was almost as good. Kangana deserves every bit of the superlative adulation that she is getting right now. The dialogues were super sharp and the film never lets itself drop almost at any point. Madhavan is slightly more sidelined here than in the first part, but he is a very solid actor who sinks into the character. Wish he had more meat in his role. The music was very good (love Banno, Ghan Bawri, O Sathi Mere and Mat Jaare; on my playlist for sometime now). Definitely a must watch entertainer.

4/5

@SaiSrini - couldnot agree more with you. I am not Salman fan (last movie of his I really liked was Wanted), but this movie is a gem. Clean, feel-good family movie -something that has been sorely missing in Bollywood offlate. First half of so-so but the second half was full of heart. And IMO, you would have to be made of stone to not "Feel something" in the last 15-20 minutes of the movie.

Props to Kabir Khan - I think the dude has a lot of promise as a storyteller. And it was great to see him not get carried away by Salman-ism and insert stupid one-liners or raunchy item songs or shirt ripping action scenes. Also extracted good performances from Salman, the little girl (she was such a doll) and Nawazuddin

Did you catch the reference in Nawazuddin's entry scene ? "Karachi mein .... "

The last Salman film I liked, was Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004). Now that tells you how much I have disliked him in recent times. I actually equally enjoyed the first half. I have watched the film twice now (went for a second time, which I do but very rarely for certain films). For me, the first half had the majority of the heart wrenching moments, especially from that little girl. When she cries, she makes you cry like a baby. I was actually feeling embarassed trying desperately to hide his emotions from my fellow audience who were sitting next to me watching the movie.

I disagree on the part where you say feel-good family movie has been sorely missing from Bollywood offlate. I actually think Bollywood has seen good family entertainers in recent times. E.g. Piku, Dil Dhadakne Do, Tanu Weds Manu Returns. All three (esp. the first two) classify as pretty solid feel-good family films.

Kabir Khan seems a solid storyteller. I really liked his New York. Didn't like Ek Tha Tiger much due to the kind of genre it focused on. But he has substance. And Salman has said that he is soon joining with Kabir Khan again for another emotional type film. Am now very excited about it.

P.s: What was that reference in Nawazuddin's entry scene? Didn't catch it.

Last edited:
Kabir Khan seems a solid storyteller. I really liked his New York. Didn't like Ek Tha Tiger much due to the kind of genre it focused on. But he has substance. And Salman has said that he is soon joining with Kabir Khan again for another emotional type film. Am now very excited about it.

You should try Kabul Express if you havent watched it yet. I think it was very well done.
P.s: What was that reference in Nawazuddin's entry scene? Didn't catch it.
Check this out :D

[DOUBLEPOST=1437360592][/DOUBLEPOST]
For me, the first half had the majority of the heart wrenching moments, especially from that little girl.
Interesting. I found myself getting a bit bored in the first half as it looked to be setting up to be a regular Salman movie. Second half moved faster and I was able to connect with it a lot more. Climax was fantastic :)

You should try Kabul Express if you havent watched it yet. I think it was very well done.

Check this out :D

[DOUBLEPOST=1437360592][/DOUBLEPOST]
Interesting. I found myself getting a bit bored in the first half as it looked to be setting up to be a regular Salman movie. Second half moved faster and I was able to connect with it a lot more. Climax was fantastic :)

Holy wow... That video cracked me up even more than the Nawazuddin scene in BB. Its sad that they ripped that entire scene into the film without even changing the names. Hope they got the permissions. :D

I need to check out Kabul Express. I remember seeing bits and pieces of it. Didn't know it was Kabir Khan.

check out erosnow. free registration and it actually has a lot of free movies.

Wow... Thanks a lot shravi! They have the likes of "Tanu Weds Manu Returns", "Badlapur", etc on the free movies list. This is awesome!

Anyone watched Drishyam. Critics were right, fantastic movie.
Just Wow !

Yep, Drishaym was great - loved it. Only issue I had was a ridiculously loud/dramatic background score

Piku: Funny, original, charming, and well acted by everyone. not a lot happens, but it's entertaining throughout. amitabh and irrfan were amazing too, particularly AB

NH10: standout performance by anushka. thrilling. glad bollywood is able to make such movies now. these have been around for ages in hollywood.

Yep, Drishaym was great - loved it. Only issue I had was a ridiculously loud/dramatic background score

If you are interested, watch its original Malayalam version or even the Tamil version. I have heard that the Hindi version is more heavily commercialized from its South counterparts and the Hindi version is getting brickbats from people who have watched either the Malayalam or the Tamil versions.

Both the Malayalam and Tamil versions are extraordinary (obviously Malayalam one will have all the positives due to it having the 'first mover advantage').

Badlapur: Decent, but overrated. Most of it was pretty boring, and predictable. Varun Dhawan acted well though, and I didn't know he could do that. The end was well-done as well.

Dil Dhadakne Do: Funny, charming, and well-acted. Even though it had a lot of characters, it was easy to follow. Corny ending, but it was appropriate.

Ugly: Must watch. So good. Everything about it.
can't sleep after watching the ending. nightmares

Dil Dhadakne Do: Funny, charming, and well-acted. Even though it had a lot of characters, it was easy to follow. Corny ending, but it was appropriate.

Ugly: Must watch. So good. Everything about it.
can't sleep after watching the ending. nightmares
The only problem with D3 was that it has alot of characters and due to which script doesn't seems well written[DOUBLEPOST=1441798715][/DOUBLEPOST]Any One Here Listen Abhijeet's Song

Users who are viewing this thread