How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
Yeah that's exactly the feeling I get - wickets merely come when the AI screws up, it almost feels like you're a spectator and if that's the case I might as well just simulate through it.

There just isn't enough to keep the bowling fresh - the way the AI plays is pretty chanceless with next to no edges (especially thick ones) and when they play & miss it's not like there was actually any danger...

Often the AI will play and miss when the ball is not going to hit the stumps, yet if its clearly going to hit, they will make perfect contact unless the AI glitches a bit. It doesn't really feel like you can manipulate the choices the AI makes or set them up for such. They see ball, they hit ball. They don't really seem to make the same kind of mistakes that you'd expect a batsman to make. I mean, OK, there are occasions where I bowl AI batters trying to cut on a straight full delivery, but that kind of shot selection mistake happens so infrequently that I genuinely believe it's the AI screwing up, rather than any real skill on my part.

I have been having a great time playing in career mode. I started off as a rookie and got my jump to amateur and then to pro. Finding the pro level challenging but improving a little bit with each match.

Then my helmet level jumped to four (blue) and I entered the nets to see the difficulty level was now veteran. I thought there were only two jumps in difficulty level? Has something changed, or is the highest difficulty in my career matches still pro but the nets just reflect my helmet level?

So this was just a glitch then?

Often the AI will play and miss when the ball is not going to hit the stumps, yet if its clearly going to hit, they will make perfect contact unless the AI glitches a bit. It doesn't really feel like you can manipulate the choices the AI makes or set them up for such. They see ball, they hit ball. They don't really seem to make the same kind of mistakes that you'd expect a batsman to make. I mean, OK, there are occasions where I bowl AI batters trying to cut on a straight full delivery, but that kind of shot selection mistake happens so infrequently that I genuinely believe it's the AI screwing up, rather than any real skill on my part.

I've had it a few times that I've set the AI up perfectly and either bowled them, or gotten them to chip one to a fielder (or my bowler). I don't seem to have an issue getting edges in career mode, but that's all in limited overs formats. There seems to be an absolute lack of edges and wicket chances in Tests, and some of the lower order batsmen will walk in and smack a ball that's on or just outside off through the covers for four.

I've had it a few times that I've set the AI up perfectly and either bowled them, or gotten them to chip one to a fielder (or my bowler). I don't seem to have an issue getting edges in career mode, but that's all in limited overs formats. There seems to be an absolute lack of edges and wicket chances in Tests, and some of the lower order batsmen will walk in and smack a ball that's on or just outside off through the covers for four.

I think that's the problem to be honest. AI batsmen are just too consistent right down the order.

Now and again I've bowled 4-5 stock balls in an over and got the wicket with a change of approach/pace/line/length, but it kind of just feels like coincidence rather than me 'setting them up'.

I've bowled six slower deliveries in an over, six short balls in an over, six yorkers in an over and it doesn't seem that the AI takes into account any of the previous deliveries in it's shot selection so whether it's even possible to 'set them up' is doubtful in my mind.

There are a lot of play and misses by the AI batsmen regardless of difficulty setting. Doesn't feel like the type of delivery influences this.

Now and again I've bowled 4-5 stock balls in an over and got the wicket with a change of approach/pace/line/length, but it kind of just feels like coincidence rather than me 'setting them up'.

I've bowled six slower deliveries in an over, six short balls in an over, six yorkers in an over and it doesn't seem that the AI takes into account any of the previous deliveries in it's shot selection so whether it's even possible to 'set them up' is doubtful in my mind.
This.

Anyone thinking they've set them up is indulging in narrative fallacy.

You can pre-empt in the sense of my example of putting fielders in an area and bowling to encourage hitting in that area, but setting up in the sense of bowling x- number of a certain delivery then throwing down something different doesn't seem to exist

This.

You can pre-empt in the sense of my example of putting fielders in an area and bowling to encourage hitting in that area, but setting up in the sense of bowling x- number of a certain delivery then throwing down something different doesn't seem to exist

It's a difficult one to gauge and I suppose it's only really something Ross could tell us. I seem to recall from many moons ago Ross alluding to the fact that the cumulative effect of previous deliveries had an effect rather than the ball by ball methods of previous games but I am seriously sleep deprived so I would take 99% of what I say with a pinch of salt.

Well i just started my Career mode as a wrist spin bowling allrounder... With my domestic team of Pakistan... Names Tipu Mughal... Herez my debut

Untitled2.png I think i did ok :yes

Last edited:
This.

Really??? Thats not been my experience at all, i try to set up batsman alot, and i regularly get wickets with my variations (Im a leggie)... Just above, 3 of those 7 wickets definately came from setting up the batsmen... I bowled 4 drift/leggiez and then a couple of top spinners did the job... Also i've found that not only variations in types of deliveries but variations in line and length also set up batsman... Change the length after 4 or 5 deliveries and u might get a wicket...

Really??? Thats not been my experience at all, i try to set up batsman alot, and i regularly get wickets with my variations (Im a leggie)... Just above, 3 of those 7 wickets definately came from setting up the batsmen... I bowled 4 drift/leggiez and then a couple of top spinners did the job... Also i've found that not only variations in types of deliveries but variations in line and length also set up batsman... Change the length after 4 or 5 deliveries and u might get a wicket...

narrative fallacy.

it just doesn't happen.

I would upload a video too but

3655119833.png

D- :(:(:(:facepalm

Well i just started my Career mode as a wrist spin bowling allrounder... With my domestic team of Pakistan... Names Tipu Mughal... Herez my debut

View attachment 128341 I think i did ok :yes

That's pretty beast! In my experience, 5 wickets per innings or 10 per match can happen rather a lot with wrist spinners. Definitely the easiest bowlers I've played in my experience! :D That said, it can seem as though you're setting the batsmen up if you are using variations, but the manner in which you take those wickets doesn't quite seem to back that up.

Nevertheless, top job! :thumbs

narrative fallacy.

I've not bowled much so far but I have mainly felt I'm just waiting for the computer to decide to get out. You can fill in the blanks with a bit of imagination but I haven't experienced anything like the real life process of looking at a guy's technique and probing for vulnerability, sensing weakness or whatever.

I have a feeling BA probably have programmed some sort of recognition of delivery patterns but I don't think anything really convincing is going to be possible without huge dev resources. The requirement for really detailed visual/contextual feedback about batting footwork or strengths in certain areas or a crapload of other factors that you interact with directly when you're a front line bowler in proper cricket is just too much of an obstacle. A video game version that is more than a crude pastiche of the process just doesn't seem practical at present.

Users who are viewing this thread