How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
Also just confirming - we're only getting one level of club cricket right? ie.

Test
1 day
State (say QLD)
Club (Wests, Easts, etc)

Do we have any details on club cricket? ie:
- is this a 1 day or 2 day or 4 day version?
- do we have 20/20 as well?
- is this a league or knock out format?
- do you win an actual trophy at the end?
- do you have access to other club stats? eg. if I'm playing Qld Div 1 club cricket, can I see who is the leading run scorer for say NSW club cricket or Vic?
- are there options for a 2nd or 3rd tier system?
- can we transfer between divisions eg. move from Qld to Vic club cricket?
- I'm trying to liken this to say the Championship and/or 1/2/3rd division for the EPL so you know there's always a promotion/relegation at the end of the season

Its not that I want to play 100% of my career in club cricket (noone does probably), but if I'm a lower order batsman who bowls...I may not get a chance to represent my state for 3-4 seasons esp if I'm playing at harder skill levels.

Bump...anyone got any info on this?

Looking at MattW from the play session, there is no club cricket. You start at state/county level.

What??? I could've sworn there was talk of club cricket. You can't start a career as a 16 year old playing at state level - its impossible. I assumed the play session wasn't on the full game and therefore didn't have the whole career thing set up. Say it isn't so :(

There's a 'career team lists' option in the menus that I didn't get the chance to look in, which has some degree of customisation, whether that could make it possible to implement a club level - or just for adding extra countries I'm not sure; but out of the box it starts at state/county level.

Considering this is the first career mode with a cricket game I'm okay with that, but it's the obvious expansion into the future.

If there is no club cricket it's very odd that you start at 16 and end at 36. Almost no player start playing state level at 16, whilst a lot play beyond 36.

If there is no club cricket it's very odd that you start at 16 and end at 36. Almost no player start playing state level at 16, whilst a lot play beyond 36.

I think its just about getting it playing right for the first version, hopefully in future you could start at 14 playing club cricket and possibly get selected for county 2nds by 15/16 then depending how good you are you're either playing county for a few years before moving up, it would be great in future versions you could, if good enough, play test cricket at 17, there's so many different permutations that could be implemented in the future, and a 20 yr career seems fair enough! I agree some play on until they're 40 but not many players retire from test cricket at say 34 then go back to county cricket. I mentioned months ago about maybe including minor counties or u19s at county/international level, maybe that's something that can come along in the future.

Last edited:
There's a 'career team lists' option in the menus that I didn't get the chance to look in, which has some degree of customisation, whether that could make it possible to implement a club level - or just for adding extra countries I'm not sure; but out of the box it starts at state/county level.

Considering this is the first career mode with a cricket game I'm okay with that, but it's the obvious expansion into the future.

Hopefully BA can incorporate some sort of league structure into the career mode. I'm intending to purchase DB14 purely for this mode and was hoping this would be implemented.

TBH, its not a deal breaker - I'm happy to 'wallow' in the midst of state cricket for a while trying to jostle for position in the eyes of the selectors. It would be great in the future (DB15 perhaps??) for this mode to be extended. I don't know about everyone else but its the challenge that keeps me playing a game - if I started at 16 and by 17 was the No 3 in Aust's test team scoring a century every other match...I wouldn't touch the game again. Its got to be hard so that you EARN your place. Look at the likes of Hussey, Boof, North, Marsh, etc most of these guys didn't get a lookin until they were close to 30 or something with 000's of shield cricket runs under their belt before selection.

There's cases of 16yr olds playing 1 XI county cricket but its rare, same as there's very few players playing tests at 36, but it happens irl so it should be possible to have all thee things in the game, or in the future, but I think the way to look at it is, your career starts as a bit of a wonder kid that has got his chance at county level at a young age. It's a good balance, and when we get the game, we'll be able to suggest different ways the career could be improved in the sequels. I'm stoked about DB14, can't wait to get it!

There's cases of 16yr olds playing 1 XI county cricket but its rare, same as there's very few players playing tests at 36, but it happens irl so it should be possible to have all thee things in the game, or in the future, but I think the way to look at it is, your career starts as a bit of a wonder kid that has got his chance at county level at a young age. It's a good balance, and when we get the game, we'll be able to suggest different ways the career could be improved in the sequels. I'm stoked about DB14, can't wait to get it!

+1. Thats a good way of putting it....ie. you're a wonderkid....but are you a mini-Tendulka...or a mini-Shane Watson (so much potential...but never live up to it).

Also, talking about Shane Watson, does the career mode model injuries?

The other thing to consider is that they are making a game for the masses. We may see the appeal of playing very low grade cricket in the early years of our career before getting a shot up higher and playing in what most people pay to watch, but for your average purchaser, they want to be playing along side their stars from the outset.

Kinda why the likes of Madden have their 'be a pro's' start from when they get into the pros and leave the college players to NCAA games.

Australia in recent times has had Ponting, Hussey, Haddin, Rogers, whilst I can't think of a single Australian cricketer getting a state game at 16.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's just a 20 year career in the end and the start and end ages don't mean too much.

The other thing to consider is that they are making a game for the masses. We may see the appeal of playing very low grade cricket in the early years of our career before getting a shot up higher and playing in what most people pay to watch, but for your average purchaser, they want to be playing along side their stars from the outset.

Kinda why the likes of Madden have their 'be a pro's' start from when they get into the pros and leave the college players to NCAA games.

yeah fair enough. I have to constantly remind myself that this is DB14 ie. version 1 not version 10, and am absolutely stoked that we have a 'Be A Pro' mode in the first place. Its one of those 'give a mouse a cookie...he's gonna want a glass of milk' type scenarios! he he.

I think given the large squad sizes it would be the easier option to start in 2nd xi state or county in future versions rather than model village or club cricket. That would be a reasonably good compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread