How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
Chief, how would you rate this game? and how does it fare compare to older counterparts?

I had two big problems with the game.

One was the bugs at launch: run-outs in particular which, for me, just caused SO much frustration. Having spent a couple of hours with the 2nd patch tonight, I think a most of this has gone.

The big problem that remains is that the game doesn't help you at all. It relies on a huge amount of learning from the manual/tutorials, and there is pretty much NO feedback as to what you are doing right and wrong. Firth's law: page one. Firth?s First Law of Games Design | AppyNation

For a first effort, this is stunning work. I know they've had a lot more time than other teams in the past, but they've used it incredibly well. I think that technically it's very accomplished. I hate the music and commentary, but the FX are brilliant. The animations are largely great and only let down by the occasional breakage (BUT only limited to the areas I would expect to see tricksy things). The art is great (could use a little more depth of field in order to smooth some of the flickering edges in the backgrounds: it all feels a *little* noisy). The featureset is superb. I'd like some more depth in the career mode (at the moment you are judged on personal performance, runs, catches and wickets. I'd like to see mini challenges that are given by the captain depending on the situation when I come in: my goal could just to be to defend it out, or score quick runs irrespective of losing my wicket: tell me what I should be risking and judge me based on that in an analogue way. Maybe I got out earlier than hoped, but I was doing the right thing: defending it out. Or I scored quick runs and went, but the game was gone anyway so I did my best, and should be judged accordingly.)

In the end, for me, it's only major let-down is its inaccessibility. Everything else is in place, and I would expect that by the next iteration a lot of those minor things with polish and balancing will be ironed out. If Big Ant can improve the user feedback and make me feel more skilful for learning to do the right cricketing things, as opposed to learning the places I can score every time in, the next one could be very special indeed.

Hard to judge against past games, but I'm very impressed with it (and I don't say that very often).

EDIT: oh, one bugbear and TINY thing. Confidence always (as far as I have seen) starts at 0 and rises. It should start at, say, 20%/30% (50% even) and either build or fall depending on performance. Also should start higher for 1 day games/T20 where you are expected to come out firing.

Last edited:
Probably another thing, tacking on to what Chief said, is that different batsmen should have different starting levels of confidence that is related to their personality. Someone like Warner, for instance, would always start with higher confidence than say Rodgers, while bowlers would always have lower levels of confidence than all-rounders and openers.

You could make it part of a trait, the same way you can make your player be an aggressive or precise batter.

i had the worst bowling figures in one day since i started my career, getting hit for 4s most of the time

i had the worst bowling figures in one day since i started my career, getting hit for 4s most of the time
I know the feeling.
I smashed 160 of 73.
Then went for 73 in 6 overs with 1 wicket.

Probably another thing, tacking on to what Chief said, is that different batsmen should have different starting levels of confidence that is related to their personality. Someone like Warner, for instance, would always start with higher confidence than say Rodgers, while bowlers would always have lower levels of confidence than all-rounders and openers.

You could make it part of a trait, the same way you can make your player be an aggressive or precise batter.

Disagree. Confidence should not b equated with aggression. Just because Warner comes out firing from the start doesn't mean his confidence should be higher than say Chanderpaul.

IMO confidence should be based on the format, state of the game and form (prior performances). E.g., at the start of a Test the openers should have 0 confidence but if a no. 3 or no. 4 batsman is coming in at say 200/1 or 300/2 their confidence should be a bit high. Same in odis where batsman coming in at 150/1 or coming in the last 10 overs when he has to slog the ball around should have confidence bar half full. In T20s all batsmen should start with confidence bar half full and in the last few overs, batsmen coming in should have the bar 75%-80% full.

I feel that Legend difficulty batting in career mode has been made even hard as their foot movement seems to differ from the way they played before the match.. @Ross Have they also been tweaked??

I feel that Legend difficulty batting in career mode has been made even hard as their foot movement seems to differ from the way they played before the match.. @Ross Have they also been tweaked??

Pull/Hook and cut shots being played in air is the biggest difference I saw. Rest everything seemed to be fine but coz of those changes, it's much harder to bat as you can't play towards the leg side when "Square Leg" or "Forward Square Leg" is in place, which is the case most of the times. I've had to reinvent my batting apprach and the results haven't been pretty :(

Pull/Hook and cut shots being played in air is the biggest difference I saw. Rest everything seemed to be fine but coz of those changes, it's much harder to bat as you can't play towards the leg side when "Square Leg" or "Forward Square Leg" is in place, which is the case most of the times. I've had to reinvent my batting apprach and the results haven't been pretty :(

For me playing cover drive was really hard even when I placed my foot correctly...Haven't played the hook or pull yet as got out early in career yesterday...I think will post again after playing tomorrow..Hope the results are better...

One thing I have noticed, I'm not sure if it's with me being starting out as a 16 year old but, coming into bat in the first innings if we choose to bat, I'm struggling to find my feet however if we are miles behind in the first innings or second I'm finding myself scoring freely because I'm convinced we haven't got the pressure to perform and they'll want us out fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Disagree. Confidence should not b equated with aggression. Just because Warner comes out firing from the start doesn't mean his confidence should be higher than say Chanderpaul.

IMO confidence should be based on the format, state of the game and form (prior performances). E.g., at the start of a Test the openers should have 0 confidence but if a no. 3 or no. 4 batsman is coming in at say 200/1 or 300/2 their confidence should be a bit high. Same in odis where batsman coming in at 150/1 or coming in the last 10 overs when he has to slog the ball around should have confidence bar half full. In T20s all batsmen should start with confidence bar half full and in the last few overs, batsmen coming in should have the bar 75%-80% full.

For me it's important to separate out different mental skills. "Eye" is what you build up: some build it quicker and get in very fast, others take longer. Confidence is affected by the match situation and events, again something which affect some more than others (sledging comes in here as well, as well as reacting to the type of bowling: some are rattled by vicious bowling, others rise to it).

Just scored my very first first class 50, was still going strong on 60 not out, when all of a sudden my Xbox froze, i had to turn it off, came back on and that 50 i got now doesn't exist, man that's annoying, lets hope i can get another!

For me it's important to separate out different mental skills. "Eye" is what you build up: some build it quicker and get in very fast, others take longer. Confidence is affected by the match situation and events, again something which affect some more than others (sledging comes in here as well, as well as reacting to the type of bowling: some are rattled by vicious bowling, others rise to it).

When I say "confidence", it's a combination of "eye" which improves the longer you bat and the match situation. Coming in at 200/1 should be easier compared to coming in at 10/2. I would rather have a single meter/attribute to keep track of than having separate meters for 'eye', 'confidence' etc.

I think it should not be some meter,but something more closer to gameplay, as in players in form and more skilled should judge the ball early as well as more correctly, were as batsman in the rut of his life walking in after batting collapse early in the game should have difficulty to both judge early as well as correctly.
Having hud assists appear early or late etc depending on batsman.This wil also let you play as each batsman and have a difference in judging between a ponting and wridiman saha, not only that but also how the same batsman varies in different conditions and form, for ex a cook facing mitch should have difficulty in picking the ball were as against ishant sharma he should be able to judge him better.
Same with conditions, like dhoni able to cart steyn in SC whereas in SA, he will struggle to judge the ball swing of the same steyn.So until dhoni gets his eye in the hudassist should be slightly deceitful on the swing part.

Last edited:
Playing 4 day match against SA Redbacks as NSW. Got SA down to 9/272, hit simulate to player.

AI puts on 199 for the 10th wicket and ends up with 471. HNGGGGGGGGG :(

21 years old now with 6 50's and 1 FC 100, averaging 12.

My last season was a breakthrough in the T20 format scoring my first 50, but that was the only 50 I got all season as my FC and List A form plummeted.

Users who are viewing this thread