How are you doing in your school?

Do you like your school

• Total voters

P Squared

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Chemistry is always easy. People think its difficult due to the fact that they rote a lot which is not required !

It is required actually. To a certain extent you have to memorise reactions and properties of compounds to better understand their applications. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
The properties aren't too bad. They all make sense and it's not necessary to memorise if you understand it well (e.g. electronegativity, Fluorine is the most electronegative, hence that means that electronegativity increases up the group and increases across the period).

P Squared

International Coach
I dont mean the easy periodic properties lol, its stuff like thermal stability etc which have absolutely no logic(or atleast I havent found it yet)
like how the stability of p-block hydrides decreases down the group, the reason given usually is because of decreasing bond dissociation energy, and while I can understand from that why their stability would decrease, I have never found a reason for why their BDE decreases.

----------

Also I meant properties of compounds not elements.(like why NaOH is deliquescent, no-one I've ever asked has been able to explain that one)

Last edited:

Dipak

ICC Board Member
like how the stability of p-block hydrides decreases down the group, the reason given usually is because of decreasing bond dissociation energy, and while I can understand from that why their stability would decrease, I have never found a reason for why their BDE decreases.
There is a logic for everything even in Inorganic Chemistry. It's just above our understanding. That what I think.

Anyways orbitals need to be almost of the same shape for effective bonding, so that's the reason for the stability order.

P Squared

International Coach
orbitals need to be almost of the same shape for effective bonding

And see therein lies the whole problem, for every reason there is an explanation which requires another reason.:p(As in I have heard of that reason as well but it has never been very clear to me why it would increase stability). Plus there are so many exceptions that it almost feels like they twist the rules just to suit the properties they discover experimentally( which they probably do anyway). [superoxide of Cesium is very stable, in fact it is the most stable superoxide, but nowhere near comparable size, they use something else to explain it there]

----------

haha wrong there mate.

----------

you always arrange signatures for me.thanks.

Then stop acting like a 12 year old jeez

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I dont mean the easy periodic properties lol, its stuff like thermal stability etc which have absolutely no logic(or atleast I havent found it yet)

----------

Also I meant properties of compounds not elements.(like why NaOH is deliquescent, no-one I've ever asked has been able to explain that one)

If you're asking what I think you are, it should be pretty straightforward regarding the BDEs. I remember I had a question on something like that in my last high school Chemistry exam:lol. It's to do with how the bond length and number of electron shells increases. It decreases the attraction for the shared pair and makes the orbital overlap less effective. Pretty much just shielding if you've done that.

On the second part, I'm not sure either to be honest, it was never something I was taught at school and the only chemistry I've done since then has really been organic.

At a guess, I'd think it has something to do with the polarity of the compound and what makes it deliquescent is it's arrangement in space (lol what an organic term) and that is what makes it's affinity for water so great. Pretty awful explanation.

Yep, because any Biologist knows it's Homo sapiens and not HOMO SAPIENS or Homo Sapiens:p. Nomenclature is one of the easiest parts of Biology anyway.

----------

And see therein lies the whole problem, for every reason there is an explanation which requires another reason.:p(As in I have heard of that reason as well but it has never been very clear to me why it would increase stability). Plus there are so many exceptions that it almost feels like they twist the rules just to suit the properties they discover experimentally( which they probably do anyway). [superoxide of Cesium is very stable, in fact it is the most stable superoxide, but nowhere near comparable size, they use something else to explain it there]

----------

Then stop acting like a 12 year old jeez

Something I tell myself when learning anything science-related: "It makes sense because it doesn't make sense."

Last edited:

P Squared

International Coach
At a guess, I'd think it has something to do with the polarity of the compound and what makes it deliquescent is it's arrangement in space (lol what an organic term) and that is what makes it's affinity for water so great. Pretty awful explanation.

Everyone gives a different explanation for that.:p Nobody knows.

It's to do with how the bond length and number of electron shells increases. It decreases the attraction for the shared pair and makes the orbital overlap less effective. Pretty much just shielding if you've done that.

Far as I remember, bondlength is something explained on the basis of BDE. Goes round in circles that, one is used as a reason for the other.

And my problem with most reasons is that they're not always true, that is my problem with the whole of inorganic chemistry, reasons just to suit the experimentally obtained results.

And thermal stability=no logic, increases for some, decreases for some, different reasons for everything, the fish.

Basic point which I was trying to make in my original post, and I think most of you will agree on this, there are certain things which you have to memorise in Chemistry, and there is nothing wrong with it(unlike what most people think).

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Everyone gives a different explanation for that.:p Nobody knows.

I think that's a fact:p. What's your hunch?

Far as I remember, bondlength is something explained on the basis of BDE. Goes round in circles that, one is used as a reason for the other.

And my problem with most reasons is that they're not always true, that is my problem with the whole of inorganic chemistry, reasons just to suit the experimentally obtained results.

And thermal stability=no logic, increases for some, decreases for some, different reasons for everything, the fish.

Basic point which I was trying to make in my original post, and I think most of you will agree on this, there are certain things which you have to memorise in Chemistry, and there is nothing wrong with it(unlike what most people think).

Yeah I tend to agree. I enjoyed inorganic chemistry as it came to me so naturally (and hence was easy as hell), but it's a good thing it's pretty useless and that only some of the concepts are very relevant to organic.

I agree. Chemistry has memorising, but it's not on the same level as Biology. Memorising the definition, function and derivative for every goddamn organ in the fetus for Embryology did my head in, and that was barely one tenth of the course:facepalm.

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Finally the periodic table chapter is finished! now starts the easy Chemistry, the new chapter is about particles. Liquid, Gasses and Salts. The teacher, before starting the chapter, asked us to differentiate between them. I was the only one with his hand raised with proud. Biology's teacher sill hasn't taught us anything yet. :facepalm

SWITCHHIT

Club Cricketer
The most embarassing moment ever for me was when our bio teacher asked a question to me in a classroom packed with boys and girls.And the question was "What are the changes seen in girls at the age of puberty" and i was just clean bowled by him.Couldn't utter a single word.I am a shy guy but my younger brother is just opposite to me.He makes new gf's almost every year.

Users who are viewing this thread