How are you doing in your school?

Do you like your school

• Total voters

P Squared

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yep it is

----------

And I definitely don't think they have studied a lot about it either, since you defo need to know about mutual induction to understand the application of a transistor as an oscillator amplifier. Not too sure about its application as a switch though, that would be easy to understand in a lower class.

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Yep it is

----------

And I definitely don't think they have studied a lot about it either, since you defo need to know about mutual induction to understand the application of a transistor as an oscillator amplifier. Not too sure about its application as a switch though, that would be easy to understand in a lower class.

At that level you learn simple calculations involving potential difference and current, and things such as switches are usually involved. You need to be able to identify a wide range of circuit components, but you don't need to know what they do.

What is mutual induction? I've done transistors but don't remember this term (maybe we used a different word)?

I never understood these things fully though. In CIE we had to do a brutally difficult topic on operational amplifiers which was really difficult since the teachers didn't have a clue about it either.

P Squared

International Coach
What is mutual induction? I've done transistors but don't remember this term (maybe we used a different word)?

Mutual induction is basically when a varying current flows in one coil it induces a current in another coil due to the changing magnetic flux through both of them(because of the varying current). Basically a form of electromagnetic induction.

It's the basic principle behind an oscillating transistor amplifier, which is why its knowledge is necessary.

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've just studied their uses and all the basics.

RPHKR

National Board President
@P Squared - I think self-induction is applied in transistor oscillators not mutual induction. A LC tuned circuit is used where the coil undergoes self induction

----------

I've just studied their uses and all the basics.

Yeah okay, I studied them in the schematic diagram in 9th grade but you study about it deeply in Higher Secondary Education.

----------

Psst geeks, I have a doubt in the flow of alternating current, anyone here who know about it?

P Squared

International Coach
@P Squared - I think self-induction is applied in transistor oscillators not mutual induction. A LC tuned circuit is used where the coil undergoes self induction

I'm quite sure it was mutual induction, I distinctly remember there being 2 different coils in the circuit diagram, one induced current in the other

----------

LC Oscillator Tutorial and Tuned LC Oscillator Basics

Yep it states there that it is mutual induction

P Squared

International Coach
A basic LC oscillator has only one coil and it works on self induction.

I'm talking about the one with the feedback circuit, tuned LC oscillator, as that was the only one in our course.

RPHKR

National Board President
I'm talking about the one with the feedback circuit, tuned LC oscillator, as that was the only one in our course.

Alright I get it. You could have studied the bipolar LC oscillator in your course.
BTW every transistor LC oscillator has a feedback circuit.

I am studying Colpitts oscillator, a basic one which includes a transistor, the feedback includes a single inductor and two capacitors.

Last edited:

P Squared

International Coach
Well yeah thats different to the one I studied, mine was in the earlier link I posted.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Let me share with you a bit of Rousseau: because it always will be a good quote. "Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains".

ps: study politics, its very interesting and genuinely the most important thing you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread