How are you going in Ashes Cricket 2009?

Like I said if people want to (and are able to) read it they will.

I finished my test with England attempting to prove that spinners can be effective...
10w haul for Swann with 6 for Harmison (like the Oval is going to be ;)).
Runrates weren't totally ridiculous either. Around the 6/7 mark.

Fair comment barmy army.

Just viewed your scorecard also, not the most exciting game eh but you know that does happen on this game.
Did you always bowl in light green area and have mainly offside packed with most men?

It was a 6/3 offside field with two on the point and cover boundary. I bowled a lot of no balls trying to bowl in the yellow. Key to the spinners wickets was changing the delivery as it was bowled.
Only exciting to me as I can't get wickets with the spinners normally and I go at 20 rpo. Nice to bowl them out cheaply twice on hard.

Ok, leave the moderating to the moderators please.
If you really can't read someone's post they'll get the hint when no-one replies to it.

Fair enough. I seriously get a headache trying to read them, so I won't bother in future. I don't usually like to skip over posts though, because so many on this forum are worth reading, but I can't read a post with no punctuation.

Fair enough. I seriously get a headache trying to read them, so I won't bother in future. I don't usually like to skip over posts though, because so many on this forum are worth reading, but I can't read a post with no punctuation.

Jesus what is with you christ almighty for some strange reason you seem to be obsessed with getting the last word in like a little child. i have said many a times i rush my writing as i mainly only come on evening times now could you please give me a rest you either read it or you dont i really couldnt care less. i just leave it out there for people who are not fussed and just want a good old chat about cricket now drop it. i understand i may have been giving you a headache fair enough but if im honest im the one getting the headache now with you babbling on about something thats not relevant as it has nothing to do with cricket :laugh:laugh:rtfl

jamershepp added 3 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Im sorry to sound harsh mate and i do enjoy reading your posts if im completely honest but could you please give me a rest and just feel free to skip with out having to make a bigger and un needed deal about it in the future. And just for you i will try my best to add punctuation in places when i remember no need for the other comment in retail impressions thread lol

jamershepp added 2 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Just thought i would mention that im having alot of fun on this game at the moment and have sussed bowling and batting now, but of course the patch is still needed.
And im having very realistic matches.

Im sorry to sound harsh mate and i do enjoy reading your posts if im completely honest but could you please give me a rest and just feel free to skip with out having to make a bigger and un needed deal about it in the future. And just for you i will try my best to add punctuation in places when i remember no need for the other comment in retail impressions thread lol

I'm in the same boat as MasterBlaster76, and seeing as we've been here a bit longer than you we kinda know these things :)

I have read your posts, as some have good comments, but they are very difficult to read as it feels like you have to rush through them due to the lack of punctuation. I'm not having a go, its nothing to me if you continue to post the way you do, i'll just in the end never read your posts.

One thing though, if you use decent punctuation here, its good practise for everywhere else. Just a thought.

In no way was this trying to step on the mods toes :) Just giving a bit of advice.

Anyways, this is the "hows it going," thread, so I'll just give a quick update.

I've given up on the one player Ashes for the minute, not being able to grasp bowling properly, I feel its something which is more of an irritation than enjoyment to lose the Ashes! I've started a 2-player with a friend, and I won the first test at Cardiff by 10 wickets, thanks to some superb bowling from Swann, he got 9 in the match, 6 in the first innings!

I've been playing the ODi tournament, and currently have a save in the final Vs. India. I'm a silly amount of runs up in the 45th over, with my created player Simon Barrow ;) hitting a double ton. Quite like the batting, its the bowling which I haven't quite mastered yet!!

I play every game on hard btw.

I'm in the same boat as MasterBlaster76, and seeing as we've been here a bit longer than you we kinda know these things :)

I have read your posts, as some have good comments, but they are very difficult to read as it feels like you have to rush through them due to the lack of punctuation. I'm not having a go, its nothing to me if you continue to post the way you do, i'll just in the end never read your posts.

One thing though, if you use decent punctuation here, its good practise for everywhere else. Just a thought.

In no way was this trying to step on the mods toes :) Just giving a bit of advice.

Anyways, this is the "hows it going," thread, so I'll just give a quick update.

I've given up on the one player Ashes for the minute, not being able to grasp bowling properly, I feel its something which is more of an irritation than enjoyment to lose the Ashes! I've started a 2-player with a friend, and I won the first test at Cardiff by 10 wickets, thanks to some superb bowling from Swann, he got 9 in the match, 6 in the first innings!

I've been playing the ODi tournament, and currently have a save in the final Vs. India. I'm a silly amount of runs up in the 45th over, with my created player Simon Barrow ;) hitting a double ton. Quite like the batting, its the bowling which I haven't quite mastered yet!!

I play every game on hard btw.

I am very gratefull of the advise and in future i will try my best to add the punctuation when remembered.
And i also respect the way you went about telling me this unlike some (masterblaster) but life goes on eh?

I Think you need to keep playing the ai more also and start to grasp the bowling as that is the only thing keeping me going on ashes. Personally i have grasped the bowling and batting on this game, so have very enjoybale matches, cutting out some of the stupid glitches of course, but still the fun is there for me especially after my test matches are concluded there is a realistic score at the end of the tunnel which is very pleasing for me indeed.
I cant stand playing online just find it boring and lets be honest, when im playing a test match it just fells like a 20 20 to me and theres lag and theres yorkers which are mad for some odd reason.
But i havent played any of my mates yet on the same console that could also be enjoyable.

And what you mean by not grasping the bowling yet? what issues are you facing?.

I am very gratefull of the advise and in future i will try my best to add the punctuation when remembered.
And i also respect the way you went about telling me this unlike some (masterblaster) but life goes on eh?

I Think you need to keep playing the ai more also and start to grasp the bowling as that is the only thing keeping me going on ashes. Personally i have grasped the bowling and batting on this game, so have very enjoybale matches, cutting out some of the stupid glitches of course, but still the fun is there for me especially after my test matches are concluded there is a realistic score at the end of the tunnel which is very pleasing for me indeed.
I cant stand playing online just find it boring and lets be honest, when im playing a test match it just fells like a 20 20 to me and theres lag and theres yorkers which are mad for some odd reason.
But i havent played any of my mates yet on the same console that could also be enjoyable.

And what you mean by not grasping the bowling yet? what issues are you facing?.

Going at anything under 7rpo is just a mystery to me :laugh

I am doing well, especially with bowling, though I am stickimg clear of spinners as I need to really study the tutorials with those guys. Batting is improving but still need patience. I find it difficult to judge the right ball to hit and give away too many chances. The great thing about this game, for me at least is that I am not very good at it and need to time things really well. That means every game is play is a challenge rather than a chore and I dont have the abaility yet to exploit some of the obvious bugs or onesidednesses in the game. What I love about bowling is that i can set a field and rally bowly to it, chop and change, think things through and wickets come. I love that, that is what it is about for me.

i just love the gameplay. Codemasters have done a fantastic job. EA have a lot of catching up to do. I love the batting gameplay, played an innings of Ashes in normal mode. Scored 540/all out with Australia. M.North-250 and S.Watson-125.
I simulate the bowling, don't have ebough patience although i've completed all of the bowling challenges.

Overall i love the game and once the patches start rolling in, this game is just going to get better!!

Going at anything under 7rpo is just a mystery to me :laugh

Just keep good length in the light green areas that does the trick for me.
I have many maidens and im able to slow there run rate up massively by forcing them to play defensively and eventually this brings me a wicket or possibly wickets

jamershepp added 8 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

:D
I am doing well, especially with bowling, though I am stickimg clear of spinners as I need to really study the tutorials with those guys. Batting is improving but still need patience. I find it difficult to judge the right ball to hit and give away too many chances. The great thing about this game, for me at least is that I am not very good at it and need to time things really well. That means every game is play is a challenge rather than a chore and I dont have the abaility yet to exploit some of the obvious bugs or onesidednesses in the game. What I love about bowling is that i can set a field and rally bowly to it, chop and change, think things through and wickets come. I love that, that is what it is about for me.

Hey mate just thought i would give some advise on the spin bowling as you seem to be having problems by the sound of it.
When i first began to bowl with the spinners i had serious issues, mainly due to the big shots being played off the likes of graeme swann ect.
But i began to bowl more full in the lightest green areas at full and this brought me a bit of success but only half the job was done.
I then concentrated on my custom field this is when i had the major break through.
By placing most men on offside and few on the leg side, 1 close 1 at boundary, as a shot hear rarely occurs and when it does is covered pretty easy, the odd boundary of course tho, but thats life.

Occaionly they still hit the shots really hard toward the offside but i have so many fielders there it normally always goes straight to a man in the park to my pleasing.:D

Also on certain pitches its worth pitching the spin bowlers delivery wide and full as sometimes there really is a lot more turn and they dont defend it correctly and it sometimes slips through the gates and looks very good indeed.

Last edited:
I find that there are plenty more yellow and light green areas for a spinners arm or top spin ball. There is a big patch on a straight good length where these work well for me.

@ jamershepp and sussex

Thanks for the tips guys, I will be off to the nets to give them a go.:) I really haven't touched the spinners because of the way they get smashed out of the park, even in online games although I have seen people use spinners online and bowl beautifully with them, restricting run rates and creating chances. I have also done a fair bit of smashing myself against spinners online.

@ jamershepp and sussex

Thanks for the tips guys, I will be off to the nets to give them a go.:) I really haven't touched the spinners because of the way they get smashed out of the park, even in online games although I have seen people use spinners online and bowl beautifully with them, restricting run rates and creating chances. I have also done a fair bit of smashing myself against spinners online.

Just remember that fair enough i have gave you some tips on how to bowl with the spinners, but this doesent mean they wont hit big off you, cause they always will at certain points of the game thats just life.

They certainly wont hit big off you know where near as much, no sixes i would predict, few fours of course tho.

But of course i advise you to stick with the fast bowlers untill you are really having trouble picking up some wickets, then its time for the spin attack.

Users who are viewing this thread