How are you going in Ashes Cricket 2009?

Here's one for you. End of day 3 - England need another 288 runs to win the match.
I batted poorly against the spinners again - Swann took 2 wickets but was only given 3 overs all innings! Hughes got his double ton before edging to slip. Most my wicket were caught first or second slip.
Bowling and not a sniff of a chance so far. 333 seems like a pretty small target when the computer makes batting look so easy but then again they're England so a collapse is always on the cards.

I would think that you woud go on to win that but you never know. Great test match tho your now on day 4!!

I'd like to think so but not a chance in those 18 overs I just bowled. Hope Hauritz can cause some problems on day 4 at least.

I'd like to think so but not a chance in those 18 overs I just bowled. Hope Hauritz can cause some problems on day 4 at least.

O crap ye your aussies innit for a second i thought you were batting so was pretty confident you woud go on to win but not to sure now to be honest the games more in the ai hands i would say.

Yeah, I had a big second innings to get me back into the match but don't know if it was big enough.
I don't like being Aus but I've already won the Ashes 5-0 as England (albeit on the unpatched version).

It deffinately should be a good finale to the match. Could go either way really.

Latest update from day 2 at Lords:

87th over and there's the 350 up for Australia.

88th over and there's an appeal for LBW - the Umpire takes an eternity, but up goes the finger! Haddin gone LBW to Flintoff for 88. A timely breakthrough for England, now the tail is exposed, but the lead is already massive.

lbwhaddin.png

hawkeyehittinghaddin.png

Same over and Johnson goes for a run that was never there and he's out by miles.

At drinks:

afternoondrinks1.png

90th over and Hauritz goes for an agricultural looking hoik on the legside off Anderson, which he misses

and the ball just goes past the stumps. 91st over and he's off the mark with two runs, leaving Ponting on strike for the next over.

94th over and there's the 150 up for Ricky Ponting; another smashing innings by this amazing player.
Hauritz launches Anderson over the infield and away for four - cracking shot!

95th over and Freddy shapes one just past the offstump of Ponting who left the ball - close call, Punter!

101st over and here comes Broad to replace Flintoff. He gets one to beat the edge of Hauritz, but it's a no ball anyway. Next ball, he beats him again!

And there's the 400 for Australia in the 103rd over.

104th over and Anderson gets the edge of Hauritz's bat, but it's shelled at second slip! A dolly!! Same over and there's a big shout for LBW against Hauritz, but Hawkeye shows it going over. Not out.

At drinks:

afternoondrinks2.png

After drinks, Ponting hits it back just over Broad's head for a single.

106th over and on comes Harmison for Anderson.

112th over and two consecutive edges off Hauritz - both fall short of the fielder.

117th over and he's gone! Ten short of a double century and Punter's gone, deceived by a vicious turner from Swann that takes leg stump. All too late though - he made 190 and really should've been taken when he was less than 50 not out.

118th over and Flintoff gets Hauritz to play all round one and it's plumb LBW - the Umpire doesn't hesitate a second in putting the finger up. Australia nine down now.

hauritzlbw.png

Stonewall LBW.

hauritzlbwhawkeye.png

119th over and Siddle's off the mark with a nice cover drive for two off Swann. Australia are closing in

on 450, a lead of 324 so far. Same over and Prior (who else) spills another one off Swann. I wouldn't be surprised if Prior is dropped after this awful display.

At drinks:

afternoondrinks3.png

121st over and Hilfenhaus sees off the entire over from Swann with a slight degree of discomfort.

122nd over and Siddle just gets out of the way of a snorter from Flintoff that threatened to take his head off! Siddle will no doubt remember that when his turn comes to bowl. Next ball is edged past all the slips, a gully might have taken it.

124th over and Siddle brings up 450 for Australia with a straight drive for one.

127th over and that's it, Hilfenhaus lobbing a tame caught and bowled back at Anderson who pouches it gratefully. Australia all out for 452 - now the real hard work starts for England...

aus1stinnings.png

eng1stinningsbowling.png

This thing with Prior dropping orange ring catches is odd...he took most of them in the last match.

Last edited:
I was waiting online even know i was really really tired as i knew it was only a matter of time before you posted a update lol and you didnt dissapoint and well if you want my honest opinion it aint looking good for you and what day you on??

Day 2. We're dead, basically. :D

Still, it'll be fun seeing how long we can last - the pitch seems to have quietened down a lot - the Aussies were getting as many edges as I was earlier...

We'll see.

Edit: See, this is a prime example of why rain/bad light should be in the game - what if this was day three or four? The rain could well come in useful - but in this situation, it'd have to rain for three days...

Still, it'll be fun seeing how long we can last - the pitch seems to have quietened down a lot - the Aussies were getting as many edges as I was earlier...

We'll see.

Edit: See, this is a prime example of why rain/bad light should be in the game - what if this was day three or four? The rain could well come in useful - but in this situation, it'd have to rain for three days...

Very true weathering would be a great addition to the game and would make this game more tactical also which would be enjoyable. :)

I just hope once the final patch is released for the pc that it is just as good for the xbox 360, for some reason i have my doubts.

Okay for those who are interested: (you Sir, yes you sir walking the dog! Come here and have look! What? Where are you going? Sir? Sir...)

Well I have pushed on with this New Zealand versus England game even though it has frozen on me twice. I think I have a problem with the custom rosters. Anyway I save every over now to avoid frustration.

The Kiwi's after 50 overs. Nice competitive score. (They must win this one to stay in the competition!)

View attachment 62335

I haven't quite finished the England innings but just wanted to post a number of updates to show you how realistic this game plays. Now I have to tell you that I have given myself a restriction: namely one attempted lofted shot maximum per over. Look at Denly's waggonwheel: singles galore!

Here is England scorecard after and 33 overs plus Denly's waggonwheel for his second 25 runs of his 50.

Note the lineup: No Flintoff, no Pieterson! Injuries and all that!:(;):)

(And definitely no Bopara!:D)

Cricket2009 2009-09-27 15-22-23-79.jpg

Cricket2009 2009-09-27 15-17-51-94.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so by saying 1 lofted shot attempt per over i guess it is stil a bit to easy to bat and lofted shots are to powerfull??

so by saying 1 lofted shot attempt per over i guess it is stil a bit to easy to bat and lofted shots are to powerfull??

Yep. It is too easy to beat the inside ring with the lofted shot as even poor shots fly over them for four, ruining the suspense. This restriction really helps; Wrights dismissal was a bottom edge of a lofted attempt. That got the boys thinking again!

Nice touch; Denly was dropped first ball at second slip! And Collingwood had a shocker; scrapping and fidgeting and got out off his first attempted drive at mid-off!

Good news is colin has said that for deffinate the power on lofted shots will be sorted, so hopefully we wont have to go to these kind of restrictions, but seems like a good match

We'll see.

If your openers can get a good start and build 150 without loss, you never know...

My First Test playing as England:

Attachments

• 1stTestSummaryDay2.JPG
    1stTestSummaryDay2.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread