How are you going in Ashes Cricket 2009?

I find the problem is that I always seem to get out cutting and pulling the short wide ones. Back foot shots through the offside are very risky I find even to "poor" balls.

I find the back foot cover drive and cut the most productive shots in the game when playing against the ai.

Progress is slow in my Ashes Series as I prefer playing online. However, this is the current scoreboard at the close of day 1 of the 2nd Test - A real masterclass in concentration when batting:

Cricket20092009-08-1713-08-30-85.jpg

I tried to play as realistically as possible by leaving any balls outside off stump but pitched around the 'perfect' spot to avoid any edges or mistimed drives to one of the cover fielders. All bad balls were punished though.

I also got a nice shot of KP celebrating his double hundred:

Cricket20092009-08-1712-58-33-14.jpg

I won the first test in Cardiff by an innings btw. So this game is still perhaps a little too easy on hard mode, but it's a vast improvement over the recent Brian Lara titles, and I had to play sensibly to get such large batting scores. For instance, I had a lapse in concentration and played a loose drive with Bell...he was caught.

Just about scraped through to 180 vs Sri Lanka in my ODI "tournament". Broad got 40 odd at the end. I cannot play Jayawardene's medium pacers. Also found Malinga tough to get away. Murali is a breeze to bat against.

For those using the Aussies in test matches, have you been going with Siddle/Hilf or Clark/Lee? Maybe some combination in between? Also, I find using White as my spinner is more effective than Hauritz.

Finished the second Ashes test before, won by 5 wickets. Had a few scares with wickets after Cook and Strauss had gone but Prior and Flintoff guided England home. It actually finished on the morning of day 4 but because of the bug I posted in the thread yesterday it says it's day 3.

Attachments

• DSC00454.JPG
    DSC00454.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 46
I just got 311-2 in the first session of the first morning, Strauss went for 13 and Vaughan went for 22, but Pietersen is on 142 and Cook is on 112!!!

Restarted the Ashes series after I won 3-2, and it is an extremely low scoring affair, this first test.

With some brilliant bowling performances by Swann, Anderson and Flintoff, I managed to tie the Aussies up at 97 all out. I went out to bat, and thinking with a cautious mindset to make as many runs as possible, but not lose any wickets, the first over went for three. First ball of the second over, short and wide, I try to back foot cover drive and edge it to the keeper. 2 balls later, KP trys to hook a bouncer and gloves it through to the keeper. We made 74 all out. :facepalm

Again, with a five-for for Swann and Anderson, we bowl them out for 107.
Saved here. :)

AUS 318 [Ricky Ponting 104, Marcus North 52] [James Anderson 6/73][Graeme Swann 3/24]

ENG 420 [Alaistar Cook 146, Paul Collingwood 80, Matt Prior 50*] [Mitchell Johnson 5/98, Ben Hilfenhaus 3/46]

AUS 296 [Michael Clarke 81, Simon Katich 56] [Andrew Flintoff 4/31, Graeme Swann 3/52]

ENG 199/6 [Kevin Pietersen 63, Ravi Bopara 52] [Ben Hilfenhas 4/60]

ENGLAND WON BY 4 WICKETS AND LEAD THE SERIES 1-0

Hit my first T20 100 against the AI tonight. Playing as NZ I rode my luck a bit with being dropped and getting free hits but got 100 off the penultimate ball for Martin Guptill. Score off 20 overs 205/6 and I actually quite enjoyed making it.
Then restricted the opposition to 164/3 having dropped at least 5 catches (and had a green one go down!). Interestingly all my RF and RFMs went at about 6 an over, my LFM and SLA went at 12 and 21 rpo respectively.

Progress is slow in my Ashes Series as I prefer playing online. However, this is the current scoreboard at the close of day 1 of the 2nd Test - A real masterclass in concentration when batting:

Cricket20092009-08-1713-08-30-85.jpg

I tried to play as realistically as possible by leaving any balls outside off stump but pitched around the 'perfect' spot to avoid any edges or mistimed drives to one of the cover fielders. All bad balls were punished though.

I also got a nice shot of KP celebrating his double hundred:

Cricket20092009-08-1712-58-33-14.jpg

I won the first test in Cardiff by an innings btw. So this game is still perhaps a little too easy on hard mode, but it's a vast improvement over the recent Brian Lara titles, and I had to play sensibly to get such large batting scores. For instance, I had a lapse in concentration and played a loose drive with Bell...he was caught.

Wielding his bat like a sword!

OK then, I've been fiddling with Colin's beta player editor and I've drastically reduced the abilities of all the England batsmen and increased the ability of the Aussie bowlers (mostly accuracy and speed). Here are the results of the first session of the first test at Cardiff:

Cricket20092009-08-1722-11-55-37.png

Cricket20092009-08-1722-12-03-29.png

Cricket20092009-08-1722-12-11-11.png

The 100 came up after about 24 overs and I probably should've scored more than the 115 I did but I had stuttering for no obvious reason. Having said that, I wouldn't have had 100 had the AI not bowled so many damn no balls! I may yet turn the batting abilities down more, but we'll see after this match.

Perhaps there is some life in this game after all....

Strauss was a bottom edge off a pull and Pietersen was a crap shot on my part. Really got to be more careful with the hook and pull now because I've turned the timing attribute way down.

i started to play an ashes series earlier today and did enjoy it very much i was all out on day 2 morning session on a ok score of 490 odd runs of 80 odd overs so then i came into bowl and bowled very good got them all out pretty quick but no run outs fair enough i bowled them out pretty easy but it was just a load of catches and bowled wickets just very good bowling from me off about 40 overs lots of maidens ect they were about 150 odd all out so i enforced the follow on and im currently bowling again with them needing about 330 odd just to level scores lol very fun match tho cause i batted very good and im also bowling very good and getting lots of intresting catches and no run outs to my suprise and they didnt slog like crazy atall in the match just great bowling from me for once. by the way im on hard in first test at cardiff

jamershepp added 4 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

if you bowl at great lengths have the offside packed with men and about 3 men in slip spaced out you will get no slogging or run outs well stupid ones anywayz from the opposition team be it aussies or england trust me it when you play rubbish lengths thats when they start slogging like mad so if this does happen just go back to good length and make them play defensive shots to calm there run rate down trust me you will have a very fun game i garuntee

Got rolled for 209 earlier and now Aussies are 120/1 in first Test. It's going to be a long match...

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

OK then, I've been fiddling with Colin's beta player editor and I've drastically reduced the abilities of all the England batsmen and increased the ability of the Aussie bowlers (mostly accuracy and speed). Here are the results of the first session of the first test at Cardiff:

Cricket20092009-08-1722-11-55-37.png

Cricket20092009-08-1722-12-03-29.png

Cricket20092009-08-1722-12-11-11.png

The 100 came up after about 24 overs and I probably should've scored more than the 115 I did but I had stuttering for no obvious reason. Having said that, I wouldn't have had 100 had the AI not bowled so many damn no balls! I may yet turn the batting abilities down more, but we'll see after this match.

Perhaps there is some life in this game after all....

Wow, I like! This reminds me of BLIC 2007 when Lazy Chestnut released his 'editor'. It made the game a joy to bat with, but bowling was still a disaster, mainly because of the AI's fondness to leg glance the ball through his pads and onto his stumps. Now Ashes 2009 doesn't have such issues, this editor may well be the way to go. Good work, Colin!

Users who are viewing this thread