ICC Awards Thread.

I agree that Monty being nominated for Cricketer of the the Year is a little odd. But, emerging player, I think is perfectly right for him to be nominated for.

Everton fan and sureshot on previous page are two people who think Monty deserved it.

He deserved it for emerging, definatly. I won't argue with that.

well someones been giving me negative reps telling me that im a "Typical Aussie bias; How about having a balanced opinion for a change?"

I challenge this person to firstly have the balls to put a name on his negative reps like all decent people do, and secondly prove me wrong. As irrotev and I pointed out, he doesnt deserve to be there

Monty certainly deserves to be an Emergeing player of the year nominee without a doubt but I have to agree I'm not to sure why he'd be a Cricketer of the year nominee. The only thing I can think of is that he got a boost in his rateings because he faced some of the best players of spin so early in his career and did pretty well against him. I can only assume that that is the reason he's up there even if he didn't do as many great things as the rest. Still, I doubt he'll win it so it doesn't matter that much.

rickyp said:
As irrotev and I pointed out, he doesnt deserve to be there

Your allowed your opinion, but you should at least give a reason for it, instead of just blindly saying that he doesn't deserve to be there.

evertonfan said:
Your allowed your opinion, but you should at least give a reason for it, instead of just blindly saying that he doesn't deserve to be there.
read my posts.... i have said why

rickyp said:
MATTHEW HAYDEN
Code:
Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St
12  1287 137   58.50   5   6   -   -       -    -  24  0

VS

MONTY PANESAR
Code:
class  mat  balls  runs  wkts  bbi  bbm  ave  econ  sr  4  5  10 
Tests   10   2408   1037   32   5/72   8/93   32.40   2.58   75.25   0   2   0

i probs am biased against england but even still, hayden has been far more superior since the last awards, there isnt any denying that, yet he isnt up for cricketer of the year?

1 major difference is this is Montys debut year, this is Haydens 7th/8th in Test cricket?

irottev said:
Everton fan and sureshot on previous page are two people who think Monty deserved it.

He deserved it for emerging, definatly. I won't argue with that.

It surprised me, I was just defending him. Because if people have seen him bowl in all his 10 tests they'll see why he's been nominated. He's been unlucky too, could easily have had 40+ wickets in that time.

I'm not saying he should win it, infact myself wouldn't have nominated him. But the people who have aren't just nobodies in the world of Cricket.

Sureshot said:
1 major difference is this is Montys debut year, this is Haydens 7th/8th in Test cricket?

What difference does that make? I thought Rickyp stated that he was talking about Cricketer of the year, not emerging player of the year. A batting average of 58 is clearly superior to a bowling average of 32.

zreh said:
First tell me what you mean by "the last few years?"

Since the early 2001; the Australian tour of India.

zreh said:
Infact over the past year Ponting was the best batsman in the world. I admit that, I'm not being bias...

Agreed.

Sureshot said:

It surprised me, I was just defending him. Because if people have seen him bowl in all his 10 tests they'll see why he's been nominated. He's been unlucky too, could easily have had 40+ wickets in that time.

I'm not saying he should win it, infact myself wouldn't have nominated him. But the people who have aren't just nobodies in the world of Cricket.

that major difference is completely irrelevant, the cricketer of the year shouldnt have special concession because he only started this year, that would make the whole awards farcicle.

just tell me how he can possibly be nominated for cricketer of the year, but not test OR one day player of the year, yet someone like hayden is nominated for test player of the year (which would imply that he has been better than panesar this year) but panesar still gets it over him. In saying that, what you say about how being his first year is why he is there over hayden is probably true, which leaves me thinking that maybe I should be arguing how the selection process is useless.

Perhaps because he hasn't played an ODI?

Being nominated Cricketer of the year involves more than just your cricketing abilities, compared to the Test player of the year award.

You clearly haven't seen him this summer.

Sureshot said:
Perhaps because he hasn't played an ODI?

Being nominated Cricketer of the year involves more than just your cricketing abilities, compared to the Test player of the year award.

You clearly haven't seen him this summer.

Exactly. I think that personality comes into it as well. His humbleness and work rate really make him shine as a cricketer, hence why he deserves to be nominated for cricketer of the year.

I'd give the award to Flintoff anyway.

( Matches, Runs, Highest Score, 50s, 100s, Wickets, BB, Average, 4 WH, 5WH, 10WM,)
Vs Sri Lanka 92

2 66 35 22.00 0 0 3 3/11 52.66 0 1 0

Vs Pakistan 94-95

3 69 33 17.25 0 0 18 6/136 28.00 2 2 0

Vs India

2 28 20 9.33 0 0 1 1/150 228.00 0 1 0

Averages in First matches/tours vs the same teams as Monty:

Averages 40.45 in his first games vs the same teams as Monty.

A bit of work by me on Warnes first tours and consequently matches against the same teams.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/18655.html

As you can see obviously Monty outdoes Warne in his debut series against the same teams.

(I'm not comparing their talents just their stats)

Monty has bowled brilliantly. When he hasn't taken wickets he's been economical. He's been the best England bowler this summer by a distance in Test cricket. An Average of 32 with a eco rate of 2.58 against India away and Sri Lanka and Pakistan at home in your first 3 series as a English spinner is very, very good.

The people that nominated him have decades of experience in the game, many of them greats.

Another Question, why is Michael Vaughan even considered for the best Captain if he hasn't played a game in AGES!

Pak_cricketer said:
Another Question, why is Michael Vaughan even considered for the best Captain if he hasn't played a game in AGES!

Because during the Ashes, he captained England better than i've seen any other do it.

Users who are viewing this thread