ICC Awards Thread.

nightprowler10 said:
I'd argue that Australia would have had a better team if McGrath had played throughout the Ashes, since three world class players can outshine 6 good ones.

Agreed. Pakistan showed that in the winter against us; Akhtar, MoYo and Inzi outplayed our World Class player and our 'bloody good' ones.

Of course one could argue that Flintoff outshone the whole Aussie team in the Ashes. :p

evertonfan said:
Agreed. Pakistan showed that in the winter against us; Akhtar, MoYo and Inzi outplayed our World Class player and our 'bloody good' ones.
Don't forget Kaneria, except in the second test. I think England's main problem in that series (besides the Ashes hangover) was inconsistency with the bat and the ball.

nightprowler10 said:
Don't forget Kaneria, except in the second test. I think England's main problem in that series (besides the Ashes hangover) was inconsistency with the bat and the ball.

I wouldn't put him in the World Class bracket though, he'd go in the 'bloody good' category. England's only good point in that series was Bell's rediscovery of form, and Colly realising he can cut it at this level.

evertonfan said:
I wouldn't put him in the World Class bracket though, he'd go in the 'bloody good' category. England's only good point in that series was Bell's rediscovery of form, and Colly realising he can cut it at this level.
I was commenting on the outplaying part of your post, but yeah I agree, he's not world class.

Coming back on topic, I'd say Bell deserves the emerging player award more than Cook or Monty, but thats just based on what I've seen of them against Pakistan.

gambino said:
say ponting scored a hundred in each ashes test match and then got ducks in every match since would you still make him player of the eyar just cos he played good in the ashes?

Ponting has scored 2 single figure score since the Ashes (3 if you count his 0 not out) and has scored 8 centuries since at a batting average of 78 and his average would probably be bigger if he had been playing over the last few months. Ponting's in prime form and is without a doubt the best batsman in the world by some gap. I guess the next person that comes in line would be Mohammad Yousuf or perhaps Michael Hussey as far as the last year is concerned.

FreddieFan said:
I must say I disagree with you there. The way I see it, in my opinion, Australia had 3 absolute world class players: Warne, McGrath and Ponting (who didn't perform to World Class standard, but is still on that level IMO). England had 1, Flintoff. Now, the tier below that, which I have taken to calling 'Bloody good', England have (again, all my opinions) Tres, Strauss, KP, Hoggard, Harmison, and Simon Jones (Bell would also be in this catagory, but he had a bad series. Martyn and Gilchrist don't appear in the Aussie list for the same reason. Australia have Langer and Lee.

So Australia outnumber us on World Class players 3 to 1, but we have 6 'Bloody good's to their 2.

Vaughan did not have amazing players, but I'd argue that he had a better team overall.

What about Matthew Hayden? His the best batsman I've ever see play, he has a consistant average of 53-54 which was brought down from 58 after his piss poor Ashes performance and a few years ago he was as good as Ponting has ever been, if not better! Along side Ponting, McGrath & Warne I'd add him to the list of world class players. I'd have him in my team over any England batsman.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Ponting has scored 2 single figure score since the Ashes (3 if you count his 0 not out) and has scored 8 centuries since at a batting average of 78 and his average would probably be bigger if he had been playing over the last few months. Ponting's in prime form and is without a doubt the best batsman in the world by some gap. I guess the next person that comes in line would be Mohammad Yousuf or perhaps Michael Hussey as far as the last year is concerned.
He was using Ponting as a what if situation. He's not saying Ponting really did get 8 ducks. That'd be stupid.
wfdu_ben91 said:
What about Matthew Hayden? His the best batsman I've ever see play, he has a consistant average of 53-54 which was brought down from 58 after his piss poor Ashes performance and a few years ago he was as good as Ponting has ever been, if not better!
You just said he had a piss poor performance in the Ashes, which means he wasn't world class in the series. Thus, you agree with him.

Back on topic,

Cricketer of the Year, go to either Ponting or Yousuf.

Test Player of the Year, either Warne or Jaya.

One-day Player of the Year
Mike Hussey

Emerging Player of the Year
Asif or Cook

Captain of the Year
Jaywardene or Vaughan. Mahela has done excellent work since replacing Atapattu.

Umpire of the Year
Simon Taufel

Women's Cricketer of the Year
????

Last edited by a moderator:
Flintoff, batting average of 33 and bowling average of 28. Hardly worth cricketer of the year.

But lets see his averages in the time zone.

Australia: Bat: 49.7 Bowl: 24
Pakistan: Bat: 20 Bowl: 31 (ok not that good :p)
India: Bat: 52 Bowl: 30 And as captain
Sri Lanka: Bat: 15 Bowl: 29 and as captain again.

Some of those figures aren't great ubt if he hasn't performed with bat or ball he always made up for it by batting well when he bowled badly etc.
I've also found he scored 8 fifties and and a hundred to go with all those wickets... surely player of the year?

Cricketer of the Year
Makhaya Ntini

Test Player of the Year
Jayawardene

One-day Player of the Year
Herschelle Gibbs or Yuvraj Singh

Emerging Player of the Year
Ian Bell

Captain of the Year
Dravid

Umpire of the Year
Simon Taufel or Aleem Dar
No idea her- maybe Darell Hair :D

Women's Cricketer of the Year
Cathryn Fitzpatrick [just a random choice]

Dhoni should hav been in the nominations
He has avg almost 50 , st rate 100 ,best of 183* had a great year with flurry of runs, was ranked 1 , but still does not deserve a place .....

Lets see if he finds a place in the World XI team or not

Remember people that picking Asif should remember hsi current performances on this tour aren't included, they will be for the 2007 awards but this tour isn't included.

Sureshot said:
Remember people that picking Asif should remember hsi current performances on this tour aren't included, they will be for the 2007 awards but this tour isn't included.
The Asif stats I mentioned in my earlier post are for the time period being considered for the awards. He took 25 wickets @ 16.5 in 4 matches between August 1st of 2005 and August 1st of 2006.

Yeh he's done well, just some might not know.

Perhaps a mod could put in the title ICC Awards Thread (1st August 2005- 1st August 2006)?

His stats at Leics did surprise me though. Seems our county players can play him better than our test players :D

Users who are viewing this thread