ICC Awards Thread.

Drewska said:
No offence to you but Ponting's captaincy isn't great at all, i'd rather have Fleming up tehre because he's a great captain.
None taken. But part of being a captain is scoring big captain's knocks, that's the reason I mentioned him, although Jaya probably deserves it more.

irottev said:
Couldn't agree more about Dhoni.

About Bond, well he earned ODI player of the year nomination a hell of a lot more than Monty Panesar did! Heres his record from the nomination time frame:

18 matches, 36 wickets, best of 6/19, bowling average 18.11.

4 were against Zimbabwe, but the rest, Sri Lanka, South Africa India and West Indies, who arn't bad sides. Especially the first three.

I say he well and truly deserved it myself. It doesn;t surprise me that non-kiwi members had no idea about it and thats because we go totally unnoticed most of the time. lol

No, Bond just goes unoticed because he's injured half the time.

I wouldn't say Bond goes un-noticed. But I don't think people actually realised that he had such an amazing season. He must be the favorites from the bowlers. The problem is it was a batsmans kind of year. lol.

nightprowler10 said:
Come to think of it, I find it a bit unfair that Akhtar wasn't nominated for any category, yet Bond was.

I don't think either of them should because they missed a lot of the year. Bond i usually injured anyway because he bowls too fast for his body. Probably the same with Akhtar.

Drewska said:
I don't think either of them should because they missed a lot of the year. Bond i usually injured anyway because he bowls too fast for his body. Probably the same with Akhtar.
I agree. I didn't expect Akhtar to be there at all, but if Bond made after playing such a small amount of cricket, Akhtar should've as well. Anyway, sorry if this is seen as an attempt of trying to start something, I'm really not.

We played 22 One Day Internationals and 8 tests in the past season. Bond played 18 ODI's and 4 tests. That is the majority.

36 wickets at 18.11! Can you argue at that?

Last edited:
Disgraceful at the lack of Black Caps in there, we may not have played for a few months but that's no reason to shun most players who deserved a spot.

irottev said:
No, Bond missed nothing of the year actually, only tests and he only missed 2 I believe. You see, no one actually knows anything about NZ Cricket lol.

That's true. I kinda tuned out after Australia did a mini ODI tour of New Zealand late last year. This on the otherhand was a tour I wasn't fully hoping Australia would roll over the other team in apart from the first ODI game :D I guess McGrath taking the series off helped, though.

You had no McGrath, we had no Bond. Back in those super sub days lol. That was an awesome series!!!

irottev said:
You had no McGrath, we had no Bond. Back in those super sub days lol. That was an awesome series!!!

We also had no Matthew Hayden :cool: Instead... we had Simon Katich :eek:

Also we probably had the worse ODI bowling side to ever play in an Australian outfit in the last 10 years!

ZexyZahid said:
I consider Panesar's inclusion in the Cricket of the Year section also a joke, just like Vaughan has been placed as Captain of the Year. He was most of the time injured in the period, which the cricket players are being reviewed on.

Also there will come a short list of the nominees before the real voting begins.

The time span for the awards is August 8 2005 - August 7 2006 I believe.

So he won the Ashes in that era.

Montys inclusion isn't a joke. For such a young spinner to succeed in his first matches against the best players of spin in the world. India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka being the top 3 nations of playing spin.

He's caused those teams many problems, just as many as any other spinner outside the top 2. It did surprise me too. Emerging player should've been his category.

The nominations involved 5 people, not an Englishman in there.

Cricketer of the Year
Mahela Jayawardene

Test Player of the Year

Yousuf

One-day Player of the Year
Adam Gilchrist

Emerging Player of the Year
Mohammed Asif

Captain of the Year

Ponting

Umpire of the Year
Simon Taufel

Women's Cricketer of the Year

Karen Rolton

These are Mine:

Cricketer of the Year

Mahela Jayawardene

Test Player of the Year

Yousuf

Adam Gilchrist

Mohammed Asif

Captain of the Year

Dravid

Umpire of the Year
Aleem Dar

:D

Cricketer of the Year
Mahela Jayawardene

Test Player of the Year
Dravid

Shahid Afridi

Shahriar Nafees.

Captain of the Year
Jayawardene

Umpire of the Year
Aleem Dar

Women's Cricketer of the Year
Neetu David - Selfishlessly retiring so to give youngsters a chance. What a character, especially considering her debut was delayed due to another older left-arm spinner.

Users who are viewing this thread