Story ICC Champions trophy 2006

Group A :Sri Lanka vsIndia

India 217 ( 39ovs) Kaif 40 , Muralitharan 5-42
Sri Lanka 219-4 (36ovs) Jayawardne 94 , Atapattu 61

Sri Lanka (2pts) Beat India (0pts) by 6 Wkts

Summary :
Sri Lanka kept their fine form going with a comfortable win over India by 6 wickets . The Indian innings never had any momentum in it and they threw away some silly wickets , Muralitharan was in top form getting the indian team in a right spin ,Kaif made a brief resistance but was one of many of Muri`s victims when he was stumped coming down the wicket , India did well to get to 217 the way Muralitharan was playing.
The reply was too easy for Sri Lanka , the indians couldn`t get a breakthough early on which might have unsettled the Sri Lankan`s, the experiance of Marvan Atapattu was a main factor with a patient 61 to hold things together , and he was joined by Jayawardne who has been in exellent form in this tournement .
Sri Lanka qualify for the Semi-finals while India go home to reflect on 3 defeats in the group , the winner of Pakistan vs Australia will join Sri Lanka in the next phase.

Group B :New Zealand vs West Indies

West Indies 286-9 (50ovs)Lara 98 , Chanderpaul 77 , Bond 3-59
New Zealand 288-9 (49ovs) Astle 137 , McCullum 49, Taylor 4-63

New Zealand (2pts) Beat West Indies (0pts) By 2 Wkts

Summary:
Two sides that were eliminated before a ball was bowled went on to play one of the closest matches of the tournement ,both sides playing for pride went for it from the word go ,Windies batting first must of thought they had done enough with Lara(98) finally hitting some form & Chanderpaul (77) , Corey Collymore helped the cause with a 37 off 15 quick fire knock at the death.
The New Zealand run chase started badly with both openers removed early on Fleming(10) caught Baugh bowled Taylor and then Fulton(12) bowled Collymore , but then enter Nathan Astle who has had a fine tournement even if the black caps haven`t , he smashed his way to 100 off 117 balls (15x4 1x6) , he was then dropped next ball after making his 100 by Sarwan at square-leg ,another 37 runs were added by Astle before Fidel Edwards took the off stump clean out of the ground .
Brendon McCullum then took over but was losing partners fast , with two wickets remaining and 1 over Kyle Mills smashed a 4 down the ground to give the black caps the points and some pride.

Murali destroyed India :(

Great win by Kiwis though which was a very close match!

when i joined the forum i was mainly looking for someone to compare scores with ,so started posting my scores ,but it was great reading and trying to catch up with all the stories/scores from other members ,as i said earlier i didn`t look at the forum properly when i joined and didn`t see the story threads .
Great stuff though & thanks for the feedback

Super Baz said:
when i joined the forum i was mainly looking for someone to compare scores with ,so started posting my scores ,but it was great reading and trying to catch up with all the stories/scores from other members ,as i said earlier i didn`t look at the forum properly when i joined and didn`t see the story threads .
Great stuff though & thanks for the feedback

You can change the thread title again accrding to the storyline by editing the first post! :)

Group A :Pakistan vs Australia

Australia 291-7 (50ovs)Hussey 110 , Gilchrist 50 , Symonds 50
Pakistan 282 (48ovs) Younis.K. 52 , Yousuf 47 , Lee 5-48

Australia (2pts) Beat Pakistan (0pts) By 9 Runs

Summary :
A late Pakistan collapse gifted the Australian`s the match and a place in the semi-finals ,with 5 overs remaining Pakistan were coasting at 273-5 , they then self destructed when Yousuf(47) was caught behind off Bracken ,all that was needed was a cool head to get a few singles here and there but Akmal(2), Razzaq(2) , Gul(1) and finally Kaneria (1) left Afridi stranded on 44 in the middle ,im sure the Pakistan coach will be livid as they had the match was won , Australia will be happy to bounce back after their defeat to the Sri Lankan`s

wow..Its a close match again! With two overs to spare, Pakistan cud have won that easily!

Group B : England vs South Africa

England 188 ( 35 ovs) Langeveldt 4-32
South Africa 193-3 (33ovs) Kallis 77 , De Villiers 66 no

South Africa (2pts) Beat England (0pts) By 7 Wickets

Summary:
Duncan Fletcher will be concerned about the way his side gave their wickets away in the match , England only managed to crawl along to 188 with 15 over spare , two run outs didn`t help the cause and they will want to put this right before the semi-finals , and it wasn`t just their batting either as 3 catches were put down in the field , one of them being Kallis when he was on 10 .
Charl Langeveldt kept his fine form going with the ball in his claim to keep a starting X1 shirt his 4-32 hurt England`s middle order , Shaun Pollock & Andre Nel picked up 2 wickets a peice to complete the rout .
England started well with the ball when some very fast aggresive bowling had South Africa at 6-2 , Smith was lbw to Harmison for 2 then James Anderson had Gibbs caught at point by Pietersen for 3 . After a patchy start and surviving numerous lw appeals and a dropped catch Kallis went from strength to strength and was partnered by De Villiers(66no) ,Kallis went for 77 caught G.Jones bowled Lewis , Botea Dippenaar helped De Villiers finish off the runs .

Users who are viewing this thread