ICC Champions Trophy 2009

Who Will Win The ICC Champions Trophy

• Total voters
I hope no team pulls out of this trophy in 2009. Nobody would want to see a crap team like Bangladesh replacing Australia or NZ.
I would if they wouldn't stop acting like pussies and trust a 2day reports over a month or weeks report.

And believe me, your picture of Pakistan is as skewed as it gets. I again do not understand how you are an authority on Pakistan, when I happen to live there?

And you are an authority on India, then?

Tbh I think I would prefer it if the competition was scrapped all together its not like its that important anyway.

I would if they wouldn't stop acting like pussies and trust a 2day reports over a month or weeks report.

Yes you would. But in the end, when the tournament is over, you will realize how pathetic Cricket can get when the current Bangladesh team plays in CT.

Hell, even George Bush was walking in the streets of Islamabad, with about just 10 men around him. (This was back in 2005-06 I believe). And yes, he did play tennis ball cricket on that occasion. Is Pakistan not safe enough for Australian cricketers, but its safe enough for George W. Bush and all the other USA dignitories that come to Pakistan?

Pakistan has changed since then, most notably with the resignation of Musharraf. You cannot deny that his resignation has and probably will leave the country unstable for the foreseeable future.

And you are an authority on India, then?
I honestly think you should respond to the rest of my post, instead of picking one comment out :)

It so happens Cricketman, that the USA is on the other side of the world, and Pakistan happens to be bordering India.

Let me put it this way. If I can make outlandish claims that India is unsafe, the ATP canceled their tournament in Bangalore, so India is unsafe, and Australia shouldn't tour from my home PC in Pakistan, am I not doing the same thing you and many others are doing here about Pakistan?

I've caught you in a hole, haven't I? Should I trust the guy(s) who live in India about their security and what they say about it or should I go to the BBC and other news outlets and see how many bombings there are.

As you can clearly see Cricketman, you've just shot yourself in the foot :)

Sureshot -

To be really honest, people are going about their business in Pakistan. Let me give you an example. The day Musharraf resigned, everyone was going about their business as usual. Possibly they didn't hear about the news, but everyone went about their business the next day as well, and Musharraf's resignation would just be a topic to talk about between friends and co-workers.

I can see why you would think that Pakistan is unstable now, and politically it probably is. But why do politics and sport have to mix?

Honestly, Musharraf was better than these guys who are going to loot Pakistan to every extreme and put all their money in bank accounts in Dubai.

Let me give you a theoretical situation. Pakistan is in such a cruical stage politically, that if Pakistan was to stop fighting the Taliban (which is a point that I believe some people made in this thread and in others about Pakistan being in a state of war), heres what would happen.

These scumbags would take EVERY SINGLE RUPEE from the government and deposite it in their own personal bank accounts in Dubai. Then they will flee the country, move to Dubai, and have a happy ever after, leaving Pakistan under the Taliban's rule, and possibly another Afghanistan.

Thats just a response to some posts I remember reading last week about Pakistan being at war and fighting with the tribes and the Taliban.

Lawson upset at Champions Trophy postponement

The Australian coach of the Pakistan team Geoff Lawson has described as "very disappointing" the decision by some countries not to send their teams to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy leading to the postponement of the eight-nation competition last week.

The Pakistan board is trying to arrange a tri-series or a bilateral One-day rubber in South Africa to make up for the postponement of the Champions Trophy but nothing has been finalised as yet.

Lawson who returned to Pakistan two days ago after another vacation in Australia, said he was waiting for the series to be finalised before deciding on a preparation programme for the players.
http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3427946.cms

Everybody is upset,Cricket lovers/fans even the host,everybody is upset,the CT happens in every 2ys,this time it will be after 3yrs gap.

Politics are an integral part of life. Nothing can be done without politics, Usy.

The players are under pressure in a mounting schedule - driven by the ICC - of 3 versions of the game played on 4 continents. The ICC Champions Trophy is just yet another tournament that is sandwiched between the various cricketing nations' international fixture commitments. Yes there may have been some security risk in Pakistan, but the real reason why several countries bailed out of the ICC tournament is the relief/breathing-space that it will secure them in an over scheduled international cricket world. The ICC must wake up and realize that to become effective 'custodians of the game', they must quickly move to control/reduce the overall 'quantity' of cricket played.

The players are under pressure in a mounting schedule - driven by the ICC - of 3 versions of the game played on 4 continents. The ICC Champions Trophy is just yet another tournament that is sandwiched between the various cricketing nations' international fixture commitments. Yes there may have been some security risk in Pakistan, but the real reason why several countries bailed out of the ICC tournament is the relief/breathing-space that it will secure them in an over scheduled international cricket world. The ICC must wake up and realize that to become effective 'custodians of the game', they must quickly move to control/reduce the overall 'quantity' of cricket played.
The ICC is partly to blame here with their FTP.

They've caused teams like India and England to play so many games, yet Pakistan and Sri Lanka have barely any.

Did you know, Pakistan haven't played a Test since December 07, and won't play one till December 08 / January 09.

And Sri Lanka have only played 3 tests this year, and will only play 3 tests this year IIRC.

Yet England and India have been playing quite a bit of cricket this year - there's really no proper balance.

I don't really see what the safety of India has to do with the Champions Trophy being postponed. Anyhow...

As for the media point of view of Pakistan that is presented to everyone else, fair enough, it is probably skewed. But why is the same view not presented on India if it is indeed as dangerous to live there? It's the same world media...

I don't really see what the safety of India has to do with the Champions Trophy being postponed. Anyhow...

As for the media point of view of Pakistan that is presented to everyone else, fair enough, it is probably skewed. But why is the same view not presented on India if it is indeed as dangerous to live there? It's the same world media...
Sohum, I am pointing out that the ATP canceled their competition in Bangalore, which was to take place at the beginning of October. Not only that, the Bangalore test match between Australia v India is also in Bangalore during that same time period.

Why is it that one professional organization, the ATP, cancels their tournament due to security, but the other (Cricket Australia) say India is a perfectly safe place to play.

I am confident that nothing will happen to the Australian players in India, just as I am confident about nothing happening to them in Pakistan.

I did some research on the situation. It seems that it was not the ATP or the KSLTA that canceled the tournament, but the organizers. Here is an article that sheds some light on the situation.

Personally I am inclined to believe the above article because it makes no sense for the organizers to randomly emerge 1 month after the blasts and cite security concerns, when the city has been completely stable thereafter. It seems like a nose-out scenario to me.

And zMario, why do you suppose that the same international press that makes Pakistan sound dangerous does not make India sound dangerous? Do they all have some personal vendetta against Pakistan?

I did some research on the situation. It seems that it was not the ATP or the KSLTA that canceled the tournament, but the organizers. Here is an article that sheds some light on the situation.

Personally I am inclined to believe the above article because it makes no sense for the organizers to randomly emerge 1 month after the blasts and cite security concerns, when the city has been completely stable thereafter. It seems like a nose-out scenario to me.

And zMario, why do you suppose that the same international press that makes Pakistan sound dangerous does not make India sound dangerous? Do they all have some personal vendetta against Pakistan?
Sohum, is it my fault that I can't find one, just one news article in the entire World Wide Web that blames the lack of sponsorship?

And Sohum, are you inclined to believe everything the media says? Have the media ever been wrong? I believe so. The only reason that Pakistan looks dangerous is because we're in the news only for such incidents (usually). Its the same reason Zimbabwes always in the news (Mugabe), its the same reason that the African countries are in the news (hunger / poverty), its the same reason that the animals are in the news (extinction)

There's really nothing else to say on the matter. And let me ask you this, would you say a professional organization who has decided two months beforehand (May-June 2008) that they will not tour Pakistan (as stated by an ICC official and confirmed by a PCB official) then surely theres something wrong.

Don't you think that some people have already closed and set their mind? I live in Pakistan sohum, you don't. I don't think you have the qualification to judge whether a country is safe or not, with Karachi Xpress recently going to Pakistan and sharing the same sentiments as myself, and many other Pakistani users having traveled to Pakistan this summer and throughout the year stating that it is safe to play cricket.

I do not say that Pakistan is the safest country. But the fact that you're more likely to get *****, assaulted, or killed in South Africa than dieing in an isolated in the middle of nowhere bomb blast in Pakistan says a lot.

I will always maintain that Pakistan is safe enough to play cricket, until a very major incident occurs. Politics should not mix with sport, especially in a country like Pakistan, where politicians are as corrupt as they get.

Users who are viewing this thread