ICC Champions Trophy 2009

Who Will Win The ICC Champions Trophy

• Total voters

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Australia is definitely a western country. Just because it's in the South-East (isn't it ironic that this direction is all based on GMT and exploration by the "West"!) doesn't mean it isn't "western". It's not a geographic term in this context.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Australia is definitely a western country. Just because it's in the South-East (isn't it ironic that this direction is all based on GMT and exploration by the "West"!) doesn't mean it isn't "western". It's not a geographic term in this context.
In this context, it could be the west, yes.

Although I do think the Australians should use "The opinion of the Australian players" instead of "The opinion of the western teams"

I saw that in one newspaper based in Australia about 2 months ago.\

Anyway, not a big deal - anticipating a response from Dean :)

nikhil_99

International Coach
The Indian Cricket Board on Wednesday rejected the holding of the Champions Trophy in October 2009 becuase of clash of date with the home ODI series against Australia. Already it has been postponed for 1 complete year,now if two major Boards request to postpone it,it will go to Nov- Dec now.
God knows what's the future with CT.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
BCCI putting a ODI series with Australia ahead of ICC Champions Trophy.

Hmm. Didn't they just place last year in 2007?!

Whats the point of playing more ODIs against them the following year?

I'm in favor of scrapping the ICC Champions Trophy and giving Pakistan the Twenty20 WC or something of equivalency. And women's cricket doesn't count :p

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
The Indian Cricket Board on Wednesday rejected the holding of the Champions Trophy in October 2009 becuase of clash of date with the home ODI series against Australia. Already it has been postponed for 1 complete year,now if two major Boards request to postpone it,it will go to Nov- Dec now.
God knows what's the future with CT.

Woow. BCCI learned something atlast. Everyone knows how CT 2006 was a "hit" in India. Awesome news. Sad news for pak fans :P (wheres the laughing smiley)

nikhil_99

International Coach
Ehsan Mani, the former ICC president, says that Pak should surrender its right to host the Champions Trophy, scheduled for October 2009, and ask the ICC for an event in the future as compensation.They should have discuss this earlier,or else they should have changed the venue,because now already they have posponed it to next year + BCCI is saying to postpone it further,now former ICC president is saying that PAk should surrender,wonder what's going to happen next year!!

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
It's a shame for Pakistan but in the best interests of the competition I think it should be moved to Sri Lanka. It quite clear that players don't want to go there for political reasons and really we want to see the best players on show for a global tournament.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The situation will never be resolved, it seems. They should just get rid of the Champions Trophy and give Pakistan the rights to the next-to-next Twenty20 championship.

nikhil_99

International Coach
The situation will never be resolved, it seems. They should just get rid of the Champions Trophy and give Pakistan the rights to the next-to-next Twenty20 championship.

I agree,that the problem of resolving the tournament is difficult,thats why they have postponed it,all major teams (all white teams) refused to come in Pak,but even if they conduct 20-20,the same thing will happen.because of security reasons,so for now due to postponement,at least for 8-9 months there wont be talk of CT,secondly India will be there in Pak in Jan,no white team is touring Pak for next at least 6-7 months,so there wont be any "Postponement due to security concerns" etc...

I agree with Pak captain Shoaib Malik and ex captain Imran Khan,its time to save Pak cricket now,because if major teams wont participate,their board wont reap any profits.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Well since these "white teams" (if I may say that without being called a racist) have plans to never step foot in Pakistan, we may have to well and truly find a way to move the IPL to Pakistan.

It would help ;)

Also, I'd like to say something. I met an Australian in Islamabad. He was hired by a Chinese company and I believe he is a contractor. I asked him about the situation in Pakistan. He told me every morning, at around 6 AM he walks his German something (its a dog I presume).

And that's a daily thing. Then at around 9 AM, he goes to his job, comes back around 5 PM. Watches the news, TV, and goes on his life. When I asked him why the Australians and other white nations won't come to Pakistan, he said there's 2 reasons.

A) They're being cowards ; there is a huge negative mindset about Pakistan in Australia, and

B) There's no nightclubs here. Pakistan does not fit into the lifestyle of an "average Australian"

When I asked why / how he's here, he replied that well, I still get my alcohol, and I always focused on my work, therefore giving very few opportunities in Australia to go clubbing.

Interesting. And that, from a white Australian. He's lived in Pakistan for the last 9 months, and is happy in Islamabad.

I also believe he is constructing this (well is a part of it anyway):

centaurus.jpg

Oh, and just saying - thats real (or will be real by 2012 I believe).

And construction has been underway for the last 2 years or so.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Did he perhaps mention anything about being without a job if he didn't work for this company?

Besides, sets of 1 are useless for drawing reasonable conclusions from.

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
Did he perhaps mention anything about being without a job if he didn't work for this company?

Besides, sets of 1 are useless for drawing reasonable conclusions from.
You really think you can judge better than an Australian living in Pakistan as to why the aussies wouldn't tour Pakistan??

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
You really think you can judge better than an Australian living in Pakistan as to why the aussies wouldn't tour Pakistan??
Did I ever say that? Or are you just looking for a needless argument?

I am just questioning his motives and also the fact that taking one person's opinion as fact is an extremely silly decision.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Actually sohum, he is serious.

I have given you proof, having lived from Pakistan. I have given you an opinion from an Australian who has lived in Pakistan for the last 9 months.

The other notable thing is, you say he wouldn't have a job if he didn't come to Pakistan. First of all, he's alive, and he walks his dog every morning at around 6 AM through a park (of course it has a name, but it would be useless telling you, since most users here are not based in Islamabad)

He's made his life in Islamabad, and if he was here only cause he had to be, but really was scared of Pakistan, I highly doubt he'd be in public walking his german something.

And shouldn't the same thing apply to cricketers? Wouldn't his employers not send him to Pakistan if they felt it was unsafe for him? He trusts his employers, and its worked out well for him for the last 9 months, other than language barriers (although most understand English decently well, so he's been ok).

Shouldn't the English, South African, and West Indian players trust their employers, the boards?

And shouldn't CA and NZCB trust their employers (well in a way), the ICC?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
zMario, you should read posts more often. You have given me a huge post saying stuff about things I didn't even talk about or question.

All I said was that he may have different motives/reasons for staying in Pakistan. Also the unquestionable fact that one Australian's view in Pakistan is hardly anything worthwhile to derive any conclusions from.

Users who are viewing this thread