ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m sorry, but the coaching and management staff is the main reason we lost yesterday. New Zealand used the conditions well without any doubt, but they also showed us the way to bat the day before. And what do we do? Rohit gets out to an excellent delivery that he could have still avoided completely, Kohli shuffles across the line and gets out to a left arm pacer yet again in the knockouts of an ODI tournament after Boult set him up beautifully with a simple and effective plan. Rahul meanwhile fails to judge the line of a ball outside the off stump and gets out in an ugly way for the nth time.

And we still had a chance to resurrect our chances, we had the perfect player who is well known for his ability to grind if needed and has saved us from so many collapses. Instead, we send in an inexperienced slogger, an average player that is totally unreliable for building any innings and then an all-rounder who can grind if needed but is better utilized providing the spark towards the end.

I’ve still not talked about how poor the team selection was for yesterday’s game by omitting your most lethal pacer under overcast conditions, playing two spinners who turn the ball in the same direction versus a side that has four left-handers in their top 8 and going in with just five bowling options when two of them have played every game with a lot of those games coming towards the end unlike other teams thanks to the IPL messing with our schedule.

I’ve also not mentioned how shambolic the entire selection process was with talented players like Pant, Iyer, Pandey barely considered for selection by virtue of lesser opportunities and how we went in with a number 4 who had played zero games there over the last four years, in addition to Rayudu receiving an extended chance simply because he overperformed in a T20 league for one season.

I will probably offer a fairly more objective view once my emotional investment dies off and after the conclusion of today’s game.[DOUBLEPOST=1562847233][/DOUBLEPOST]

You know how bad Stoinis has been when you wish for a former keeper who only started bowling part-time fairly regularly a year ago to be there as the like for like replacement for him. :lol
India's problem was the batting. Very strong top 3 with Sharma, Dhawan and Kohli. After that a load of decent number 6 and 7s trying to fill the rest of the line up.

Big difference between England and I'd say all the other teams, they've known their top six for at least a year. They have a flexible 4, 5, 6. Crucially, I think everyone one in the top six is a consistent performer and proven match winner. A lot of other teams have seemed like they're still trying to figure it out. Not saying that'll mean they win today or win the tournament but I think it's made a big difference. Every other team seems to be debating who should play and in what position, even when England have failed there's not been a sense of panic and just sticking to what's worked.

Stoinis is the perfect example of someone who is selected based on category and not ability. "oh, he's a fast bowling all rounder.. let's pick him!"

I don't think he's done anything ever apart from that once in a lifetime innings!

Dont see how or why people are comparing this game to yesterdays: excellent bowling by England on a pitch that is more of a batsmans pitch than yesterday. Australia at least 70 short I would venture to say.

Haha that ball want through Steve Smith legs and it hit the wickets which got him run out, talk about luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1562850620][/DOUBLEPOST]Well England need 224 runs, New Zealand defended 240 against India so there is chance for Australia to win.

Right, this is England's to lose. They don't have to worry about runrate. I can only see Starc really causing any problems on this pitch if he hits his lines right. England have given themselves a massive massive opportunity here through excellent bowling and pressure building.[DOUBLEPOST=1562850794][/DOUBLEPOST]Will be interesting to see if England go out hard at the start as they are keen to do or just nurdle the score along....but as we have seen today and yesterday a few quick wickets really unsettles the nerves!

I would back Australia to win this. England look a bit vulnerable when chasing, especially small/moderate totals. I think getting Root and Butler cheaply will do the trick for them.

55-45 in favor of Australia I would say.

Excellent from the bowlers. Now over to the batters. Let’s not bugger this up.
We will be kicking ourselves if we do! What are you expecting: go out hard or jog along at the RRR?[DOUBLEPOST=1562851048][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would back Australia to win this. England look a bit vulnerable when chasing, especially small/moderate totals. I think getting Root and Butler cheaply will do the trick for them.

Mmm: I reckon England to do this with 40 overs! There, I said it!

I reckon England to do this with 40 overs! There, I said it!
Interesting! Let's see.[DOUBLEPOST=1562851491][/DOUBLEPOST]
They need to get Bairstow and Roy cheaply first. And Morgan and Stokes.
Not saying the above list of players is not significant - just that Root and Butler are more key players while chasing.

Make that 60-40 in Australia's favour :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread