India in Australia

Who is going to win in Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, he cancels them out with breathtaking stuff, besides he is a wicketkeeper, so it shows how good he is.

Nah, he cancels them out with breathtaking stuff, besides he is a wicketkeeper, so it shows how good he is.

Great fielders don't make as many howlers as him, he might be a good fielder but he's not great.

He's not Rhodes. Or currently, he's not Ponting, Symonds, Collingwood.

Whoa, whoa, you're making it sound as if he makes a howler every single time he takes the field, he doesn't. He has one once every while, other than that he is a solid fielder.

If he had more muscle and stamina on him, he'd be easily as good as Collingwood or Symonds. He's very athletic and flexible.

Put it this way, I can think of four better fielders in the England test team than Karthik:

Collingwood
Pietersen
Bell
Anderson

And I wouldn't consider calling the last three anything like "great".

Great fielders don't make as many howlers as him, he might be a good fielder but he's not great.

He's not Rhodes. Or currently, he's not Ponting, Symonds, Collingwood.

Rhodes is an interesting comparison to make Sureshot, he was a very good fielder but I thought you might go for a more well known name to compare with. Karthik is an okay fielder but he does make some real poor errors. He's a good keeper but not one to take that into the field.

Why don't you think Sehwag should be in the squad?

I feel that his domestic form was so bad, that it should eliminate any selection hopes for the short term future.

You have to admit that 66 runs in 5 innings at 13.20 is pretty damn poor, especially when batsmen (Chopra and Gambhir) batting at the same time of the same innings on the same pitches outscore him on a consistent basis.

I agree that Pathan, RP Singh and Ishant Sharma should play in Perth but writing off Pankaj Singh and VRV after one tour match seems to be hasty.

Not writing them off. I just said that they squandered their opportunity for a Test spot and that I have never rated them as one day bowlers.

Karthik isn't a great fielder by any stretch.

Yes he is.

No way! He's the best of a bad bunch though.

What the hell?

He has his bad moments, but he is a very good fielder, what makes you say he isn't?

Too many of them.

You are judging him by some wretched matches in England (boy oh boy, that dropped catch brings shivers to my spine). He has since proved that he is a good, energetic fielder. He is prone to the odd bad match, but who isn't.

Put it this way, I can think of four better fielders in the England test team than Karthik:

Collingwood
Pietersen
Bell
Anderson

I would not say that Bell or Anderson are better than Dinesh Karthik in the field. I understand that one howler of a drop has influenced your view of him, but in the subsequent T20 championship and ODI series', he fielded quite well.

PS: He is a good, not great fielder.

Last edited:

Collingwood
Pietersen
Bell
Anderson

Pietersen is not better than Karthik. If you're going to pull Karthik up for dropping too many, how can you ignore Pietersen's propensity to drop sitters?

Pietersen is not better than Karthik. If you're going to pull Karthik up for dropping too many, how can you ignore Pietersen's propensity to drop sitters?

Where did I say I was pulling him up for dropped catches?

Manee - I'm not judging him on just the tour of England.

Can I just point out this arguement/debate sparked from someone saying Dinesh Karthik is a "great" fielder, which he isn't.

All I would say is he does an adequate job, based on the fact he is actually a wicket-keeper.

Last edited:
Great addition to our fielding, let's say?

Ian Bell is not better than him, though, the amount of catches that he dropped against Sri Lanka. Plus I don't think he is as fast or athletic as him.

To me Chris Rogers looked more compact in defence and playing style than Jaques. Besides having home advantage also goes with him therefore I can think if the selectors think of picking him cos frankly if Hayden has injured hammy then it will at least take 4 weeks to heal. But you cannot say anything these days Edwards and Steyn played test match just after 3 days break.

Yea thats how he has always been, never made a bang in the OD form of the game but in FC he has been the most consistent batter with Jaques and to some extent Hussey.

Considering Karthik is 22 and is so far from what i've seen a fairly good fielder he's an excellent prospect. Jaffer is 29 so India by putting Karthik can see this as an investment for the future and a good learning curve for someone like Karthik. You've got to remember that half the team is above 30 (Most mid 30s) and so far only one young gun has shown anything good with the bat is dhoni's innings in the last test match. The batting has been a disaster for the young generation as seen in Yuvraj (prolly the biggest) and Jaffer. I'm all for Karthik more fore experience and a learning curve cause its unlikely Jaffer will play in the next test series in Australia.

Last edited:
Karthik is worth a shot but I see the Indian selectors picking Sehwag due to his experience and unpredictability. They can't do any worse than Jaffer has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread