India in Australia

Who is going to win in Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point they are trying to make is that Harbijhan was going crazy even though he didnt take part in the test.

can't really blame him after all that he has been through the last couple of weeks,the emotions were really running high.

Ganguly may not be athletic but he provides a calming influence to team. He is handy ODI player because he can bowl medium pace as well and last time around he had success as bowler too.

Now only Tendulkar is elder statesman and he will be under huge pressure because most of players are unexperienced and have 0 games in Australia.
A calming influence; of course an indefinable quality which can neither be disproved nor demonstrated to have any effect. Still, I wouldn't expect his influence to be very calming when he's leaking runs like a sieve.

A lot of the players are young, but from what I see there may only be 3 or 4 in the actual XI with no useful experience.

I doubt Tendulkar is the only one under pressure, after all, the players who are no certainty will be first on the chopping block. They're all under pressure to perform, but that's what the ODI format is all about, performing under pressure, matching runrates, getting wickets inside a limited timeframe.

I think on the contrary a great number of these players will be positive and eager to impress.

it seems like the aussies are getting angry. i admit celebrations were bit over the top but it must mean so much to them.

Very very happy with the ODI team selected. The emphasis being placed on fielding is very good. We have the calming influence of Sachin Tendulkar if we need to, and Saurav Ganguly is not required for that calming influence thing. He has been putting effort in his fielding, but his agility has been steadily going downhill. He has not been able to score as fast as he used to, and takes time getting set in the middle.

I am also very happy with the inclusion of Suresh Raina. The fielding will now receive a major boost, and I am sure with the form Raina has shown in domestic cricket, he will be valuable as a batsman too. And with the inclusion of Sehwag, its clear that the selectors go on test form when picking their ODI side. I wont fault them too much on it coz I feel Sehwag will be handy as an off spinner and when he hits it, he will kill you.

I guess its time up for Dravid and Ganguly as far as ODI's are concerned. Knowing Ganguly, he will probably fight back until he feels his time in ODI's are up. Wont say the same with Dravid who I feel could hang up the boots in ODI's pretty soon if he is kept out consistently. But this is a very good ODI team and the emphasis placed on fielding abilities is very encouraging.

The point they are trying to make is that Harbijhan was going crazy even though he didnt take part in the test.

can't really blame him after all that he has been through the last couple of weeks,the emotions were really running high.

Enough is enough. As long as there is no rule in Australia that you are not allowed to run in the ground with an Indian flag, Harbhajan is allowed to do whatever he wants. Its his team, no one has opposed to it. Whats the friggin' problem? I would do the same thing if I were Harbhajan. After all that happened in Sydney, its a thing of national pride for me.

Last edited:
I saw the "celebrations" again today on the highlights package and it seems to be a perfectly legitimate response to what is considered a historic victory on Australian soil.

Yes, as some members have said, Harbhajan could have avoided the Indian flag, because it was bound to have more connotations after the racism episode, but still, I saw nothing wrong with it myself. Think of it this way: had the episode of racism not occured and had Harbhajan not been involved in it, none of the Australian members here would have complained about the Indian flag being carried by a member of the Indian team.

Like I said before, I had no problem personally with the Australians celebrating the Sydney win (except that I was sick at the fact that India lost). And I'm sure it's quite the natural response of any time winning a hard fought game of Test cricket.

In an ideal word, Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly would have all announced their retirement from one day cricket so that the selectors could look forward to the future without being under sort of pressure.

In an ideal word, Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly would have all announced their retirement from one day cricket so that the selectors could look forward to the future without being under sort of pressure.
Quite true. I still think that we need the agile fielders in the ODI game and we have a lot of exciting talent which can replace the aging heroes.

Bad fielding has always cost India dearly in the ODI game.

Not Tendulkar, in my opinion, he is a terrific ODI batsman who is in the form of his life.

Ganguly was in good nick as well. Would have liked to see all three play but meh...
I fell we're going to lose this one pretty badly.

Not Tendulkar, in my opinion, he is a terrific ODI batsman who is in the form of his life.

Definitely, Tendulkar has been in brilliant form both in the ODIs and tests. Just his performances in the test series alone should tell you that even at this age, he's one of the best, if not the best, batsmen right now.

I think we celebrated perfectly. There was a lot going on against us in the Sydney test and to have the resilience to bounce back with a win on a pitch where we were supposed to be massacred by Tait and the like, shows the passion this team plays with. And that passion obviously spilled into the celebrations. I think Bhajji's entrance with the flag was one of the best moments. :p Of course, as an Indian, it felt quite inspiring to see the Indian flag, but I can see why some of the Aussies would feel disgruntled at having a player who didn't play in the match carry the flag. It doesn't really matter, though. He probably felt vindicated in some sense, as a part of the team.

With regards to the CB series, Ganguly has been dropped. This is astonishing for me because he has been nothing but successful in all formats, recently. With Sehwag in, I guess they are going for the following line-up, provided everyone is fit, for the CB series:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Yuvraj Singh
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Suresh Raina
6. Mahinder Singh Dhoni
7. Robin Uthappa
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Piyush Chawla
10. Santhkumaran Sreesanth
11. Rudra Pratap Singh

It is good to see finally that the selectors do something right. Ganguly is a good ODI player but age is catching up with him in terms of running between the wickets and fielding. One should just watch the last world-cup match with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to see how not able to rotate the strike and fielding influenced the result. Whoever who has no chance of playing in the next world cup for India should not continue to play ODIs. It does not matter if this young team struggle a bit in the CB series. It is high tme that India start building a team for the next world cup.

I think if it is left to Dhoni he will try to have five front line bowlers where Pathan plays as the all rounder. Then there is room for only 6 batsmen including Dhoni. I think Harbajan would play before Piyush Chawla. Will have to see if any match India will play both Chawla and Harbajan. It is good to see finally that Raina and Sehwag are in the team.

Here would be my ODI line up:

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Raina
Yuvraj
Karthik
Uthappa
Dhoni
Irfan
Praveen
Piyush
Sreesanth