India Team Discussion

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Kumble steps down as Indian coach
Anil Kumble steps down as India coach - Times of India

I would say, time to sack Kohli as captain and give it to Rohit Sharma! Kohli has to take the fall out of this decision by Kumble! If they go ahead with Kohli as captain and hire a new coach, it gives a wrong signal that Kohli has all the power to influence who coaches India! Kumble being a senior statesman and having led India as a coach to a Champions Trophy final, deserves to stay on till the 2019 WC. It's because of Kohli and the media exposure of the rift that Kumble has stepped down in gentlemanly fashion.

Kohli deserves to be sacked as captain! Rohit Sharma needs to take over as captain in ODI and T20. Ajinkya Rahane should take over in test cricket.

Not just the CT performance. You can count games we lost under him in one hand. We`ve practically won everything possible and above all, the quality of test cricket we played was exceptional.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Not just the CT performance. You can count games we lost under him in one hand. We`ve practically won everything possible and above all, the quality of test cricket we played was exceptional.

And its under Kumble that our bowling attack is starting to look really strong. People like Umesh Yadav and Bumrah are starting to show more control, Jadeja has improved a lot in tests (he is ranked No.2 in tests), Ashwin came out of his bad patch and started performing again in tests, etc. And Kumble deserved the chance to coach the team through their ultimate challenge - overseas tours against Australia, England and South Africa.

Hope our bowling does not suffer because of this decision. Moody should get the job, more so if Kohli stays. Its time to get a foreign coach and then after a few years or so, Dravid or Zaheer or their likes can be India coach. Sehwag should not be anywhere near the team.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
And its under Kumble that our bowling attack is starting to look really strong. People like Umesh Yadav and Bumrah are starting to show more control, Jadeja has improved a lot in tests (he is ranked No.2 in tests), Ashwin came out of his bad patch and started performing again in tests, etc. And Kumble deserved the chance to coach the team through their ultimate challenge - overseas tours against Australia, England and South Africa.

Hope our bowling does not suffer because of this decision. Moody should get the job, more so if Kohli stays. Its time to get a foreign coach and then after a few years or so, Dravid or Zaheer or their likes can be India coach. Sehwag should not be anywhere near the team.

Exactly, Sehwag reeks of arrogance and does`nt believe in systems. While that may work for an individual, it would be detrimental for a team.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Have to agree with this.. He has really impressed in the series against Zim.. Also, he played really well in the IPL in 2016. But he went out of the squad due to injuries
For the fast bowling department, I think we have a decent group of fast bowlers right now. However, I don't know where did Barinder Sran disappear

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Exactly, Sehwag reeks of arrogance and does`nt believe in systems. While that may work for an individual, it would be detrimental for a team.

If Sehwag does make it, India's downfall will start and we should brace ourselves for a pretty disastrous few years. Just see the way he talks on Twitter. He is like a 'not as ugly but just as funny' version of Donald Trump. And it seems he sent a two line CV for the application as Indian coach and said "you know all about me, what do I say?" kinda CV (according to reports).

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Kumble steps down as Indian coach
Anil Kumble steps down as India coach - Times of India

I would say, time to sack Kohli as captain and give it to Rohit Sharma! Kohli has to take the fall out of this decision by Kumble! If they go ahead with Kohli as captain and hire a new coach, it gives a wrong signal that Kohli has all the power to influence who coaches India! .

The one thing that we need to understand here is that it would have been really awkward had Kumble stayed in the position knowing that there is clearly some difference between him and Kohli. Kohli is not going to lose captaincy and we have to accept that so there was only one option left which was for Kumble to resign. Again I am not so sure what the problem is. However, Kohli can't be the only one who has a say in this. BCCI must have asked other senior members as well about this before making a decision. I am not 100% sure if it's a right decision since we won mostly everything under Kumble and he deserved to keep the job to take a look at how he would fare with this team overseas. However, it clearly seems the issue is much bigger for them to solve. I just wonder what would have happened if we had won the final.

On the topic of next coach, as I have said this before, Tom Moody was robbed of the job last time. He should be a straight forward choice this time around.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Anil Kumble Twitter : "Thank you! https://t.co/eF5qVzdBRj"

What a classy departure official note from Anil Kumble! And with this note, Kumble has almost explicitly (and rightly) thrown Virat Kohli under the bus. :D Just when he was doing a great job, this thing happens.

I also smell some murky and dirty BCCI politics that would've had a hand in this. Will this departure as coach end Kumble's role in the fight for appropriate pay for the players (international and domestic)? Kumble strongly mentioned that BCCI need to use their power responsibly. The way the rift between Kohli-Kumble leaked, and played out in the media, I won't be surprised if someone within BCCI set the light to the fire.

namin96

Club Captain
Anil Kumble Twitter : "Thank you! https://t.co/eF5qVzdBRj"

What a classy departure official note from Anil Kumble! And with this note, Kumble has almost explicitly (and rightly) thrown Virat Kohli under the bus. :D Just when he was doing a great job, this thing happens.

I also smell some murky and dirty BCCI politics that would've had a hand in this. Will this departure as coach end Kumble's role in the fight for appropriate pay for the players (international and domestic)? Kumble strongly mentioned that BCCI need to use their power responsibly. The way the rift between Kohli-Kumble leaked, and played out in the media, I won't be surprised if someone within BCCI set the light to the fire.

It's a shame that Kohli has to act like a little kid in this. My respect for him has gone down to be honest. He's got a lot of growing up to do and he should worry about his own performance rather than getting involved in disagreements with the coach. If you can't walk the talk then there's no point in saying the crap that he talks about in his press conferences. Unbelievable, I feel bad for Kumble because he really improved our bowlers and we were successful under him. I still don't understand why Kohli is getting his way in every single thing, he's not bigger than the team. His arrogance isn't a great thing for indian cricket like we saw in the final the other day.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
It's odd seeing how many of you are putting the blame directly at Kohli and not even some of it on Kumble. Yeah, we are winning but if the players aren't happy being coached by a drill sergeant, they're going to speak up about it and all the articles I have seen (Cricinfo comes to mind) explicitly mention it's not just Kohli but that a lot of the players didn't appreciate his man management skills.

It is not Kohli vs Kumble, it's players vs Kumble and in every scenario I'm going to side with the players because they're the ones who actually impact the game.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
It's odd seeing how many of you are putting the blame directly at Kohli and not even some of it on Kumble. Yeah, we are winning but if the players aren't happy being coached by a drill sergeant, they're going to speak up about it and all the articles I have seen (Cricinfo comes to mind) explicitly mention it's not just Kohli but that a lot of the players didn't appreciate his man management skills.

It is not Kohli vs Kumble, it's players vs Kumble and in every scenario I'm going to side with the players because they're the ones who actually impact the game.

The players can't have any say on the coach. And ultimately if you see the results under Kumble, it has been almost spotless (except for a minor distraction here and there, and this includes the CT 2017 final that we just lost; also before this final started, the rift between coach and captain was made public and so it puts a doubt as to how involved the players were in ensuring that the coach goes). When someone pushes you to give your best, you go and complain that "this guy is pushing me too much; I don't want him in the side anymore?". How ridiculous that sounds? There can be no passengers in this team who are not willing to step out of their comfort zones.

You obviously got to be a hard taskmaster when you coach an international side and that too a side like India who are constantly under the media glare 200%. India is the most controversial side in the world cricket and a side that has every eyeball trained on them, many waiting to pounce on them and laugh if they fail. For long, we have wanted to match the standards of the top non-Asian sides in the world in terms of fitness, bowling standards, batting standards, etc. All of this was coming into place under Kumble's coaching. Kumble has not done anything wrong like leaking things to media (that rumor about him circulating info about players on WhatsApp is very likely a rumor as no reliable source posted that info). It's so clear that India were progressing in the right direction under Kumble and clearly looked ready to take on their biggest challenges (winning overseas in test series). This is a big setback on us, and I am going to be siding by Kumble and I despise the way in which Kohli played his hand in this entire affair.

And seeing the way Kumble saga turned out, there is no hope in hell of Rahul Dravid coaching India in the near future.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@SaiSrini

Excellent post!

I just don't agree with the grooming Pant bit. Fakhar Zaman made his debut in the CT.
Pant is still a kid of 20 whereas Zaman is 27, that might be a factor.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
This resignation will send a bad message to the next coach.

Users who are viewing this thread