India Tour New Zealand- 2022- Limited Overs only tour.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah, the "Rishabh Pant has to somehow play in whatever position possible in T20I cricket" experiment is going on. And the worst thing is - he's being played simultaneously with Ishan Kishan who is a similar kinda player.

Sanju Samson deserves a solid run because he's the kind of guy who will complement an aggressive opening pair (two amongst Prithvi Shaw, Ishan Kishan, Shubman Gill. The selection is haphazard all over again. :facepalm SKY being in the form that he is, single handedly took the game away from NZ

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
After that inns I rate SKY a way better slogger than ABD. …zzzzzzzz

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
SKY is just magnificent. Most entertaining batter in world cricket at the moment. May his reign long continue.

Missed out on the game as I believed rain would have affected this one too. I’m no fan of Pant opening at all and I have no idea why people want him to be our Sehwag/Gilchrist in white ball cricket. Either give him a proper role in the middle order and back him properly or else move on to the other hundreds of openers waiting for a chance.

I’m not surprised Umran didn’t play either, this is the same story repeated again. Will play a few token games on these series’ and get tonked in them. I see that Hooda is continuing to be wrongly used but at least Hardik had the sense to bowl him. Samson and/or Gill should have played in this game.

As I said before though a very terrible squad has been selected and I’m not expecting anything worthwhile from this exercise other than some captaincy experience for the likes of Pant and Hardik.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
SKY is just magnificent. Most entertaining batter in world cricket at the moment. May his reign long continue.

Missed out on the game as I believed rain would have affected this one too. I’m no fan of Pant opening at all and I have no idea why people want him to be our Sehwag/Gilchrist in white ball cricket. Either give him a proper role in the middle order and back him properly or else move on to the other hundreds of openers waiting for a chance.

I’m not surprised Umran didn’t play either, this is the same story repeated again. Will play a few token games on these series’ and get tonked in them. I see that Hooda is continuing to be wrongly used but at least Hardik had the sense to bowl him. Samson and/or Gill should have played in this game.

As I said before though a very terrible squad has been selected and I’m not expecting anything worthwhile from this exercise other than some captaincy experience for the likes of Pant and Hardik.
I'm on board the Pant to open train, have been for some time. Although I saw an interesting point that he seems to struggle when teams are more defensive and that was something New Zealand tried in the powerplay (I didn't see the match either).

I think if they're going to try it then give him a good run not just two matches, or say you'd like to see him do it in the IPL or SMAT. Regardless of form, clarity from the coach/captain is important. Although who has made this decision, seeing as the coach and captain are resting, is unclear.

He's such a bizarre player because he has so much ability I can see why India want to find a place for him in the team. We've had it in England with Jonny Bairstow in the test team. And we'll see it in Pakistan when Zak Crawley scores 1000 runs in 3 test matches.

Pant has a solid defence so could look to emulate a Chris Gayle dot-dot-boundary style, but is also a good rotator of the strike so he could conceivably look to be an anchor like Buttler. He could be something uniquely Rishabh Pant, but the last year or so he just seems to stink up the place.

Bevab

Staff Member
I'm on board the Pant to open train, have been for some time. Although I saw an interesting point that he seems to struggle when teams are more defensive and that was something New Zealand tried in the powerplay (I didn't see the match either).

I think if they're going to try it then give him a good run not just two matches, or say you'd like to see him do it in the IPL or SMAT. Regardless of form, clarity from the coach/captain is important. Although who has made this decision, seeing as the coach and captain are resting, is unclear.

He's such a bizarre player because he has so much ability I can see why India want to find a place for him in the team. We've had it in England with Jonny Bairstow in the test team. And we'll see it in Pakistan when Zak Crawley scores 1000 runs in 3 test matches.

Pant has a solid defence so could look to emulate a Chris Gayle dot-dot-boundary style, but is also a good rotator of the strike so he could conceivably look to be an anchor like Buttler. He could be something uniquely Rishabh Pant, but the last year or so he just seems to stink up the place.

I genuinely don't think he particularly likes opening. He likes hitting spinners and taking on fielders with big shots neither of which are prominent in the powerplay. He's never opened for Delhi in a long time even when they had chances to try him there. It's obvious that they're persisting with him because he's a generational talent and to be fair to them his record since the shadow of Dhoni has passed and he had his second BGT victory hasn't been terrible at all. The problem still is that his best T20 performances for both India and Delhi have come as a number four/five. He's useful for a quick twenty runs but too often he gets bogged down by substandard innings that are a result of him being meddled with.

I still think they're just having him in the XI because he has talent rather than seeing a clear role for him which is why you get these bizarre experiments where he opens in a series, plays at four in one, acts as the finisher in another. Even mid series' he's been subject to change often, he's sometimes behind Hardik and sometimes ahead of Hardik in the batting order without any game context. To cite an example, England during Eoin's run had a clear plan with Buttler of wanting him to come in when the game was approaching the 30 over mark ahead of Stokes but if not Stokes would be first in. There's no such role for Pant at all. All the three roles I've mentioned that he has been tried in requires different mentalities and skills which makes it even more difficult for a bloke who hasn't established himself in the XI to perform well.

This is ultimately why I feel a break from this side would do him good. He's still a key test player and an important part of the ODI squad. Let him focus on those two for the moment and refine his game to be the type of player he wants (a Dhoni clone or the 2018-19 Pant in DC) in T20s. By then the Indian side would have also formed a better idea of their XI and they can look to adapt him in rather than both parties in flux try to fruitlessly make sense of this situation.

Bevab

Staff Member
As for New Zealand... Lockie's form must be concerning now. He's been off the boil for a while and this is just the latest in a line of poor performances. The numbers on paper may seem nice but he's gone missing at key moments too often and has been easy to hit, neither of which are things you want in an enforcer. Neesham's been poor too, granted he hasn't been helped by the constant meddling with his role but he cannot hide behind that after making basic mistakes time and again. Kane will be the biggest talking point and rightfully so... he's been looking better with the bat as a player but his playing style which was already at odds with this format is now too big a concern to be ignored. At what point do you wonder if it's worth saving him for the other two formats and hope he returns to form there instead?

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Wow, only change is Harshal Patel in for Sundar. I dunno why Samson doen't get an opportunity here. Also if we are so talking about moving forward then why not rest Bhuvi and play Umran Malik and let him learn in the game time. Why do we have to carry players who won't get a game? If someone like Malik isn't getting game time then he should be playing domestic fixtures if he is to be groomed for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread