NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Romarsha: "Maybe India takes all the luck from bilateral series and none is left in ICC tournaments”

Random guy on Cricinfo makes absolutely sense! #IndiaOut

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Did I just reverse jinx on the ODI format itself? :D Two thrillers back to back!

See, tat's what I had mentioned a few posts ago. A few thrillers and people will be hooked on to this format.

Wait until the WT20 gets done, the amount of T20 that's being played world over is quite baffling and hence the audience have a bit of difficulty in adjusting to the ODIs. I fully expect the focus to shift on to the 50 over format as the World Cup 2023 looms over us.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
The problem is not the formats. The problem is the context.

Administrators are too dumb to understand it, people are always looking at short term solutions or recent results.

I've been on the forum ten years and I have always said that cricket needs this-

A two tier test championship of 8 teams each with the team coming last from tier 1 to be demoted to tier 2 and the winner of tier 2 to be promoted to tier 1 in a 4 year cycle.

An annual ICC champions league in the 50 over format with 10 teams in it where each plays the other thrice in the year at a home/away and neutral venue. Whoever wins the league, wins the league.

One World Cup every 4 years in the T20 format with the format followed for the 2019 WC (50 overs)

The rest is all franchise cricket and whether anyone likes it or not that is the reality. I see current IPL owners soon having enough capital to have their own teams in all leagues and with auctions losing their charm a cricketer like (for example) Mitch Marsh can be hired by X franchise for X amount of money to play for all these franchises over the year. It is going to happen and the faster people and more importantly administrators realise this, the better the health of international cricket will be. If people are dreaming that the IPL window won't get bigger then they are again delusional because it will simply because it is a cash cow. I see it as an all year event in the future with games on weekends only and squads having 30-40-50 players contracted to them where international duty players will not be a part of it but others will.

International cricket needs meaning and bilateral cricket is on the ventilator since a decade. You just have to pull the plug.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Another thing that can be done- I kind of like Ravi Shastri's suggestion of not playing T20i and just limiting the format to T20/franchisee. They could also go the UEFA/FIFA way in having a Club World Cup given the number of franchisees mushrooming everywhere. The franchisee model offers a chance to forgotten cricketers to ply their trade and be a tad relevant in today's changing marketplace.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The problem is not the formats. The problem is the context.

Administrators are too dumb to understand it, people are always looking at short term solutions or recent results.

I've been on the forum ten years and I have always said that cricket needs this-

A two tier test championship of 8 teams each with the team coming last from tier 1 to be demoted to tier 2 and the winner of tier 2 to be promoted to tier 1 in a 4 year cycle.

An annual ICC champions league in the 50 over format with 10 teams in it where each plays the other thrice in the year at a home/away and neutral venue. Whoever wins the league, wins the league.

One World Cup every 4 years in the T20 format with the format followed for the 2019 WC (50 overs)

The rest is all franchise cricket and whether anyone likes it or not that is the reality. I see current IPL owners soon having enough capital to have their own teams in all leagues and with auctions losing their charm a cricketer like (for example) Mitch Marsh can be hired by X franchise for X amount of money to play for all these franchises over the year. It is going to happen and the faster people and more importantly administrators realise this, the better the health of international cricket will be. If people are dreaming that the IPL window won't get bigger then they are again delusional because it will simply because it is a cash cow. I see it as an all year event in the future with games on weekends only and squads having 30-40-50 players contracted to them where international duty players will not be a part of it but others will.

International cricket needs meaning and bilateral cricket is on the ventilator since a decade. You just have to pull the plug.

Agree with you on the context but fiercely disagree on the propositions suggested. What is the difference between the Champions League and the World Cup when they have the same number of teams? Only in cricket can we have a World Cup with ten countries participating and celebrate it as a global event whilst having twelve full members. It isn’t just the World part that makes me laugh, it is also the Cup part of it. The Indian Premier League and the Big Bash League will have more knockout games than this supposed World Cup. Might as well call it the international T20 league that happens every four years^TM.

The format of said tournament also generates numerous dead rubbers. The only reason why the 2019 WC didn’t to that extent was because England had a mini wobble mid-tournament courtesy of Roy‘s injury. Look at the IPL this year to see how many meaningless games were played because plenty of teams knew they wouldn’t be able to qualify. The 2019 WC’s reputation all stems from NZ‘s exploits and that final. If it weren’t for those two knockout games involving the Black Caps (and a healthy dose of English media fuelles hyping) we would have called it one of the worst tournaments ever. A World Cup is a tournament where I believe every game should matter in some way and every fixture for the most part needs to be high stakes. A dead rubber should be the exception like in the past tournaments rather than the norm.

I also don’t like the test tier format as I believe it means you’ll never see the weaker side play against opposition that are clearly much better. I believe that whilst it results in thrashings it also helps the weaker sides gain much valuable experience beneficial in the long run. That can be sorted by arranging friendly tests I suppose between nations in different tiers. However I feel having only one side be promoted over a four year cycle is too slow and will just disincentivise countries from taking the entire concept seriously as they would have no chance of ever getting into the first tier.

In conclusion I feel you’re being as short-sighted over the progress that can be made by other countries as our glorious administrators in today’s sport are.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
The tickets for the USA matches compared to last time are so freaking expensive. Last time I bought 2 tickets for $70 and apart of excruciating heat and getting sun burned it was fun. The same tickets start at $100. A lot of people after last times experience like myself wanted tickets under a covered stand and they freaking start at $600. If West Indies being home country fall into money grabbing stance like BCCI, they will see a lot less people going to the games.

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
:facepalm Shubman Gill

Bevab

Staff Member
:facepalm Shubman Gill

Bloke slows down to ensure that he can get that century and rain does him over.

Other than that though he has been pure class this series. Been saying it all along but it is time we back him in tests (should have done already to be fair to him) and start to have him in ODIs too. Massive, massive talent.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The tickets for the USA matches compared to last time are so freaking expensive. Last time I bought 2 tickets for $70 and apart of excruciating heat and getting sun burned it was fun. The same tickets start at $100. A lot of people after last times experience like myself wanted tickets under a covered stand and they freaking start at $600. If West Indies being home country fall into money grabbing stance like BCCI, they will see a lot less people going to the games.
Thats an insane price! Though the US market would slurp those tickets still. Tell me something arent Indians a large majority of spectators when the games hit the US?

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Thats an insane price! Though the US market would slurp those tickets still. Tell me something arent Indians a large majority of spectators when the games hit the US?
They are but I am sure with the recent inflation and everything $600 is a steep price. I will be interested to see how may go and how full the stadium is.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
They are but I am sure with the recent inflation and everything $600 is a steep price. I will be interested to see how may go and how full the stadium is.
Yup indeed, WI always sold tickets cheap though, havent spectate a game in good few years but the UK tickets are around that price, possibly.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Agree with you on the context but fiercely disagree on the propositions suggested. What is the difference between the Champions League and the World Cup when they have the same number of teams? Only in cricket can we have a World Cup with ten countries participating and celebrate it as a global event whilst having twelve full members. It isn’t just the World part that makes me laugh, it is also the Cup part of it. The Indian Premier League and the Big Bash League will have more knockout games than this supposed World Cup. Might as well call it the international T20 league that happens every four years^TM.

The format of said tournament also generates numerous dead rubbers. The only reason why the 2019 WC didn’t to that extent was because England had a mini wobble mid-tournament courtesy of Roy‘s injury. Look at the IPL this year to see how many meaningless games were played because plenty of teams knew they wouldn’t be able to qualify. The 2019 WC’s reputation all stems from NZ‘s exploits and that final. If it weren’t for those two knockout games involving the Black Caps (and a healthy dose of English media fuelles hyping) we would have called it one of the worst tournaments ever. A World Cup is a tournament where I believe every game should matter in some way and every fixture for the most part needs to be high stakes. A dead rubber should be the exception like in the past tournaments rather than the norm.

I also don’t like the test tier format as I believe it means you’ll never see the weaker side play against opposition that are clearly much better. I believe that whilst it results in thrashings it also helps the weaker sides gain much valuable experience beneficial in the long run. That can be sorted by arranging friendly tests I suppose between nations in different tiers. However I feel having only one side be promoted over a four year cycle is too slow and will just disincentivise countries from taking the entire concept seriously as they would have no chance of ever getting into the first tier.

In conclusion I feel you’re being as short-sighted over the progress that can be made by other countries as our glorious administrators in today’s sport are.

The World Cup I have suggested every 4 years in the T20 format is a knockout after the league stage. We just don't have enough countries that play high level cricket to make it a Wimbledon style or even a FIFA style format.

As for the test format, you can make it a two year cycle but having teams like Afghanistan thrashed by India in 2 days will only crush their spirit. It will obviously take a long time for them to catch up. There is no short term fix.

I am not being short sighted, I am safeguarding the tests between countries that care about it while providing a window for upcoming nations to make a stake for the same. In the mean time, the white ball game will allow admins to see which nation can actually make a claim to fight with the top dogs.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I will gladly take everyone playing IPL the whole year, and Babar and Shaheen trashing D-list international teams to break all records :D
Maybe when Sachin's ODI runs record in in danger they'll let us play IPL :laughter:

Bevab

Staff Member
Mumbai Indians 2018 nostalgia feels out there tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread