India

I will see how long the ICC can try to curb the flow of T20 in international cricket. We will see! Sometime or the other, its going to give way. People didnt know about the potential of this format to entertain people, and thats why ODI's did well. Tests will always have its place (although only the die hard fans of test cricket will visit it as opposed to earlier when people had one lesser option with the non-existence of Twenty20 cricket)

It might be the future of domestic cricket, but test cricket will survive as will ODI cricket. T20 is just a fad.
TBH, at the rate T20 is growing (I think there's going to be another World Cup fairly soon... next year?) and the successive failures of a couple of ICC ODI events (2007 WC) I think ODIs may be on the way out. Not anytime soon, obviously, since the World Cup is booked up till 2019, IIRC, but definitely things are going to change.

No, its quite important man. This is THE FUTURE OF CRICKET! Accept it or not, this format is going to reduce the number of games drastically for one of the two other formats. This spells more money, more excitement and the skills needed here are completely different. Its not easy. For example, not a lot of these guys who play test and ODI's so well can withstand the pressure pumping in them when you got to score 19 off the last over? Not many can do it.

1) Am I getting paid to watch cricket? No. I'm not.
2) It doesn't make the skills needed more important or more respectable.
3) The difficulty of test cricket lies in its name.
4) There's pressure in test cricket too. The pressure is just sustained over 5 days as opposed to 20 overs. Can Yuvraj withstand the pressure of test cricket, for example? No, he cannot. But can Dravid handle the pressure of Twenty20 cricket? Yes, he can.

shravi added 0 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

lol typical and expected.

Are you blind? I explained myself right after that. F'in hell.

Well...Well...The Indian Media and the public have gone totally CRAZy.....They're telling Dhoni to quit what idiots.....:mad::mad:

G'day g'day!
Didn't quite work out for India though to be fair most of the players were pretty tired from the IPL. Also hopefully selectors will realise that players like Jadeja, Gambhir lack powerful shots and are better suited for slower paced One day game. Rohit Sharma surprised me but didn't disaappoint when it mattered the most, very typical of Mumbai players. That's why they should look at getting him into test matches and that's about it. Loss of Sehwag hurt since despite his bad form, a quick 25 off 10 balls can be effective at the top order. Dhoni made few bad calls with the batting order for sure and will hopefully learn from the experience. And last but not least, it's about bloody time Indians learned how to pull a cricket ball past the boundary line with conviction. Overall, I've been hardly watching any game since IPL was quite exhausting enough for me so results in this T20 are meaningless (for me). The feeling is kinda like how West Indies lost their 3 months of hard-work in an unneccesary 2 test match series recently. I hope South Africe win this one as they are looking good and have put in the required hard yards.

1) Am I getting paid to watch cricket? No. I'm not.
2) It doesn't make the skills needed more important or more respectable.
3) The difficulty of test cricket lies in its name.
4) There's pressure in test cricket too. The pressure is just sustained over 5 days as opposed to 20 overs. Can Yuvraj withstand the pressure of test cricket, for example? No, he cannot. But can Dravid handle the pressure of Twenty20 cricket? Yes, he can.

1. What did you try to mean there? Not clear... More people in the ground, more money and more success. Less people in the ground, less money fills the coffers and so the interest in the format starts dwindling to the point where they decide the future of the format

2. I never said T20 > tests. But its not a format that can be instantly rubbished. Just as all T20 players cant play tests, many test players dont fit T20's. You got to keep scoring runs too often. Even a single dot ball is gold. Sometimes you might need to hit every ball to the boundary (or over!). T20 has its own skills that you need to counter.

3. Yeah.. So? Shall we find a new name for Twenty20 then?

4. If Dravid can handle the pressure of Twenty20, why is he not playing for the national team? FYI, Yuvraj has played so many test matches and has a few hundreds in test cricket. He can withstand the pressure of test cricket. His problem is his technique which is not suited for test cricket.

I guess the only blame I can put is on Dhoni. Horrible captaincy, sending Jadeja up the order when the run rate was already slow, and them himself batting SO slow even when they needed 61 off 30 deliveries! How can he just chip shots down for a single and walk so comfortably in that situation!

Well...Well...The Indian Media and the public have gone totally CRAZy.....They're telling Dhoni to quit what idiots.....:mad::mad:

That's the problem with Indian media as they seem to have forgotten how well Dhoni has performed in the past. Also he has the right explantion and sound attitude when it comes to loosing unlike our ex-captains. And on a given day, there's only one winner and that can't be India all the time.

Really? Have they started it? Anyways, this was bound to happen because the media and Dhoni have shared a turbulent relationship especially during this tournament.

I dont see anyone else in India apart from Dhoni who can lead India successfully. Sehwag is a poor captain, Yuvraj is in the same boat, Zaheer is not fit enough to stay in the side consistently, Gambhir and Raina are too raw in intl cricket and have their own technical problems. Only Dhoni is permanent and is best suited to lead India. Dhoni is our captain atleast until the 2011 World Cup.

I think for the next upcoming series, we might see changes in the Indian side. I wish to see Manish Pandey being tried. I want the selectors to try some good backup fast bowlers. Ishant is horrible in the shorter format (he can manage in ODI's but he is definitely not cut out for T20). Zaheer gets unfit pretty easily. Irfan is just in the side on his reputation. RP Singh blows hot and cold, and the same is the case with Praveen. I will never ever have any hope in Irfan. Harbhajan and Ojha seem to be slotted in well, and we have Piyush in the wings. So our spin department is pretty good. We got to try some different fast bowlers who can bowl on lifeless tracks in India and the subcontinent (if they can do it, they can definitely bowl on helpful tracks abroad). Ishant's failure in this format has really set us back.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the blind followers of "Kick Dhoni out". I'm merely criticising his behaviour and decisions in teh last two matches, and am horrified as to how the Dhoni who has led so well in the past could do such things in the crucial time. If I praised him before, I ought to criticize him again.

We play our first ODI match in the West Indies in just 11 days. So there's a chance for us to fix some things. After that, it appears that we (finally) have a break from cricket so it'll give the chance for the players to reflect on the year.

I think Dhoni is just overworked, at the moment. A break should do him and the rest of the team good. And we now have 11 days to prepare for the barrage of short pitch deliveries we're undoubtedly going to get in the West Indies.

We play our first ODI match in the West Indies in just 11 days. So there's a chance for us to fix some things. After that, it appears that we (finally) have a break from cricket so it'll give the chance for the players to reflect on the year.

I think Dhoni is just overworked, at the moment. A break should do him and the rest of the team good. And we now have 11 days to prepare for the barrage of short pitch deliveries we're undoubtedly going to get in the West Indies.

I think Dhoni should skip the West Indies series (just like he did against SL for the test series in SL). Its Dhoni who needs a big rest now. The ICC champions trophy is starting on September 24th (thats a 50-over one but still teams like Australia, South Africa, etc are champions). We got to win that this year to heal the wounds of this loss in the Twenty20 World Cup. Winning the 50-over major tournament is bigger and better than winning the 20-over World Cup (although this is also important enough)

Its just miserable to see these Indian News Channels piling up all blame on Dhoni.
Theres a poll going on now in Times now asking,'Should Dhoni step down from Captaincy?' and most of the answers are 'Yes'.How come the Indian public be forgetting things this often.Dhoni was regarded as a hero just a week or two back and now they are asking for his step down.Foolish and Irresponsible Indian media !

Users who are viewing this thread