Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the PCB is instead on the end of the wrath of some of it's best cricketers.

They ditched Inzamam after his retirement from ODIs, then according to Abdul Razzaq, the manner in which they picked the T20 team was offensive to veterans who had always given their best to their country. Yousuf would have been regarded by the PCB as their protection for the decision on Inzamam, but instead their test hopes are now more dismal.

In their hubris they thought those players would just sit and take the ragdoll treatment, but now if they carry out their threats of banning them from the team, it will hurt them a lot more than it hurts the players.

The boards aren't slaves to the players and shouldn't pick players just to keep players happy*. Razzaq blaming the PCB is ridiculous, if you're doing it for the money fair enough: just say so. I am not one to romanticise on the great honour of representing one's country in sports - ultimately cricket is still a job but to blame the board for his defection is appalling. After all his form has been patchy for an extended period of time. The fact that he hasn't ruled out a return to International Cricket also shows he really isn't offended but in it for the money. This again I don't deplore, rather his hiding of his mercenary nature.

*Although I would have picked Razzaq and Yousuf for the cup especially as Khan can't particularly play T20

The boards in India and Pakistan aren't slaves to the players but it doesn't work the other way either, does it (especially in India). The BCCI is basically trying to form a dictatorship in Indian cricket. It can be argued that they are destroying the future livelihood of a budding Indian cricketer by banning them from a tournament that would take place during the early stages of the domestic season.

Why would Yousuf throw away his Test career? He is their best batsmen, and now that Test career will be in jeapordy.

Hedging his bets I guess. He can make good money from joining the breakaway league, arguably more than from his PCB contract. He won't lose his other endorsements for a little while and there is every chance that if enough top players join the league or if its a roaring success that he'll be able to restart his international career in a year or so, once the BCCI stop being babies and allow a little competition.

Yes, its a gamble but he's not going to be much out of pocket.

So ICL guys have got the big support from Kolkata.They can use Eden Gardens.Thats a huge boost for them.

State minister allows ICL use of Eden Gardens

August 23, 2007

The Indian Cricket League (ICL) has received support from an unexpected quarter with West Bengal sports minister Subhash Chakraborty saying the ICL would be allowed to use the Eden Gardens and other grounds in the state.

"Whatever facilities we have, we will make available to the boys who have been punished, particularly by the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB)," Chakraborty told NDTV, an Indian television channel. "I have no objection. All the fields will be available for them as all the fields are available for CAB. The owner of the fields is the state government not any other body. The Eden Gardens was looked after by CAB. Now the lease period is over and it is state government's property. If Kapil and others like to play in Eden Gardens, I would allow it. What is the harm in it?"

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/icl/content/current/story/308020.html

Also John Buchanan could be the next big signing for ICL.

Wow having the Eden Gardens is a huge boost. Largest stadium in India! Looks like all the politics in cricket is helping ICL out.

^^ What if Jagmohan Dalmiya joins ICL? :p

I remember Brian Lara's interview few months ago he said "if there is one place where he wants to hang his boots that would be Eden Gardens."He loves the atmosphere there.

Last edited:
Gavaskar Vs Kapil once more?

Gavaskar to head league that will rival ICL

Newspaper reports BCCI to start its own league

Cricinfo staff

August 23, 2007

The Indian board (BCCI) is reportedly planning to start its own league to rival the Indian Cricket League. The BCCI is, however, yet to confirm it.

Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/308036.html

Could be interesting, the BCCI still have control (parodn the pun) and so if the plans go forward would surely trounce the ICL, especially if they can get stars like Sachin Tendulkar or Virendar Sehwag to play. Star power in India is greater than anywhere else in the world and somehow I don't think the stars of the ICL like Imran Farhat ([sarcasm]wow![/sarcasm]) will have quite as much impact.

PS: Do not start a new thread on this till it is confirmed by the BCCI.

Thanks to ICL if its true.Finally we will have a Professional League.I can see a very good future for indian cricket now.

Doesn't the BCCI already have it's own leagues? What are the Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy, Deodhar Trophy, Irani Trophy and Ranji OD tournament for, then? If this is indeed true it is only further proof that the BCCI are showing to the worlds that they are scared idiots.

Doesn't the BCCI already have it's own leagues? What are the Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy, Deodhar Trophy, Irani Trophy and Ranji OD tournament for, then? If this is indeed true it is only further proof that the BCCI are showing to the worlds that they are scared idiots.

The same thought occured to me. If the BCCI are so damn good at administration of the game, they should not be so worried about the impact of the ICL.

Banning players from joining the ICL, hiking wages, the planned 20-20 professional league -- all shows their desperation. The wage-hike in particular seems to me to indicate that the BCCI have been grossly underpaying domestic players till date, so the ICL has actually rendered a service to official domestic cricket players in India by introducing competition.

Who the hell are Lalit Modi and Niranjan Shah anyway and have these guys even seen a cricket bat and ball in their lives?

^^ You dont know who is Lalit Modi? I think he is the only man in BCCI right now who has a very intelligent head on his shoulders.He single handedly changed the Rajasthan Cricket Association as he is the chief of RCA.Jaipur's cricket stadium is an example of that.Its not that all the cricketers should form any cricket body they need guys like Lalit Modi who can earn them sponsors like Nike,etc.

Here is an example of Lalit Modi's mind

Four-nation tournament on the lines of Champions League football

BCCI plans international Twenty20 league

The Board of Control for Cricket in India is on the verge of forming a two-tier cricket league that will involve domestic leagues in four countries and an international league. It's believed to be along the lines of professional football, with clubs being able to hire players from wherever they like to play in a Twenty20 format. Cricket Australia is believed to be involved in the process and the International Management Group (IMG), the event manager, is putting it all together.

IMG is set to meet with officials of four cricket boards - India, Australia, South Africa and England - next week in Singapore, to finalise the details. According to the deal, details of which first appeared in Hindustan Times, there will be domestic leagues in these countries, where the cricket economy can support such a structure. Players from other countries, including Pakistan and Sri Lanka, will be able to take part in any of these leagues.

Further, the top sides from each of the four leagues, likely to be called Professional Cricket Leagues, will then take part in a Champions Cricket League, similar to the Champions League in football.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/308135.html

Last edited:
Yes I read about this yesterday on ICF and it seems like it has been under planning for a long time. I don't like this because if they are trying to emulate the system in place in football, it is no doubt that they are actually selling out the international game.

The ICL is gaining more momentum as it seems that Jagmohan Dalmiya is interested as well.

With more well-known domestic players opting for the ICL I see the BCCI having a lot on its plate at the moment. Cricketers seem naturally more sympathetic to Kapil Dev after his ouster from the NCA and the sentiment seems to be with him as a retired cricketing legend rather than the political bosses of the BCCI.

The ICL's pay packet is also awesome considering current domestic cricket standards, but I wonder how long they can sustain that kind of a salary. It all depends on the ICL's first 20-20 tournament.

Seems like they will need the tournament to be a phenomenal success to justify it. However, Subhash Chandra may just continue to pour money into it to spite the BCCI.

Users who are viewing this thread