Indian Cricket League(ICL)

How do you rate the fielding standards in ICL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The game today was ok between Chennai and Kolkata, came to a bit of an anti climax when Kolkata's big hitters got out, I thought they might be the better team but well played Chennai.

I think this has been quite a good tournament its found quite a few young gems,
Jhunjhunwala - He looks like quite a good batsmen.
Tiru Kumaran - He looks good now 30, but looked avery good bowler,
Tarafdar - He looked another good bowler, getting the wicket of one of the openers and the Chris Read

What would be good would be an all star ICL XI against a Stanford XI(is the West Indian version not really rebel though)

Satish looks a quality all round player i have to say.

I must say that the first semi-final was a let-down in terms of a close contest. Although my home team (the Chennai Superstars) won comfortably, so I'm happy. Kolkata Tigers were walloped by Stuart Law and company. ;) I think Thiru Kumaran might prove to be an excellent death bowler.

Hope the Delhi Jets vs. Chandigarh Lions is closer.

Lions will kick ass. :happy:p:cool::D

The ICL is certainly lacking a certain X-factor of excitment. The matches are all a bit 'meh' and I think that it is largely due to the lack of elegant stroke makers and geniune fast bowlers in the tournament. The competition is an ugly contest between ugly sloggers/nudgers and medium pacers/spinners and it does not make good viewing. The whole thing plays like the middle overs of 50 over game.

The final is anyone's game but I think that the Superstars may clinch it as the required run rate creaps up. That being said, I put nothing past Cairns' late order hitting.

In other news, the ICL has planned an expansion in 2008 involving four more tournaments starting with a 50 over tournament in Februrary.

Click here for more information.

Congratulation to Superstars fans for the inaugral ICL win.

Well they had to win cos they had whole Tamil Nadu state team with them.

ya superstars deserved to win,they were the best team through out the tournament.

very sad that wont see shabbir play for pakistan ever again
hope they unban him and razzaq cos without these 2 pakistan cricket is headed down the drains

I don't think IPL will be any better tbh. It'll just be very good players but who really don't care. It on't be the same spectical.

The ICL is certainly lacking a certain X-factor of excitment. The matches are all a bit 'meh' and I think that it is largely due to the lack of elegant stroke makers and geniune fast bowlers in the tournament. The competition is an ugly contest between ugly sloggers/nudgers and medium pacers/spinners and it does not make good viewing. The whole thing plays like the middle overs of 50 over game.

You cannot compare the World Twenty20 tournament to ICL which is a domestic tournament. Obviously you won't get tearaway fast bowlers here in India, but I differ on the strokemakers. We had some brilliant knocks in this tournament and little slogging - most of the shots were genuine cricket strokes.

And about the T20 excitement. It's a bit of a hit-and-miss format in any case, isn't it? You cannot blame the ICL for it. Some matches were bound to be one-sided.

The final is anyone's game but I think that the Superstars may clinch it as the required run rate creaps up. That being said, I put nothing past Cairns' late order hitting.

I've been disappointed in the big names in this tournament: the likes of Cairns, Inzamam and Lara should have done more for their teams. But again, T20 being the hit-and-miss format it is, you would expect failures from anybody.

In other news, the ICL has planned an expansion in 2008 involving four more tournaments starting with a 50 over tournament in Februrary.

Click here for more information.

It looks very ambitious. The biggest problem will be getting the grounds in shape for a full-fledged ODI tournament. Zee has very deep pockets, no doubt about it. But do they have enough political support to fend off the BCCI?

I've been disappointed in the big names in this tournament: the likes of Cairns, Inzamam and Lara should have done more for their teams.

Agreed with Lara. I doubt anyone played worse then him. Inzamam however had a very strong tournament from the scorecards i'm reading. Cairns was also really good considering how low he was batting (which was bad, he should have been higher) he was the 3rd highest six hitter and had one of the highest scores. Astle had a poor tournament with the bat too.

Last edited:
The tournament is a big success considering the fact that they converted a dumped playground into a average playfield in just 1 month. The situation would have been diffrent had they got the hand on Sec-16 ground which was used in Australia-India match in Future Cup. But again BCCI flexed its muscles there.
From what I have heard they are coming up with stadium in Gurgaon and as Lalu promised they can use stadiums owned by Railways. So no problem of stadium as such.
The performance of many of international players was very ordinary to say the least. But that is good because it ment that local Indain talent came to party and that is what exactly what the mission should be. Not like IPL which has filled its teams with all international players making it league of international player playing in India.
As far as no fast bowlers and good hitters, its domestic tournament and if you dont have any fast bowler in Indian team how can you expect the same in domestic teams?

Sucess of ICL:
Abhishek Jhunjhunwala - Brilliant fielder at point and good batsmen. Also hes 20.
Sujoy Tarafdar - Again 17 year old and good swinging bowler like Agarkar was in his young days.
TP Singh - Good aggresive batsmen and best fielder in ICL.
Powar and Khanolkar - In dismal batting display by Champs these two starred with bat as likes of Lara, Astle and Solanki failed with bat.
Thiru Kumaran - Well he had international experience to back him but still he is much improved bowler than what he was at international level. Bowled with great control and guile.
Ali Murtaza - Another 17 year old with good cricket brain. Went for 4.6 rpo in 7 matches and no body could get hold of him.
R. Satish - Hes vice captain of Superstars and very cool head in middle overs. Never let pressure get to him like his coach Beaven.
S.Abbas Ali - Dangerous left hander. Can hit them to any parts of ground.

the 20-20 format did well for the icl but hjave my doubts if the 50ovr format will do well.

Users who are viewing this thread