Indian Domestic Cricket

I was wondering if there's any prospective pace bowler who's in their 20s. I understand Ishant Sharma is one possibility (and 19) but any others? Also, how's the fielding standards with the younger generation.

I was wondering if there's any prospective pace bowler who's in their 20s. I understand Ishant Sharma is one possibility (and 19) but any others? Also, how's the fielding standards with the younger generation.
The fielding standards are definitely getting better. As for pace bowlers, I think Pankaj Singh and Praveen Kumar are two possibilities. Neither are out and out fast bowlers but more of the line-length type.

Definitely getting better indeed. Tiwary, Badrinath (not young but hey), Raina, Asnodkar (from Goa), Rohit Sharma, Joginder Sharma are all great fielders.

Talking about Jogi, if he increases his pace by a couple of yards, he's definitely in with a shot of a place in the side.

UP's tyagi and delhi's sangawan,both in the 1st season are rated highly.

2 Pace bowlers/ all rounders off the top of my head, Yo Mahesh and Saurabh Bandekar. They are meant to be very promising.

Yo Mahesh has not lived up to his U19 hype, and at the moment, there are far many bowlers bowling much better than him. His stint with Frazier(I think) was his major decline, as he was told to reduce his speed a lot, and well, it's done him more harm than good. Bandekar, though, I haven't seen a lot of, and in the Challenger Series looked quite mediocre.

Personally, I'd have to agree with the theory of Tyagi and Sangwan being the finds of the season in the pace department. I haven't seen Sangwan, but his record speaks for him, and, Tyagi, who I watched on Neo Sports, was quite impressive. I think his pace is in the 140s, if I remember correctly, and he seemed to have good control.

I'm honestly going to be very surprised if I don't see Badri in the Indian team in 2008. Yes, there's currently no place for him, but I think it's time we asked the question about how long the Big 3 are going to last? Of course, Sachin and Ganguly are in tremendous form, but what about young hopefuls getting a chance and the building of a solid team for the next WC? Badri should've toured Bangladesh once Tiwary got injured though, instead of Mongia; another witty mistake on the selector's part. We've already missed the services of Muzumdar and Manhas, and hopefully, we won't miss Badri's talents which have gone unrewarded the past few seasons.

Batting-wise this season, I've got to hand the top prize to Pujara, who's helped Saurashtra into the semis, and has had a second successful season in a row. He looks very similar to Dravid IMO, but that could be totally different for some people. Raina and Tiwary had fairly good season too, both getting runs, and will still remain on the brink on India selection. Though, Bengal getting relegated might mean some work to be done by Tiwary(your team losing 4 key batsmen to the ICL doesn't help though) and, possibly the end of Ranadeb Bose's chances to play for India. Murali Vijay MUST get a look in at least the India A squad. He's 23 and is brilliant at all 3 forms of the game, and personally, could be a very good bat for the future; was in the probables for the T20 World Cup.

Vikram Singh and Virender Sehwag were rubbish choices IMO, on domestic form at least. Bose, and Chopra/Gambhir (who are both miles better than Sehwag) should've gone. What's more is that Gambhir was playing in a Ranji match and scored 80 something runs on Boxing Day, the same day of the first test match. Ranadeb Bose can swing the ball both ways, and has a lot of variation which makes up well for his lack of pace. He did take 5 wickets in a warm-up match in England, and I still don't get the idea of not picking him.

17 year old Abhinav Mukund and Tanmay Srivastava (18, I think) are both promising bats and Mukund has shown class this season with consecutive centuries. Srivastava is the U19 captain, and in great form in the U19 tourney being played currently, along with keeper Shreevats Goswami. India's U19 Team looks very solid yet again this year, as Ravindra Jadeja will be there as well, as long as there are no injury concerns.

Meh, my take on Ranji so far. ^^

I'm surprised you didn't mention Virat Kohli actually, that guy is incredible for his age. When he gets a century, it's a big one.

Both Raina and Tiwary were better than fairly good in the Challenger Trophy, stunning to watch.

UP and Delhi will win easily to set up very good final clash.

I don't think we should usher any under-19 or under-21 batsman into the team now given that we have so many performers in their mid-20s.

Tiwary going into Plate League may help his cause because the bowling will be weaker and he may end up getting too many big scores to be ignored.

Tiwary going into Plate League may help his cause because the bowling will be weaker and he may end up getting too many big scores to be ignored.

I don't think that runs in the Plate League should count too much toward international selection. The level is too low in my opinion. I think the most prolific performers should get a go with India A before the full squad. A run in India A is necessary to distinguish the Plate League bullies from the batsmen.

I don't think that runs in the Plate League should count too much toward international selection. The level is too low in my opinion. I think the most prolific performers should get a go with India A before the full squad. A run in India A is necessary to distinguish the Plate League bullies from the batsmen.
Yes, though you are starting to give far too much credit to the selectors' level of intellectuality.

level of intellectuality.

Intelligence?:p

Whilst we are on the topic of A Teams, I think that India should have an A and B team. The A Team comprised of teams from the Super League and B Team from Plate League and uncapped youth players. A team of about 15 could tour a specific country for an entire off season, such as England in their summer (but India's off season). The A and B teams could also play each other in FC and 50 over tournaments too.

Just a thought...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread