Indian Domestic Cricket

Yup especially Rahane.Scored a peach of a knock when the top order tumbled.Rahane has amazing stats.If they are anything to go by,hes the more deserving guy from Mumbai than Rohit Sharma for an Indian Test spot..

Manish Pandey not out on 76 :banana2. What a season he's having. I'm fairly close to jumping on the Pandey bandwagon now.

http://www.cricinfo.com/indiandomestic2009/engine/current/match/412787.html

He has 2 centuries and 4 fifties in 10 innings at an average of 70.

Other prolific performers include Ajinkya Rahane, Subramaniam Badrinath, Arun Karthik, Cheteshwar Pujara, Murali Vijay and to a lesser extent, Abhinav Mukund. These are players who have some chance of playing for India. I left out players such as CR Pathak, Wasim Jaffer and Parthiv Patel. Although if Parthiv keeps making runs like this he has a good chance of becoming our second wicket keeper.

http://www.cricinfo.com/indiandomes...domestic2009/engine/current/match/412787.html

From bowlers who could possibly play for India in the near future- Irfan Pathan, Vinay Kumar (ugh) and Piyush Chawla (w00t) are high on the wicket taking list with Vinay Kumar at the top.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ranjisupe...t_wickets_career.html?id=5192;type=tournament

... and Pandey gets 115 (147).

Last edited:
Seems TN will miss out on a semifinal birth after performing so well for the whole season.Still hoping we somehow get them all out and secure the first innings lead.

Rahane with 2 centuries in the match :clap.

Tamil Nadu is out. Damn. I really think Tamil Nadu is a better team than Delhi. They have to make more result oriented pitches because this higher score in the first innings rule is really stupid. Or at least adopt the point system that is in place in the English County Championship.

Last edited:
Pandey:hpraise:hpraise115..!!
He should be the one replacing Dravid after his retirement.

Not in test cricket. We have better players up and waiting to replace the likes of Dravid and Tendulkar. Guys like Badrinath, Pujara, Rahane have all performed for a long time and more than Pandey.

Not in test cricket. We have better players up and waiting to replace the likes of Dravid and Tendulkar. Guys like Badrinath, Pujara, Rahane have all performed for a long time and more than Pandey.

1) Subramaniam Badrinath
2) Manoj Tiwary
3) Ajinkya Rahane
4) Cheteshwar Pujara
5) Manish Pandey

That's the pecking order, I think. Of course, Virat Kohli is not on that list because he has already played for India and seems to be regularly in the selectors' minds. He will probably get the nod first because he will have more experience at the international level when Sachin/Dravid/Laxman retire.

From bowlers who could possibly play for India in the near future- Irfan Pathan, Vinay Kumar (ugh) and Piyush Chawla (w00t) are high on the wicket taking list with Vinay Kumar at the top.

Not a fan of Vinay Kumar? I think he should be fourth in line for a Test seamer spot, behind Zaheer, Sreesanth and Ishant.

I'd love to see Irfan Pathan play one more full year in the Ranji Trophy and see how he gets on. I think that injuries may force him to play in an ODI or T20 before that and disrupt his domestic cricket, but I think it'll be good to see what a few years on the domestic circuit, away from India colours, will do for him. My theory about him is that his form slump where he lost pace in late 2006 and early 2007 was massively overestimated. He was still hoop swinging the ball, just at a reduced pace - probably down to injury. To combat this, he remodelled his action and has potentially removed the hoop swing from his bowling in favour of a weird, flat trajectory. His strong domestic performances do give me optimism that he is bowling well, though.

Chawla is the real one to get excited about. He has had a few poor years in the Indian circuit amongst some strong A Team performances and ODI performances. This year, he has managed to suppliment a very strong season for Sussex with one for Uttar Pradesh. I was beginning to fear that he did not know how to bowl on Indian tracks, but he clearly has more than clued up about it.

Not a fan of Vinay Kumar? I think he should be fourth in line for a Test seamer spot, behind Zaheer, Sreesanth and Ishant.

I'd love to see Irfan Pathan play one more full year in the Ranji Trophy and see how he gets on. I think that injuries may force him to play in an ODI or T20 before that and disrupt his domestic cricket, but I think it'll be good to see what a few years on the domestic circuit, away from India colours, will do for him. My theory about him is that his form slump where he lost pace in late 2006 and early 2007 was massively overestimated. He was still hoop swinging the ball, just at a reduced pace - probably down to injury. To combat this, he remodelled his action and has potentially removed the hoop swing from his bowling in favour of a weird, flat trajectory. His strong domestic performances do give me optimism that he is bowling well, though.

Chawla is the real one to get excited about. He has had a few poor years in the Indian circuit amongst some strong A Team performances and ODI performances. This year, he has managed to suppliment a very strong season for Sussex with one for Uttar Pradesh. I was beginning to fear that he did not know how to bowl on Indian tracks, but he clearly has more than clued up about it.

What is 'hoop swinging'? Couldnt understand the term.

I am keen to see Chawla's progress. He has been very impressive on county circuit and he has always been a very promising talent. He was inducted too early into his career, and pretty soon he will approach an age where it will be very ripe to induct him and see how he goes in international circuit. We might do well if we select Chawla for the T20 World Cup thats coming up in the West Indies in 2010. Harbhajan needs good backup and I believe Chawla can be one. Ojha will be the third spinner. Mishra will be just for the tests.

Badri is 30 and the The Trio will at least play for an year.
So, why don;t we take in Manish Pandey and prepare him for future??
If you get in Badrinath, he maximum play for 6 years and then announce retirement. But if you go with someone like Pandey or Kohli, they still play for 10 to 15 years:)

What do we benefit by having a player play for 10-15 years (apart from the player benefitting by having his stats really blown up due to that many years of playing)? Why not use Badrinath's 6 years and then use Pandey's 10 years (Pandey will sneak in well before Badri retires if he gets his spot). When the likes of Jayasuriya and Sachin can play till 37-38, Badri can play another 8-9 years if he keeps his fitness up (which he looks like doing).

For Manish, its too early for a test call. Yes, a T20 and ODI call is definitely coming up but there too, the batting order is so packed that he cant even think of an entry into the 15 (we have Sehwag, Sachin and Gambhir for opening). We have Yuvraj, Raina, Kohli, Dhoni, Uthappa, Rohit Sharma fighting for the middle order spots.

What do we benefit by having a player play for 10-15 years (apart from the player benefitting by having his stats really blown up due to that many years of playing)? Why not use Badrinath's 6 years and then use Pandey's 10 years (Pandey will sneak in well before Badri retires if he gets his spot). When the likes of Jayasuriya and Sachin can play till 37-38, Badri can play another 8-9 years if he keeps his fitness up (which he looks like doing).

For Manish, its too early for a test call. Yes, a T20 and ODI call is definitely coming up but there too, the batting order is so packed that he cant even think of an entry into the 15 (we have Sehwag, Sachin and Gambhir for opening). We have Yuvraj, Raina, Kohli, Dhoni, Uthappa, Rohit Sharma fighting for the middle order spots.

Why does Dhoni Fight??:laugh
I do agree, then why did they get in Tendulkar at his childish ages??

Users who are viewing this thread