Indian Domestic Cricket

Yuvraj 204*...FML.

Ashwin is such a boss. Another 5 fer. Fast track this guy into the team ASAP! Get Chawla in as well, looks like he's gotten a lot better.

Just when I posted, Rahane got out. And, yeah Ashwin is brilliant. He's a tough character and can be handy for India. Not sure about Chawla.

guys, those who've been following Indian Domestic cricket past 2-3 years, can you please enlighten me who all are good prospects in fast bowling??
i dont understand why every young fast bowler our selectors pick gets thrashed in his ODIs stint? and then completely forgotten?
i would like to see R Vinay Kumar being given a prolong stint. Ishant to me seems a very predictable bowler.

Meh, young fast bowlers are a rarity. Mithun is solid, but has played only one season. Lately, Unadkat has been hyped, but he hasn't played any Ranji cricket yet. From what I saw in the U-19 World Cup though, I can say that Unadkat has potential, but lacks control at this stage.

Watching today's match, Tyagi's lost pace, going down the traditional Indian bowler route, Rahane is in some awesome form, but got out to the short ball, Jadeja is awesome against domestic attacks, Saurabh Tiwary was looking good until he got run out and as long as Indian domestic teams consist of medium pacers and spinners, Yusuf Pathan will be dangerous.

Bit disappointed with Pandey and Kohli, hope they come good later in the tournament. Pandey needs to stop being so circumspect at the start of an innings, it's his main weakness imo(Dhawan took a brilliant reflex catch to dismiss him today though), and Kohli looked good today while he was out there.

India Red's fielding was highly impressive, except for Yusuf Pathan, and they have a lot of players from that U-19 Winning team - Pandey, Kohli, S Tiwary, Abdulla. Mukund was a part of India Red before his call-up to the national side as well. Goswami and Jadeja from that squad are a part of India Blue, and I believe Srivastava is a part of India Green. Sangwan's fall has been disappointing though, hope he gets his act together this season.

guys, those who've been following Indian Domestic cricket past 2-3 years, can you please enlighten me who all are good prospects in fast bowling??
i dont understand why every young fast bowler our selectors pick gets thrashed in his ODIs stint? and then completely forgotten?
i would like to see R Vinay Kumar being given a prolong stint. Ishant to me seems a very predictable bowler.

I dont see Vinay Kumar being a success in ODI's. In T20's, he could be because batsmen are always going for the shots, and bowlers with change of pace and variations can succeed. In ODI's, batsmen have more time and so these kinds of bowlers will mostly succeed only in the death overs. If Vinay Kumar bowls early, he will be spanked.

SaiSrini added 1 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Just when I posted, Rahane got out. And, yeah Ashwin is brilliant. He's a tough character and can be handy for India. Not sure about Chawla.

Waiting for Ashwin to be given enough chances in ODI's and T20's for India. He has been mighty impressive. We need replacement for Harbhajan who is not impressing at all these days.

Meh, young fast bowlers are a rarity. Mithun is solid, but has played only one season. Lately, Unadkat has been hyped, but he hasn't played any Ranji cricket yet. From what I saw in the U-19 World Cup though, I can say that Unadkat has potential, but lacks control at this stage.

Watching today's match, Tyagi's lost pace, going down the traditional Indian bowler route, Rahane is in some awesome form, but got out to the short ball, Jadeja is awesome against domestic attacks, Saurabh Tiwary was looking good until he got run out and as long as Indian domestic teams consist of medium pacers and spinners, Yusuf Pathan will be dangerous.

Bit disappointed with Pandey and Kohli, hope they come good later in the tournament. Pandey needs to stop being so circumspect at the start of an innings, it's his main weakness imo(Dhawan took a brilliant reflex catch to dismiss him today though), and Kohli looked good today while he was out there.

India Red's fielding was highly impressive, except for Yusuf Pathan, and they have a lot of players from that U-19 Winning team - Pandey, Kohli, S Tiwary, Abdulla. Mukund was a part of India Red before his call-up to the national side as well. Goswami and Jadeja from that squad are a part of India Blue, and I believe Srivastava is a part of India Green. Sangwan's fall has been disappointing though, hope he gets his act together this season.

What about Yadav? Is he developing well or is he just another doomed lower league Ranjii player?

Yadav hurries a lot of Indian batsmen with his pace. Will be good in the longer format at this stage. He needs to get better control in the shorter formats. It's too early to say how he's developing, we'll have to wait another season. He's just one season old, so yeah. Really should move to the Super League though, as should Saurabh Tiwary.

There needs to be more bowler friendly pitches this season though. Domestic cricket needs to become more result-oriented. Karnataka were probably the only team last season that had bowler-friendly pitches throughout, which could also be a reason why Mithun did so well, but he also picked up a ton of wickets away from home. The bowler-friendly wickets would've definitely helped his confidence though.

On another note, RP Singh also doesn't look that good nowadays. Sad really, was really developing well around that first World T20.

Yo Mahesh was particularly impressive today. But, he's gone from U-19's best fast bowler and one of the best prospects worldwide to just a good domestic bowler. The drop in pace is crazy, courtesy Ian Frazier. He bowls late 120s-early 130s these days. Back in his U-19 days, he was consistently in the 140s with potential to improve. His bowling partner back then was Abu Nechim, who is quite fast these days for an Indian bowler - 140-145ish. I think the latter should've played today(he's in India Red iirc), but yeah, I guess some of the others were favored over him.

Last edited:
I dont see Vinay Kumar being a success in ODI's. In T20's, he could be because batsmen are always going for the shots, and bowlers with change of pace and variations can succeed. In ODI's, batsmen have more time and so these kinds of bowlers will mostly succeed only in the death overs. If Vinay Kumar bowls early, he will be spanked.

Waiting for Ashwin to be given enough chances in ODI's and T20's for India. He has been mighty impressive. We need replacement for Harbhajan who is not impressing at all these days.

Ah.. if such are your views of Vinay Kumar, you most certainly won't think he should be introduced in Test cricket? I actually want selectors to give him and Praveen Kumar a chance.
Sunil Gavaskar hit the nail on the head when he said, pacemen should either be clockiing 140/145+ or else you are better of with swing bowlers.

Regarding Ashwin as a replacement off-spinner I am very hopeful too. Also Romesh Pawar is another good option.

^^ and who is this Yadav? his full name pls. ?

Mayank Agarwal has been fairly impressive in the SMA Trophy. He's from this year's U-19 squad, one of the few impressive players, and he bats a lot like Sehwag. Will probably get a chance in the Ranji Trophy this year - definitely in the List A tournament. Excited to see how he goes for Karnataka.

Tamil Nadu completely dominated this till now, 5 wins from 5 games and Karthik was awesome in their last game.:clap

good win for mumbai in the opening match, Iqbal Abdulla impressed with the bowl. Yusuf Pathan failed to get going and ended in an 9 ball 2.

Rayudu player slowly but he was the lone warrior of their team.
Wasim Jaffer played a good cameo and Rahane supported him well in his short innings. Nayar failed an Tare finally took them home.

Users who are viewing this thread