Indian Premier League - General Discussion

I still can't get over Amla being ignored

Hotstar has scrapped the 5-min delay thing and now they are giving "All sports" at 299/year. I gotta like it a bit but still they shouldn't have taken off the free thing. I'd have enjoyed this if they had the Aus and Eng rights intact, but still IPL and EPL are enough to get the most out of the money.

Last edited:
Hotstar has scrapped the 5-min delay thing and now they are give All sports at 299/year. I gotta like it a bit but still they shouldn't have taken off the free thing. I'd have enjoyed this if they had the Aus and Eng rights intact, but still IPL and EPL are enough to get the most out of the money.
So bascially they have made it exclusive just like EPL bloody money mongers will not be suprised if they launch a starsports IPL channels in the coming years.

Hotstar has scrapped the 5-min delay thing and now they are giving "All sports" at 299/year
That's not good. I didn't mind the delayed broadcast. 300/year is reasonable amount and I would be game if they stop putting ads in between overs. Otherwise, what's the difference between streaming and watching it on TV.

Hotstar has scrapped the 5-min delay thing and now they are giving "All sports" at 299/year. I gotta like it a bit but still they shouldn't have taken off the free thing. I'd have enjoyed this if they had the Aus and Eng rights intact, but still IPL and EPL are enough to get the most out of the money.
Data/Internet will be of the user's expense?

Data/Internet will be of the user's expense?
Not a big deal as you already have a WiFi connection and a Jio 1.5GB/day, but yeah for people who don't have broadband it could turn out to be a bit expensive.

Not a big deal as you already have a WiFi connection and a Jio 1.5GB/day, but yeah for people who don't have broadband it could turn out to be a bit expensive.

What? 1.5GB/day? How can you then watch an IPL game through your broadband connection at HD quality? 1.5GB is burned up in a matter of minutes when on HD.

From the overseas (e.g. USA) perspective, I am anxiously waiting to see how Hotstar handles the live streaming of the IPL. Willow is the dominant player here in this zone when it comes to live streaming and have built their expertise from over a decade and have gotten to the point where there are absolutely no issues when it comes to live streaming of cricket games. Also their replays, video scorecards and highlights add a lot of value to the customer and are pretty seamless. This year, they (Willow) have rights only to show the IPL on their TV channels (which they provide through satellite and cable providers). Hotstar is doing well in other entertainment areas (the US Hotstar is pretty good for watching Indian shows and programmes on-demand). Wonder how they will handle live streaming.

What? 1.5GB/day? How can you then watch an IPL game through your broadband connection at HD quality? 1.5GB is burned up in a matter of minutes when on HD.

From the overseas (e.g. USA) perspective, I am anxiously waiting to see how Hotstar handles the live streaming of the IPL. Willow is the dominant player here in this zone when it comes to live streaming and have built their expertise from over a decade and have gotten to the point where there are absolutely no issues when it comes to live streaming of cricket games. Also their replays, video scorecards and highlights add a lot of value to the customer and are pretty seamless. This year, they (Willow) have rights only to show the IPL on their TV channels (which they provide through satellite and cable providers). Hotstar is doing well in other entertainment areas (the US Hotstar is pretty good for watching Indian shows and programmes on-demand). Wonder how they will handle live streaming.

With a small exception of how they were lagging and going off while the auction was going on, leaving that apart they have been fantastic.

With a small exception of how they were lagging and going off while the auction was going on, leaving that apart they have been fantastic.

Did they even telecast the auction this year? I thought Hotstar did that this year. I did not follow the auction on Willow. When it comes to live streaming of actual games, they have been fantastic, if you have a stable and fast internet connection (which is so common here in the USA, fortunately)

No FUP broadband + Jio Cellular data of 1.5GB/day*

Hotstar streams the matches at 720p and has clearly mentioned that it consumes 1 GB per hour. Very costly!

Hotstar streams the matches at 720p and has clearly mentioned that it consumes 1 GB per hour. Very costly!
Yea but when you have a broadband, it doesn't really matter.

So you stream the games on broadband (not cellular data), right? Then that sounds fine.

P.s: Just curious - what is the FUP data cap for Reliance Jio broadband?

Users who are viewing this thread